Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

Ds is 6 months. I have had supply trouble since about 4 1/2 months. Started supplementing at 5 months when he hadn't gained weight in a month. Did well for a bit, ds was okay going back and forth and i still had enough milk to keep him happy while nursing.
Now he is frustrated. I have less than ever. I have tried almost everything. The only thing left is domperidone. I am extremely hesitant to use it because of fears of triggering a depressive episode and at this point I really doubt that ds will hold out nursing long enough for it to get to me if I ordered it.
It absolutely breaks my heart to see him so frustrated. He is asking to nurse constantly right now ( he is getting more than enough formula to make up the difference it's more than just hungry) and he cries and pulls off because he doesn't want to wait for let down and even if he gets that far he wants to nurse for much longer than the milk lasts. He ends up screaming in frustration and we have both spent the last 24 hours doing a lot of crying.
I don't know what is the right thing to do. I don't know if it's unfair to prolong this. I keep offering when he cues to nurse because i don't want you dry up completely. I wanted to get to a year and I no longer believe its possible. I'm having a very hard time knowing if it's time to call it quits, have a few miserable days while he adjusts and hope he moves on to other things.
I am so devastated by this. Hes not ready and neither am I but my body is defective and I can't feed my baby enough.
Should I just wean him? I just want him to be happy

Advertisement

Last edited by Miss squish; 11-11-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Miss squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Not sure what else to do

Do you switch sides? With this lo I have to switch sides frequently or I don't have enough milk for him. Make sure you breastfeed before supplementing as that can contribute to supply issues. Make sure you are relaxed and drinking enough. Also dieting and trying to lose weight can affect milk supply. I don't know if you were but since it is common for new mamas to want to lose that baby weight I thought to mention it. Another thing that can affect supply I have been told are cold meds. I'm not sure but think it is the antihistamines that cause you to dry out so I would think allergy meds would also be a problem.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

You might want to check but I wonder if bc pills also affect milk supply Since they affect your hormones it makes sense to me. Again I don't know if you use them but it makes sense to me.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

I should have written what I have tried. But that would take forever. I have worked with private LC with LLL volunteers with my own doctor and read everything printed and online that is available. When i said ive tried everything except domperidone its true. I drink 60-90 oz of water a day and have a healthy diet. we had a rough start and I am certain those early issues and bad advice are the set up for current problems.
My questions really are about when to give up. My SO is no help. I feel so alone making this choice and I don't know what is best for ds. Maybe I guess this should have gone in weaning support
Old 11-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

In that case I would say if it is causing both of you a great deal of distress I would let him taper of slowly. Even though your milk supply isn't the best you do still have milk so don't want to become ingorged and have other issues associated with that. You made it 6 months. That is a great accomplishment regardless. You have done a lot for your baby. That is something to be proud of. Your body carried your son for 9 months and then nourished him for another 6 months. It isn't defective. It has done a wonderful job and should be appreciated. I say go out with a friend and pamper your body in appreciation for all the hard work it has done over the last 15 months.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Something I wish we had done with our older kids was to have someone snap a pic of them nursing for their baby books. If you can get one when both of you are relaxed that might be something you would like as a keepsake.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

That is a really lovely idea. I have some from the hospital but no recent ones. I have a friend who is a photographer I will ask her for this.
I just wish there was something I could do I guess it's important to learn how to accept difficult things in order to teach my kiddo but damn does this suck.
I didn't think about engorgement, I guess it's not smart to just stop cold turkey.