Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #51
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
After doing a bit of research I found that Joel was correct, a fork big enough to hold a ring is a fork and it only needs to be one antler! So the guy flat out lied. I'm just going to guess that the guy didn't know what he was doing and his boss is taking advantage of the fact that dh was alone and a new hunter. It really sucks, esp. since we know now it wasn't illegal. But since they have the deer and J hadn't gotten any pics and was alone we have nothing but our word against theirs. So beyond frustrating. That meat would have fed our family through the winter and J's first kill, the pride in that taken from him is what really angers me. Dh talked to some of his work buddies who took his tips and on Friday they hit that area too, they were just on the other side of the ridge from him and saw the same group of deer moving as well. His friend said both the bucks J saw were shooters. Nothing we can do but wait now. *sigh*

He was just being a bully, kwim. The guy over him was prob just covering the guys booty. Too bad there were no pics.

Well I have a OLIVE egger?!!! Pretty little Lacey the EE laid her first egg today and it is dark green and speckled brown. I am so tickled about that. So... I've been really bad about counting the eggs and I'm not sure but I think I have 9 or possibly 10 out of the 14 girls laying. I know for sure that both the wyadotte girls haven't laid, the brahma or the partridge rock. They are exactly 23weeks today.

Congrats! Lovely eggs! You'll have to include some of hers.

Sarah, I think I'm going to err on the side of possibly too low than high. It all scares me a bit! Good luck with your broody and WOOT! for Solomon being accepted into the flock!

It had to be too high Liz. I was keeping it around 70 as a median humidity. The research I was useing rec 60-65 for before day 18 and 70-75 for after day 18. I figured with multiple batched from diff days I would try to keep it at 70. That's a no go. All the reasearch I found said the egg needs to loose sooooo much of it's water content that if the humidity is too high it will stunt growth and not allow the egg to evaporate through the shell properly. I've been doing tons of reading on the dry method. It's not compleatly dry, just low untill day 18. Sounds like there is much more success. I'm gonna shoot for lower numbers in the befor day 18 stage. You can actually go as low as 25%. I'm just too scared to go that low. I'm gonna do more reading on it. Oh, did you mean that you will keep it lower than higher? Or, did you mean that was prob what happened to these? Sorry. Just realised you could be talking about either.

Here's my egg basket today, pretty soon I won't be able to tell them apart.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #52
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

AHHHHH! That Dag UM grey can was getting Daisey May again! I could only get to the 9 and couldn't take the shot in that direction. ERRRRR! It sat there mocking me. I ran to get in the safe and dang ray moved the combo for the safe. I could have walked to the other side and got it with the 22 or shot gun. The 12 gauge prob would have thrown my neck into a tizzy but it would have been worth it. It's impossible to see the thing with that dark grey fur. You need a spotlight on the gang gun. it's gonna kill my cat and chickens! It's getting more brave comin in before the the is all the way down. Crap, need in that safe!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #53
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

ugh, sorry about the cat. I meant that for my hatches, I'd keep my humidity low over all for the whole hatch. I'm going to shoot for 40-45% for the first 18 days then up to 55-60% for lockdown.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #54
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol, sounds good!

I still have to do more research before I come up with new numbers for sure. I don't like the numbers I'm at now.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #55
new_mommy78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ugggh...so I think that I am just going to keep my 2 new babies in a smaller coop till they get bigger. One of my bigger girls is just SO mean to them. I know they need to figure out the new pecking order so to speak, but I just can't stand to see the 2 babies so scared.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #56
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

They are a bit young. Have you tried free ranging them together?

Ugh, so the more I think about it the more I'm not 100% sure whether I want to balance chicks and setting out a whole garden in the spring. Need to think about it some more. Might have to do a Feb. hatch or wait until the garden is getting established and most is planted out in may.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-06-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #57
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's really best to let them get a little size and get to know eachother through a barrier. Good call.

Hey Liz, one this thermostst hookup I have an issue.
Is the top screw the #1? What wire does it hook to, smooth or ribbed? I went to plug it in a min ago and it sparked so I imediately stopped! Ray's at work. I think I have the ribbed to silver light screw -> top screw. There is no # on the screws. I had it with the adjuster at the bottom looking at it, screws at top. Just thought by the crappy graph it came with that top was 1 and bottom 2. Also, that's what the tut said. It just was worded weird with run-on's. Confused the crap out of me!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #58
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yet another reasion I'm doing most of my chicks right now!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #59
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Crap, still wrong. Are both of the thermostat wires supposed to be connected to the brass screw? Can't tell in the pic.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #60
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah, J wired mine for me so I couldn't say.