Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Play food - plastic, wood, other?

What kind of play food do your kids like to play with? We are getting DS a kitchen for Christmas, and I can't decide on the food. We could go all wood - we already have plan toys bread and Melissa and Doug cutting foods. He doesn't really play with them. But I guess he doesn't really play with anything - he plays for all of a minute with any one thing and it drives me crazy. (But that is a whole different thread on whether he is abnormal for not really playing independently with toys much?) Though he (and other kids as well) seem to like the plastic stuff that the library has. So I'm not sure if I should be anti-plastic about this - I just really want him to actually play with the toys he has for a change!

Advertisement

BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Play food - plastic, wood, other?

felt food might be a good option.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids have had plastic, felt, and wood. They play with all of it and don't seem to have a preference but wood holds up the best. Good quality plastic will last a long time too. Can't remember the brand but Costco sells some around this time of year that are good quality as opposed to the flimsy stuff they sell at TRU

[COLOR="Red"]ISO: Girly Alva or Sunbaby OS for a mama on a budget.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
We got our daughter wool knit food from Palumba.com and my daughter loves it. It feels good in the hand and you can really pack the veggies in a pot. It's also beautiful, quite frankly. We got a variety, including a breakfast with egg, toast, strawberry and bacon. It's so awesome. We all love the egg.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have plastic, wood and felt food.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
addicteddad
Registered Users

Currently have wood stuff from M&D. We had a plastic set from Learning Resources, but immediately a glued cup of juice fell apart (like within 5 minutes). We'll probably use a mix, especially if the fabric ones are easily washable.
Can't wait to get DS his Ikea Duktig kitchen for his B-day, so we can have the hearth of our fireplace back.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

I prefer wood food as it holds up the best, but it is heavy and can really hurt others if thrown... so if that is an issue I would do felt or knitted. Plastic I don't like because my kids mouth things when pretending to eat (even though I've told them not to a million times) and also because I try not to buy cheap "disposable" toys.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

We invested in some wool play food from Fair Trade Family (I'm pretty sure that's the name....it's been like 4 years) and it still looks new. It has held up better than anything else!

ETA: found it: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62845537...otton-playfood

Last edited by harmoni247; 11-02-2012 at 01:24 PM.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My DD has the Plan Toys wooden cut-able food and some cheap plastic food I got from Goodwill and she goes for the plastic every.time. Ugh. She does like the Green Toys plates and spoons though!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter is getting Learning Resources plastic food. I have read very good reviews on it, even though it is pricey for plastic. I suppose if her milk or juice falls out of the glass like the pp mentioned, I'll either glue it back or let it be something she can 'fill'.

I originally had decided on wooden food, but looking at what was available, I decided on plastic. She has a whole set of veggies and fruits that have the peels come off (velcro) and she loves to play with them. They are plastic, so I bought plastic to match.

On another note, you can actually find quite a few threads about those of us with kids who don't play with toys. I am taking a gamble with this kitchen I bought for Christmas because I figure if she doesn't play with it, the next child might. Or kids we have over for playgroups might. But, in general, while having a child who doesn't really play with toys can be frustrating at times, there are a LOT of us on here