Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #71
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's a 4 egg day. I have decided that I just don't have it in me to hat h eggs right now.

Advertisement

Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #72
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

Becky. How's everyone doing? Want me to send you some blinders?

Ok calibrating is going fast, closing the gap at 99/97 and 43% humidity. Seems like my bator likes 43% because that's where it settled before with 2 plugs out.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #73
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I keep my plugs out full time. I fought it before trying to keep it high and I'm going with lower #'s now. I have the other eggs in the crappy, lol, bator. I like it much better with the fan. SOOOO much more stable. I have the plugs out on both. All of them. I'm getting stable everything and better ventilation. Before I made the change, the water was getting ripe. I may end up selling a lot of the excess hens. The roos will be meat for sure, than we have the 2 I know for sure are keepers. Have to see who hatches before I know how many I'm keeping for sure. Oh, also keeping the blue. Well, I have to see if the other 2 are roos or not. Spring will tell. I told Ray we HAVE to get the big freezer before spring. I have no room for anything. I hope I don't keep getting late hatches now that I changed my humidity. Also, the fans.

So I went to check on the broody and she abandoned the eggs. Do you think they are ok to eat? She only sat for the cpl days and I candled them and saw absolutely nada. I went through all that crap in the sleet for nothing!

Oh Liz, I wondered if you'd give in to the bator bug, haha. Plus, the HUGE bonus is no wait when spring arrives. They will be old enough to tell who's what and ready to lay.

Becky! You poor Moma. You have so much goin on with that flock. How are the girls? Still picking? You should consider those blinders. I hear such awsome things about them.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #74
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh forgot.... I have the bator in the bathroom and believe it or not, I don't even worry about the shower. I do use the vent fan to prevent too much humidity with the shower on. No worries with the fan.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #75
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Bummer about the broody, no I wouldn't eat the eggs. Fertile or not, even one day at those temps and they're surely spoiled. Good luck with the hatch! I may keep one or two from this batch depending on how many girls we get. FX!

*gulp* Here goes nothing, three of carmen's (top ) and 2 of laceys! Temp and humidity are down a little because I just opened it.

Day 0

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 11-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #76
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Looks awsome! You sure you don't wanna wait to see if you get any more ee eggs in the am to add to the batch? With failure rate, just thinking you may only end up with a cpl hatching out of 5 worst case? You also have to consider failed hatches and unfertile ones. Just a thought? That's what ended in me adding another cpl batches to the bator with diff hatch dates. It really stinks. Looseing and then dealing with diff hatch date needs. It looks awsome! I don't see the dark green, did ya eat that one?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #77
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Becky. How's everyone doing? Want me to send you some blinders?

Ok calibrating is going fast, closing the gap at 99/97 and 43% humidity. Seems like my bator likes 43% because that's where it settled before with 2 plugs out.
Going okay, as long as I get out there before 7am so thy can all have their own space.

I just need the silly link again.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #78
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I have more I could add, but I really don't want more than a few. I figure 50% hatch rate, one and a buddy. If I only get one, then I'll have to think fast. LOL Just pray I get at least 2 ok? LOL

Here ya go becky. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pinless-pe...item1c25e031ce
Old 11-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #79
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

And those things just sit on their heads.....how do they stay on?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #80
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I have more I could add, but I really don't want more than a few. I figure 50% hatch rate, one and a buddy. If I only get one, then I'll have to think fast. LOL Just pray I get at least 2 ok? LOL

Here ya go becky. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pinless-pe...item1c25e031ce
nope not even gonna waste my good eggs in order to add more, after all I would either end up with all roosters again, or the big girls would just kill them.....

I don't think that a cross between a RIR and a bantham rooster would be too good either....or the pullet (whatever she is)

Last edited by Bumstoppers; 11-07-2012 at 09:34 PM.