Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
drea2281
Registered Users

My Mood:
WOHM and Cloth diapering

I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I'm new to this forum and new to cloth diapering. Although I will be on maternity leave for two and a half months, I'll be back at work full time M-F 8-5 after that. We are planning to do infant day care and have yet to ask whether they accept cloth diapers. Hopefully they do but if not, I have no problem doing disposables while she's there. It's still saving money and sometimes you just gotta compromise. I just wanna know how working moms do cloth diapers and the wash routine they use. My big fear is that this maybe something that only SAHM's can do. Any advice is appreciated.

Advertisement

drea2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Kaori&Asher
Registered Users

My Mood:
I can not be too much help since I am a SAHM, but from what I understand some daycares except a larger variety of styles while others are particular or don't at all. AIO's or maybe pockets are your best best... I am doing wool covers with fitteds for when he is in childcare at my church. Hope this helps! Good luck!
Kaori&Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I do it. We use Grovia AI2s but treat them like AIOs for daycare. I have 10 aplix shells for daycare, snaps for home, and 36 inserts. I send 5-6 shells with inserts every day and bring them home at night. I pull out the dirty inserts and put in clean ones. I wash every 3 days. I have enough inserts and shells so I don't have to worry about waiting for things to dry.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
drea2281
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: WOHM and Cloth diapering

Besides the diapers, what other accessories have you found to be helpful? How many wet bags would you recommend? Was it hard to convince the day care to use cloth diapers? Thanks so much for the advice!
drea2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

We used disposable liners so poop was easier to clean, a diaper sprayer for home, 2 large hanging wet dry bags from Planet wise to take to/from daycare. Made sure they understood all they had to do was change the baby like any baby and put it in the wet bag. We took disposable wipes like everyone else.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

I'd have three wetbags if you can get them to accept them. I did pockets and AIO with the disposable liner. You start a load when you get home on Wednesday and another on Sunday. Pack up all three wetbags with 6 diapers each and liners folded into it so you can just grab a pack on your way out.
wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
sarahintexas
Registered Users
seller

My dd's preschool allowed us to do AIOs. I brought one to show them when I asked so they knew I wasn't talking pins or anything complicated. I had a clean wetbag for each day (two days a week at the time since I had a split at home / at office schedule). If I sent a cute wetbag, they'd be afraid to get it dirty.

I washed at night since I found it sort of relaxing.
sarahintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
MommyTephanie
Registered Users
seller

I have CD'd at daycare with both of my children (at different times) and have had no issues really. I do work at the daycare so the staff were never fussy about it but I wouldn't be surprised if other places were.

I bought a small trash can with a lid (state regs) and have a rotation of 2 small drawstring wetbags that hold a day of fitteds and covers.

I have enough diapers now that I bring a bunch on day one and bring more every few days. My son is also 13 mos now too so we go through less. At night, I empty out the wetbag, air dry ant covers I can, plop diapers into large wetbag until wash day, and hang my small wetbag to air out too.

I find fitteds and covers fine for our daycare but pockets have been used by other families and the staff have liked those too.

Good luck!
MommyTephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
artangelsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I work similar hours and we just throw in loads at night or early am every other day or so...about to start doing two in cloth...I don't baby my diapers much...and I use the dryer or I would never get them done. We are lucky to have grandma and daddy daycare but I send a wet bag and a pile of dipes in diaper bag each day. I watch tv at night and stuff dipes
artangelsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did cloth with my first, and some with my second. My daycare won't do cloth. Finally, by the time the 3rd was 6 months old (kids were 4, 2, and baby), my life was crazy, I was working 50 hours a week, and it stressed me out too much. We are all sposies now. Every once in awhile we'll do a weekend of cloth. But it just wasn't worth the laundry for 3 cloth diapers a day, and if I didn't wash every other day, DD's room smelled terrible.

You will find what works for you. I love cloth. But the 5 of us make a lot of wash as it is, and I didn't need 4 extra loads a week of diapers when I am already going to bed at midnight and getting up at 6 am.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote