Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
loveskilts
Registered Users

My Mood:
how to measure for making interlock longies?

hi... i was wondering... i wanted to try the *make your own longies* pattern here:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=508956

my question is this: how do you measure a thigh?

- is it the length of the thigh, hip to knee? or crotch to knee?

- or is it the thickness of the thigh around - - like at the chubbiest point of the thigh up near the hip?

- or do you measure around the bikini line of the thigh from crotch to hip.

how do you measure a thigh? the waist, hips, inseam & rise i understand. but what am i measuring regarding the thighs??

?? ??

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
mommy2gr8kids78
Fairies and Fireflies~ Add Magic

My Mood:
Re: how to measure for making interlock longies?

When measuring your baby’s thighs, measure around the fullest part of baby’s upper thighs and be sure to measure against baby’s bare skin. Even just 1/4 of an inch difference can make a difference between baby’s poop staying in the diaper or on your hip! This is NOT the area where the leg meets the lower torso - that will always be smaller … it is a bit further down the thigh - where it begins to round out. Again, measure around the fullest part.

Found this on a WAHM thread.

Catholic, Homeschooling, CD'ing, Open to life mama of 4 gifts from God.

mommy2gr8kids78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
mommy2gr8kids78

My Mood:

And if you want everything. Save it somewhere!

Measuring:
For shorties and longies, use rise, waist, and inseam (see below) measurements.

How to measure the waist, thigh , rise and inseam on a baby.
First, start with measuring at the waist. Obviously, a baby is not going to have an hourglass figure that makes it easy to select and measure the waistline. Whether baby is plump with rolls or long and lean, you’ll always measure in the same place - all the way around, level with the belly button. If you are measuring for a cloth diaper cover, you will need to measure baby over the style of cloth diapers he or she will wear under the diaper cover.

Next, measure your baby’s thighs. When measuring your baby’s thighs, measure around the fullest part of baby’s upper thighs and be sure to measure against baby’s bare skin. Even just 1/4 of an inch difference can make a difference between baby’s poop staying in the diaper or on your hip! This is NOT the area where the leg meets the lower torso - that will always be smaller … it is a bit further down the thigh - where it begins to round out. Again, measure around the fullest part.

The rise, sometimes called the "depth" is the length from your baby’s belly button (at the waist), between their legs, and back up to the same place (at the waist) on their backside. If you are measuring for cloth diaper covers, you need to measure baby over the style of diaper you will be using with that particular cover.

For the inseam (for shorties and longies), meausure with diaper on from baby's crotch to the floor, or to the bottom of baby's foot. For shorties, measure to where on the leg you want them to end.

When you are measuring for trainers, measure baby without a diaper for the correct fit.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
loveskilts
Registered Users

My Mood:

THANK YOU MAMA!!!

man i love DS. what's not to love about this place!!??? the nicest mamas ever are here
Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
mommy2gr8kids78

My Mood:

Glad I could help mama! Have fun!

Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2gr8kids78 View Post
And if you want everything. Save it somewhere!

Measuring:
For shorties and longies, use rise, waist, and inseam (see below) measurements.

How to measure the waist, thigh , rise and inseam on a baby.
First, start with measuring at the waist. Obviously, a baby is not going to have an hourglass figure that makes it easy to select and measure the waistline. Whether baby is plump with rolls or long and lean, you’ll always measure in the same place - all the way around, level with the belly button. If you are measuring for a cloth diaper cover, you will need to measure baby over the style of cloth diapers he or she will wear under the diaper cover.

Next, measure your baby’s thighs. When measuring your baby’s thighs, measure around the fullest part of baby’s upper thighs and be sure to measure against baby’s bare skin. Even just 1/4 of an inch difference can make a difference between baby’s poop staying in the diaper or on your hip! This is NOT the area where the leg meets the lower torso - that will always be smaller … it is a bit further down the thigh - where it begins to round out. Again, measure around the fullest part.

The rise, sometimes called the "depth" is the length from your baby’s belly button (at the waist), between their legs, and back up to the same place (at the waist) on their backside. If you are measuring for cloth diaper covers, you need to measure baby over the style of diaper you will be using with that particular cover.

For the inseam (for shorties and longies), meausure with diaper on from baby's crotch to the floor, or to the bottom of baby's foot. For shorties, measure to where on the leg you want them to end.

When you are measuring for trainers, measure baby without a diaper for the correct fit.
I know this is a wicked old thread but this is great info. Thank you!

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote