Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #21
mom2jirms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Play food - plastic, wood, other?

I prefer felt food Seriously though it lasts pretty long. I love play kitchens that is a fun time

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
We got our daughter wool knit food from Palumba.com and my daughter loves it. It feels good in the hand and you can really pack the veggies in a pot. It's also beautiful, quite frankly. We got a variety, including a breakfast with egg, toast, strawberry and bacon. It's so awesome. We all love the egg.
That food is adorable! I love the knit stuffed turkey. But, really, I have to be real about the way my son plays - I do not want anything that isn't wipeable or machine washable. I don't think we've taught him appropriately about really respecting his stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaga View Post
My DD has the Plan Toys wooden cut-able food and some cheap plastic food I got from Goodwill and she goes for the plastic every.time. Ugh. She does like the Green Toys plates and spoons though!!
This is my what I am thinking exactly. I'm thinking he might like plastic better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
My daughter is getting Learning Resources plastic food.

On another note, you can actually find quite a few threads about those of us with kids who don't play with toys. I am taking a gamble with this kitchen I bought for Christmas because I figure if she doesn't play with it, the next child might. Or kids we have over for playgroups might. But, in general, while having a child who doesn't really play with toys can be frustrating at times, there are a LOT of us on here
Learning Resources is what I was looking at. That is what they have at the library, and it seems pretty durable and realistic. Not playing with toys is driving me crazy and I do feel like the odd one out. I was just asking a friend yesterday who has a daughter a few months younger what her kid played with. She said she plays with everything, and often will be in her room for a while, playing by herself with her baby dolls and stuff. (So now I am thinking DS needs a doll or two to take care of - maybe that will hold his attention!) I often wonder if I've not taught him how to to play with toys, or been creative enough about playing with him. Just nothing seems to hold his attention, even when we're playing together. Like I can get him to put some veggies in a pot and stir, that lasts for all of a minute, and then he's off to something else. There is very little "depth" of play, and that concerns me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga1622 View Post
DS's favorite right now is Melissa & Doug felt food sandwich set. He loves to build us sandwiches and serve them to us on the frisbees he found in the dog's toy basket.

I made very cute bowtie pasta out of felt for DS and he plays with that a lot as well.
That sandwich set does look fun. I guess I don't need to get him all the same kind of food. I am not at all crafty, but maybe I could make some felt food, if all it requires is cutting.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

We have some knit food our DD was gifted when she was very young, some wood food we got her as she got a little older, the melissa and doug felt pizza set which is probably her favorite kitchen item to play with, and some plastic things as well. She loves playing with her kitchen, but she was very interested in the food before we got her the kitchen part and always trying to help when we cooked so we knew she would. What sorts of toys does he have currently? Does anything hold his attention? If you have any children's museums or play centers near you maybe you could take him and see if anything they have holds his interest. Also many learning toy stores keep toys out for kids to play with while parents shop. You could try taking him and seeing if he's interested in something like magnet toys. I highly doubt his differences in play from your friends DD are a reflection on you as a parent. Children all play differently and many toddlers, boys especially, tend to be very high energy. My DD plays quietly when she first wakes up, then needs some high energy time to run around, then she can play quietly for awhile again. If she doesn't get out and have a chance to run around it's much harder for me to get things done because she needs much more direction and has a harder time focusing. My sisters DS has always had a hard time focusing on playing with anything at all for an extended period of time until he got old enough for legos and now he loves those so much he'll sit and play with them for a while.

Last edited by crnchy_mama_lala; 11-12-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling
crnchy_mama_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #24
Belle1002
Registered Users

My Mood:
We have a little of everything and I can't say the kids have a preference. I was all about getting wood food so it would last, but I've changed my mind about that since I've gotten a fat lip from a flying yogurt!

Loving life with our very energetic 2 year old b/g twins!
Belle1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #25
Erinne
Registered Users

We have the fabric ikea food and dd likes it well enough, but doesn't love it. My recommendation would actually be homemade playdough. My dd makes everything out of playdough and since it's homemade and just food ingredients, I don't worry about her eating it or anything.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #26
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I personally prefer plastic because it looks the closest to real food. I also remember playing with plastic food in my own childhood, so I'm probably biased. We have some learning resources playfood, and it's mixed with various things we've picked up at garage sales. I love that some of it velcros together so you can cut it, and some fruits/veggies have velcro peels. I probably get more out of it than the 1 year old so far
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #27
ColbyCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: naperica
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used plastic play food that came with out kitchen that I got off craigslist. I love the idea and the look and how you can manipulate the felt food. But really my kids use our actual kitchen measuring spoons, and random things that aren't really food. They might make me matchbox and plastic bug soup or bouncy ball chili. Kids can get creative when toys are limited.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD has M&D wood food. My problem is it makes a pretty harmful projectile, and the paint seems to chip easily. I'd probably go for good quality plastic.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum