Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Gumbelina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Easy-washing Night Diaper/SBish OBF Alternative

I've been using SBish OBF's as nighttime diapers on my now 7m/o since she was around 6 weeks, and while at first they seemed like something of a miracle, as she's gotten older we have been having stink issues that I haven't been able to remedy with wash routine changes. We use pad folded flats with a small MF towel as an insert during the day (DD is a super soaker) because we have very hard water, no water softener, and a HE washer and that's what gets clean the easiest for us.

I know that I could rinse the night dipes but DH wouldn't do it and he usually gets her ready on weekdays. What I'm looking for is an option that is as absorbent as SBish OBF's but washes clean more easily. MF inserts are out b/c they stank for us even with NB pee so it would need to be made of natural fibers, and I'd prefer something simple b/c DH already complains about the flat/MF combo. Help!

Advertisement

Gumbelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had the same problem w/fitteds. Nothing seems to really get them clean! We have been having equally good luck with Kawaii Goodnight HW pockets stuffed with a Flip organic insert and a large Thirsties hemp insert.

I would still recommend rinsing out overnight diapers, though. There is just so much concentrated pee in them that I have found that it is necessary for anything I have used overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Easy-washing Night Diaper/SBish OBF Alternative

Take the inserts out of your sbish and use the pad folded flat in it instead. Sounds strange, but the shells don't seem to collect as much as the snap in soakers. I use prefolds in ours for nightime and they wash up so much better.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pocket fitteds!!! You can stuff with a padfolded flat ahead of time and it will be easier on your DH. I had good luck with Happy Hempy (I did the non stay dry). Then look into bamboo or hemp flats instead of cotton, they will hold a lot more. Hope that helps!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Gumbelina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much ladies! I am trying the SBish fitted with a padfolded flat instead of the snap-in insert for the next few nights to see if that improves the stinkies enough to be tolerable. If that doesn't do it, I have a few pocket dipes and random inserts and doublers that I can experiment with. Hopefully I can figure this out before DD outgrows her mediums!

Can anyone tell me if the pocket fitteds seem to wash up easier than regular fitteds since the layers of fabric can separate? I'm tempted to try the Happy Hempy OS's but I'm not sure how much better they'd wash compared to the SBish.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
mypeanut09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was also going to suggest pocket fitteds. I've also had good luck with a MEOS and a Thirsties hemp insert. I've never used Sbish so I have no idea how the absorbency compares but my DD was leaking through Flip Organics in pockets and doesn't leak with this.

I love Kissed by the Moon & I'd love it if you shopped my affiliate link! Feel free to PM me with any questions!

mypeanut09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
mypeanut09
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

A Quick Snap Flat Wrap type fitted would probably work well too if you add an extra insert to it. They are the wrap itself is usually only two layers - inner absorbent and outer print. I'm going to make one for my daughter this weekend to test out. If you want to know how it works out, feel free to send me a PM (so I remember to message you back, lol)

I love Kissed by the Moon & I'd love it if you shopped my affiliate link! Feel free to PM me with any questions!

mypeanut09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
lalaith
Registered Users
seller

Bamboo flats. LOVE.
and the joy my munchkin brings!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Gumbelina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay shen7 and lalaith, you are my enablers for trying out some new flats I've been following the thread about the new Blueberry flats and also searching around for info about ODC Bamboo Terry Squares and the new Geffen Baby Hemp Jersey Flats. What size ODC would be good for padfolding? DD is 7mos and about 18lbs but I'm hoping to have some absorbency to spare. Are the infant size going to have enough absorbency as she grows, and is it safe to assume that the toddler size are too large to padfold without an enormous 2x4 butt?

OsoCozy flats padfolded were only holding for about an hour as of a month ago, I went the cheap route and got some small MF towels and am folding those in as inserts, but the whole thing is fairly bulky. I'd love to find a different flat that has as much or more absorbency as the flat/MF combo without the bulk. I would also love to be able to just use a flat (or a flat/insert combo) at night and skip the fitteds entirely!

I'd love any input, and especially any comparisons between any of these "fancier" flats or between any of them and cotton flats.