Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
Peeing everywhere...

I was going to put this in potty training, but ds has been trained for over a year. we actually did EC with him starting at 3 months. Anyway he's always been the kind of child to have peepee accidents, but lately I've caught him a couple times doing it on purpose. Once I saw him trying to pee in dd's toy teacup. Another time I saw him peeing on a door frame. I've found wet spots several times in his room...mostly behind his bedroom door or sometimes just randomly in the middle of his room. He's 3yrs 2mo old. I'm at a loss. His room smells. I'm going to have to rent a carpet cleaner just for his room. help!!

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Peeing everywhere...

my DD did this. It was really frustrating. It lasted a long time. Once she peed on a pillow.

I have seriously considered getting therapy for myself b/c dealing with it made me want to go absolutely insane some days.

She got over it, but I had to get really tough with her. I typed it all out in another potty training thread a while back. It was really not fun at all.

Have you tried talking to your DS about how important it is to only go pee in the toilet? Maybe explain that our pee pee has germs in it and that is why we flush it down the toilet. Peeing on things makes them dirty and it's not healthy to be somewhere where we've peed.... etc, etc, etc. I tried all that first with my DD. It didn't work though. She was just stubborn and super duper defiant. Hopefully your DS is not that way, though and this is just something that will pass quickly!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yuck. If you caught him doing it I would definatly make him clean it. If he kept doing it I would probably either put him on a bathroom schedule or make him stay with me so I know he's not peeing on things. Hopefully after a few days of one of those he would think that is a bum deal and stop peeing on everything? I don't really know, but good luck to you!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe go back to rewarding him for going in the potty for a few days? Every time you pee in the potty, you get some M and Ms or Skittles or something he really wants? Not forever, but for a few days to break this habit? Reward the positive behavior?

For DS, he gets a Hot Wheels if he poops in the potty. It worked really quickly for him!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
MyM&W
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
my DD did this. It was really frustrating. It lasted a long time. Once she peed on a pillow.

I have seriously considered getting therapy for myself b/c dealing with it made me want to go absolutely insane some days.

She got over it, but I had to get really tough with her. I typed it all out in another potty training thread a while back. It was really not fun at all.

Have you tried talking to your DS about how important it is to only go pee in the toilet? Maybe explain that our pee pee has germs in it and that is why we flush it down the toilet. Peeing on things makes them dirty and it's not healthy to be somewhere where we've peed.... etc, etc, etc. I tried all that first with my DD. It didn't work though. She was just stubborn and super duper defiant. Hopefully your DS is not that way, though and this is just something that will pass quickly!
I have talked to him. I will again though. He never really was in a diaper since we ec'ed him...sometimes we put him in a pull up if we know we are going somewhere that might not have a bathroom close by..but he normally doesn't pee in them haha. But I will def try the talk again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
Yuck. If you caught him doing it I would definatly make him clean it. If he kept doing it I would probably either put him on a bathroom schedule or make him stay with me so I know he's not peeing on things. Hopefully after a few days of one of those he would think that is a bum deal and stop peeing on everything? I don't really know, but good luck to you!
To be honest I flipped out. I've found myself yelling at him about it and I need to stop. I hate yelling! I will try your suggestions though.

Thanks mamas
Old 10-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM&W View Post
I have talked to him. I will again though. He never really was in a diaper since we ec'ed him...sometimes we put him in a pull up if we know we are going somewhere that might not have a bathroom close by..but he normally doesn't pee in them haha. But I will def try the talk again

That makes it hard since he was never in diapers... not like you can just say "if you keep peeing your pants, you will have to wear a diaper." KWIM?

Hm.

I'd seriously consider loss of privileges or some other discipline if he does it and KNOWS not to.

could you do cheerios in the toilet for him to pee on? Maybe that will take away the excitement of peeing on random stuff for long enough that it will pass.

I dunno, what do you think is at the root of the problem? Curiosity? Some kids just take their curiosity too far b/c they get carried away. But typically once they understand the seriousness of whatever they are doing and that it is not acceptable even though it might be fun/interesting/etc they at least TRY to stop doing it. Or is it just out and out defiance I ask b/c I think those two things can be handled very differently.

If you can figure out the drive to do it, you can try to work on that.

It took us a solid 2.5 yrs to potty train my DD. She kept regressing and then eventually just plain, flat out refused to use the toilet. So I am no stranger to how frustrating potty issues can be.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dunno? A power struggle perhaps? Is he mad or frustrated about something? If he knows he shouldn't pee on the floor and you think he's doing it on purpose to get a rise out you, then you can't yell at him. You need to be calm and matter of fact. "Pee does not go on the floor, it goes in the potty. Here's a towel, now clean it up."

My niece had a power struggle with my sister and she acted out by peeing on purpose. The more disappointment my sis showed, the more accidents my niece had. It was a difficult time for everyone.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Mommy2Be08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ds1 just did this around 3.5 yrs old. I thought I was going to lose my mind. He was doing it down stairs in the family room and in his bedroom. Basically I became the bathroom police. He wasn't allowed out of my sight. He couldn't go down stairs and play anymore and I asked him constantly if he had to pee. Oh this is after lots of yelling and crying on my part. He hasn't done it in a few months now (he turned 4 almost a month ago) I don't know what I would have done if he kept it up. Oh and I didn't want to put him in diapers since I thought Wed be going backwards for sure. He started using the potty at 18 months (we did some ecing ) and so it was driving me crazy that at after 2 years he was doing this.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using DS Forum
Jocelyne mommy 4 beautiful boys! Baby#5 Due August 2014 I'm Shaving my head to conquer childhood cancer! http://www.stbaldricks.org/participa...ge/675375/2014
Mommy2Be08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Chasing Zen
Registered Users
Formerly: ccsmom11
seller

My Mood:

My son will still pee in random places on occasion (our indoor Ficus tree, the dog's water dish)...and he's soon to be 5. It happens on days when he gets in trouble a lot...it's his way of getting me back, sigh. He's been potty trained since age 2, and we've tried bribes, having him clean it up, being the potty police etc. I just try to pick my battles carefully and monitor him like a hawk on days when he's really out of sorts. Good Luck and Hugs to you Mama
Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
MyM&W
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Definitely a lot to ponder. I think he's doing it because he is thinking since its ok to pee outside that he can inside too? Yes...he does pee outside. We do not feel like there is anything wrong with that.
I'm going to start with the rewards system. See how that goes and go from there. If I exhaust all the opinions shared on here ill have to ask the Pediatrics for advice. thanks again everyone!