Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #61
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Got it! Not gotta get that temp down, errr. That involves removeing the thermostat to get to the controll. Gah! PITBooty, lol. It's at 109 atm. Checking it with the vent holes all open in the am. I'll leave them open tonight. Gonna hit the sack.

Oh my broody decided she wanted the nest box all the gals had layed in today. I put her 4 back under her. Forgot to count though. Oh well, what's a cpl more. Now I just worry about diff hatch dates and her abandoning them. I'll have to keep an eye out and toss them in the bator if I have too.

Now to figure out how the heck I'm gonna do her fett tomorrow. It will surely coat the eggs. Guess I'll try spraying or rubbing hers? Dang.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #62
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haha!!! Check this out, Gina from keeping chickens put my letter to her in the newsletter. Feels kinda odd.

http://www.keepingchickensnewsletter...ens_page10.htm
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #63
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, got the bator calibrated and loaded with some test babes. Hope we get a good rate. I'm not super happy with the room for eggs in it. I found the cooler/creat at a shipping store. Best I could do. I'll make a bigger one next time. It holds exactly at 100. The humidity will take a smidge more work, but I think it's gonna be fine.

I do have a big problem, by broody. I'm moving her to the chick coop. Have to so she can get to food. She can't free range and she won't eat out of the bowl I give her. She did leave the nest the other day when I hand fed. I have the light ready to install, now it's sleeting pretty heavily. I just can't get out there to move her. I caught her in another full nest again. She keeps switching when the others lay in one box. I couldn't tell which eggs were new so I let her have them all. Now there is 10. I hope they are fine with getting cool. I think thta just slows growth. The problem is diff hatch dates. I have to get her out of there. She's getting stingy with the eggs. This chick is wacky, haha! I think I'm just gonna head out and do one small part at a time. Go flip the coop, in, attatch light, in, tarp, in, food/waterer, in, Set up nest and move her. I have to do her legs first though. Ahhh.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #64
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah wait up for me. I can't take it anymore, getting my bator warmed up and I have 5 little lovely eggs from Lacy and Carmen set aside. If I hatch them now and keep 1 or two my genetics for sending hatching eggs should be even stronger because of the split lineage.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #65
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lol. Can't believe your doin it! This this is way better than my other. It has held the 100 deg and 35 hunidity all day. I put them in this morning just before I posted I think it was, so it was.... somewhere between 11 am and 1 pm my time. I'm 2 hrs later then you. I that that thing way wired wrong, lol. I'll upload some pics.

Got the broody taken care of. She refuses to set though. Just pawing at the fence. That's one mad moma. I hate to see the eggs wasted. It was 11, not 10.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #66
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have gotten 4 eggs so far, from one chicken. I think I might adore her for being so consistent. :0

Liz- Peer pressure get to you? hehehe
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #67
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Big congrats Fodie!!!

I tossed in some other pics. The bottom egg in my hand actually looks lavender irl. From an australorp. Check out my mess. Ray swore it wouldn't come out of the carpet, lol.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #68
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, the setup:
Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #69
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I love that lavender egg, gorgeous!!

Yep, peer pressure. That, and I want to be focused on hatching tiny little sprouts for my garden next spring, not chickies. I may do some to sell still, but I want to wait until then to decide. I'm got a hatching itch. LOL

Your bator is sooooo cute sarah! I am loving mine, if mine performs as well in practice as it did on it's test run we should both have awesome hatches. I had a lot of fun making the bator with J too. FX for girly hatches. I think I'm going to wind up being one day behind you due to the time difference, and I think because I won't be setting mine until late this evening at the earliest, tomorrow would count as day 1. Yippeee! And I'm gonna be freaked out as heck once I actually get them in there. LOL

Fodie that is awesome!! wish my Wyandottes would take a hint. yeesh. Over 23w now and nada.

OH and sarah a question, we're supposed to have rain in a few days. If you know rain is coming, do you open another plug to keep the humidity stable or let it ride?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #70
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah I don't see your blue eggs in there? Weren't you going to hatch those or are they already in your other bator? Good lordy girl, how many babies is this now? LOL