Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
linzerin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Looking for advice/similar stories

I agree with all of the previous posts about giving yourself time to heal and process the emotions from your birth. I think we all picture the ideal birth for our LOs and there is definitely a mourning process that needs to occur when it doesn't happen like we had imagined.

I am a labor and delivery nurse and also a FTM, due in February. What I can tell you from my experience is that a shoulder dystocia does not automatically mean that you will need a C/S for your next baby, however it is something to consider. Like some of the other mamas said, severe, permanent damage can occur from a severe shoulder dystocia.

On the same token, if we have a mama come in to have her baby and we know she has a history of a shoulder dystocia, the nursing staff and providers are on notice that it might happen again. With that in mind, if you are showing signs of possibly having another shoulder dystocia (slow progress, baby's head remains high) they may want to 'intervene" sooner.

My best advice is to celebrate your healthy baby, go through the grieving process and keep an open mind for any future LOs. Don't back yourself into a corner, you do have options. Good luck!

Advertisement

linzerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not a doctor/midwife or ANY medical professional, but did he have a short cord?
That's the first thought that comes to mind. Maybe it wasn't his shoulders, but this cord was too short for him to continue coming out without assistance?

By the cord detaching upon delivery (forced) it makes me think it was the cord stopping him! (either short, or wrapped around his body in a way making it shorter)
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had 4 babies. My first had scary complications. My other three came out with no complications and no problems.

I think that you should not be trying to make decisions about this right now. Like someone else said... let yourself heal emotionally from this, and cross the bridge about what to do next time when you get there.

However, every woman is different, every pregnancy is different, every baby is different. Just because you had a problem this time, doesn't necessarily mean you'll have a problem with your next baby. So just take a deep breath and relax. And talk to your midwife about it when you get pregnant again. And don't hesitate to get a second opinion on this.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote