Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #31
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Best inventions EVER for babies/children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
Just so you all know, the nosefrida is not a "new" thing....similar items have been used for years for suctioning trachs before suction machines were portable. I promise, it's not gross...the snot does not go in your mouth. You do what you have to for your kid anyway. I'm sure if your child hasn't had a particularly bad illness, or otherwise has medical problems that affects their ability to handle their secretions, you wouldn't see a reason to use them, but talking about how "gross" it is, is kinda of offensive to those of us whose children basically drown in snot every day of their lives.

My mom once threw my nephew on the kitchen table, pulled a pen apart, used it to suck the snot out of his nose and mouth because he was turning blue. And yes the snot went in her mouth. That's a bada$$ grandma for you. A little tube and canister that keeps your mouth clean is no big deal. I do hope you don't look at people like me and how I have to care for my DD and think we are "gross".
I am so sorry.

I actually don't think in those types of situations you described, getting snot in your mouth is a huge deal.

If my kid was CHOKING, I would not care about snot getting in my mouth and would suck it out in a heartbeat. I can't think there's any mom that wouldn't! (Though, believe it or not, this EXACT convo came up among some friends of mine, and every single one said they would let their kid choke rather than get snot in their mouths!)

I think most ppl don't know what it's like to be in your shoes. I know I don't. My kids rarely get ill, and when they do get a snotty nose, it's just a matter of a steamy shower or a humidifier or some decongestant, and they are fine. I truly don't think any moms calling that thing gross are trying to offend anyone, and are just applying it to themselves.

I'm so sorry if I offended you.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #32
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Just so you all know, the nosefrida is not a "new" thing....similar items have been used for years for suctioning trachs before suction machines were portable. I promise, it's not gross...the snot does not go in your mouth. You do what you have to for your kid anyway. I'm sure if your child hasn't had a particularly bad illness, or otherwise has medical problems that affects their ability to handle their secretions, you wouldn't see a reason to use them, but talking about how "gross" it is, is kinda of offensive to those of us whose children basically drown in snot every day of their lives.

My mom once threw my nephew on the kitchen table, pulled a pen apart, used it to suck the snot out of his nose and mouth because he was turning blue. And yes the snot went in her mouth. That's a bada$$ grandma for you. A little tube and canister that keeps your mouth clean is no big deal. I do hope you don't look at people like me and how I have to care for my DD and think we are "gross".
I'm sorry. And I totally don't think you're gross. You do what you have to do for your kids. If that includes getting thrown up on, pooped on, snotted on, whatever, you do it. I really didn't mean to be offensive.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #33
katiekat1032
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJ07 View Post
Thanks for posting the Kid Cozies! I had never heard of them, but after seeing your post I immediately went and ordered one for ds. Genius!
Glad you found the link helpful!
katiekat1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #34
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

I just bought a Nose Frida this last time DD was sick and I love it! I mean, as much as you can love a snot sucker.

It works so much better than the bulbs, and it doesn't actually go inside their nostril, so no risk of irritation or scratching. It looks weird, but I promise--no boogers get in your mouth!

DD hates it though. She hated the bulb too. Either way I have to lay her down with her head between my legs to get the boogies out.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
katiekat1032
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Sorry your feelings were hurt Shauna. I don't think anyone meant any disrespect in what they said. I do things on a daily basis for my kids that I still find disgusting, but I do them anyway. I've been cloth diapering for 3 years now and still get grossed out a bit when I'm hunched over the toilet rinsing poop. And yes, I pick the goobers out of my babies nose with my finger, too, to help him breathe better. Mommies will do whatever they can for their little ones and no one thinks less of them for it.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #36
katiekat1032
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyous View Post
I just bought a Nose Frida this last time DD was sick and I love it! I mean, as much as you can love a snot sucker.

It works so much better than the bulbs, and it doesn't actually go inside their nostril, so no risk of irritation or scratching. It looks weird, but I promise--no boogers get in your mouth!

DD hates it though. She hated the bulb too. Either way I have to lay her down with her head between my legs to get the boogies out.
We don't have a nose frida, but both my DSs hated the bulb. Although I will say, DS2 loves it as a chew toy! (Don't worry, we cleaned it first!)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #37
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyeates View Post
I cant help but wonder if you have ever sucked too hard and ended up with a mouth full of boogers
Yes. Yes I have. The Nosefrida has a little sponge like filter. I am not sure what happened, but the boogers managed to go right through the filter. Totally gross and I have not been able to use it effectively since .

ETA: I am sure that the booger incident was user error on my part. It has not happened before or since.

Last edited by thtr4me; 11-02-2012 at 11:13 AM.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #38
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I went with the Comfy Nose because you do not need the filters. I do not know how I lived through all of our other littles without that thing. It is AWESOME and puts the blue "boogie pump" from the hossy to shame.