Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:
Nanny Looking for new job

I have come home to care.com open on the laptop three times in the last month. Should I ask about it or assume she's trying to find a part time night babysitting gig? I'd hate for her to find something she liked better and not give us any notice, but it's definitely her right to try to find something if she doesn't love it here. I don't have enough vacation days to cover the time I'd probably need to find a new care situation.

Advertisement

wlillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I'd definitely ask. Just be honest and tell her you noticed she was browsing the site, is there something shed like to discuss or anything you need to know? If your happy with her, make sure she knows it and that she knows you'd like to keep her and work through anything she's unhappy with.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nanny Looking for new job

Whoa, awkward! I would be so stressed if this happened with our nanny.

Didn't you have a thread last month about this nanny coming late, not doing chores, watching ESPN, etc? Honestly it might be that both of you should make a change. Sorry.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
Whoa, awkward! I would be so stressed if this happened with our nanny.

Didn't you have a thread last month about this nanny coming late, not doing chores, watching ESPN, etc? Honestly it might be that both of you should make a change. Sorry.
That was me, not the OP. LOL

OP, I would just ask her.

FWIW, our nanny has now been told that we will no longer need her after the end of this school year.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

I was wondering, kind of sounded familiar. She would get paid extra for doing chores, but I told her she doesn't have to. I really wish she would. Ours watches lifetime and had been late, but has been on time or early for a little over two months.

She has to know we appreciate her, we just gave her a 25% raise because the oldest won't be in school part time for the summer. And we asked her if she was still wanting to work with us next year.

I'll ask tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASMama711 View Post

That was me, not the OP. LOL

OP, I would just ask her.

FWIW, our nanny has now been told that we will no longer need her after the end of this school year.
Oops! Well I'm glad you are making a change. Hope you find someone who is a better fit!

OP you sound like a great employer. I hope the talk goes well!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is this your laptop she is using? That would irk me if it is. We have locked our pc and do not allow the nanny to use it (after one did without asking to browse FB and MySpace). I am just not okay with non-family having access to a pc with personal info on it. Another nanny got on our pc to use care.com (she was part time with us, looking for more part time work) when my DH left and left the pc unlocked. It locked her out when she left it unattended for a certain amount of time, and she actually called me at work to ask me for the password. She could not understand why I refused to give it to her.

I did allow our current nanny to have our wifi password so she could go online and do some homework for a water safety course she was taking. But she has proven to be trustworthy and does more than I ask of her, and is just so so so good.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtr4me View Post
Is this your laptop she is using? That would irk me if it is. We have locked our pc and do not allow the nanny to use it (after one did without asking to browse FB and MySpace). I am just not okay with non-family having access to a pc with personal info on it. Another nanny got on our pc to use care.com (she was part time with us, looking for more part time work) when my DH left and left the pc unlocked. It locked her out when she left it unattended for a certain amount of time, and she actually called me at work to ask me for the password. She could not understand why I refused to give it to her.

I did allow our current nanny to have our wifi password so she could go online and do some homework for a water safety course she was taking. But she has proven to be trustworthy and does more than I ask of her, and is just so so so good.
Yeah I don't understand this at all... You are trusting this person in you're home, with your child, but not with your computer?? I'm a very cynical person (see thread about not telling strangers my kid's name), but if I don't trust someone to surf Facebook on my computer after the kid goes to bed, then why am I trusting them with my child? And frankly the first thing I do with a new sitter or nanny is offer wifi or a computer if they need it, with the condition they be used while the baby is sleeping. We just make a guest login for the computer so they can't accidentally delete work files and stuff.

Last edited by Palooka; 05-29-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

I would ask her!! It makes me worry and I don't like that feeling. good communication is needed between me and my nanny. ( This would sound kinda funny but my dad comes to watch my baby on the days that i need to work and I always come home finding Korean drama on my computer after he leaves. Which is what I plan to give him for b day gift lol!!)
kittenbaby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
wlillie
Banned

My Mood:

Yeah, no problem on the computer thing. I actually offered in the interview when I realized she was getting the job. She's also going to start online classes in the fall (too busy in the summer with my five year old). I asked her today if she was happy. She said yes. Then I asked if she would let me know if something was upsetting her and she looked at me funny. I think I'd left this thread up. So hopefully she was looking for a weekend gig.

note-She has added stuff to my amazon cart, but I'm 100% sure that was an accident. Other than that I feel as the previous poster does. I trust her with the most valuable thing I "own" there isn't anything she could do to hurt me financially that I can't get over.