Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Hives/allergic reaction while pregnant -update ER trip

I just ate Indian food, I eat it all the time, I've had the same food before during this pregnancy. I"m 10 weeks. Well about 1/2 an hour later I'm breaking out in hives all over. I feel ok other than the morning sickness. I also just took a Diclectin but I've been taking those for the last few days. Anyway, a little freaked out. Not sure what to do or if I should take anything and worried I could lose the baby or something. Any advice? I"m waiting for the health line nurse to phone back. I've never had an allergic reaction like this before, not even in my last pregnancy.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys

Last edited by chandni3; 11-03-2012 at 09:23 AM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hives/allergic reaction while pregnant

I got hives at around 6 weeks with this pregnancy. It was right after I ate almonds. They lasted about 3 days, and then were gone. I've read somewhere that hives can have something to do with the rising level of progesterone.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hives/allergic reaction while pregnant

Wow, what a night. I spent it in Emerg. When I first talked to the nurse the phone she said not to take benadryl cos I'm pregnant and to see the doctor on Saturday since I wasn't having problems breathing but to call back if it got worse. Over the next 3 hours the hives just spread and spread. My face, my ears, my whole back my arms, my butt. I called back and they said to go into emerg. The hives continued to spread while I was there. I never had problems breathing though. They gave me benadryl which did nothing and then put me on an IV and wanted to give me steroids. I refused at first and wanted to wait. Well, hives just spread more and more down my arms and legs. So I gave in and they hooked me up to it. I finally fell asleep around 3 I think. Around 4:30 the doctor sent me home with more benadryl and oral steroids. He said they're pretty safe in pregnancy. He wanted me to take one before I left but I got out of it because I was feeling sick from morning sickness. I had to open the door at the stop sign on the way home a puke for a while. That really sucked. I got home and went to bed. This morning most of the hives are gone except on my feet and they've showed up on the palms of my hands. I don't think I'll take the steroids though, I just don't feel safe taking them at only 10 weeks and it's only to make me more comfortable. I don't have problems breathing or anything. I might take the benadryl. The doctor says the hives might last a couple days. It must have been something in the Indian food we ate though I've eaten that same food from that restaurant during this pregnancy already and ate Indian food every day for years when I lived there. I love my Indian food. But as long as I'm not allergic to the diclectin, heaven forbid!

Last edited by chandni3; 11-03-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Hives/allergic reaction while pregnant -update ER trip

Wow glad you are okay! I wonder if they got a new chef or added a slightly different ingredient? I would call and ask so you can avoid that particular food if possible.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post
Wow glad you are okay! I wonder if they got a new chef or added a slightly different ingredient? I would call and ask so you can avoid that particular food if possible.
I agree, sounds serious enough that you should call and get a list of ingredients so you can avoid them! Glad you are doing okay
Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Allergic reactions can come from nowhere and happen even when no reaction has happened before. I had taken keflex many times until I became allergic to it. That's they way it works. The first sensitizing reaction is usually very mild and unrecognized. The reactions get progressively worse until they can become life threatening. You might call the restuarant and see what they put in your dish. It worth finding out so that you can avoid it in the future.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had so many allergies with this pregnancy, its crazy. I got poison ivy horribly this pregnancy and last pregnancy. I had it for weeks each time. I gave in(after researching tons and waiting a week) and took the prescribed steroids. I hated it but I was not getting any better.
I've gotten hives multiple times since then. Usually for me I can take a shower and it helps(obviously showers wouldn't help with food reactions). I swear I think I'm allergic to dust right now.
I'm so glad you are ok and I too would ask about the food ingredients. Hopefully you don't have anymore episodes like that. Our bodies change in crazy ways sometimes during pregnancy.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DP

Last edited by mommycass; 11-03-2012 at 06:49 PM.
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies. I'm trying to get hubby to call (I'm too shy). I'm sure they'll say they did nothing different, but it's worth a try. I took benadryl before bed yesterday but was awake scratching most of the night. Feeling pretty crappy today with morning sickness and itchy and my skin burning from scratching it so much. I might try to put some coconut oil on to sooth it, at least from my scratching so much. It is getting better though. Ugg, can't wait until I start to feel better. I really really dislike being pregnant, at least the first trimester. I wish I could enjoy it more because it know it's such a blessing, but it really just sucks big time. I'd do labour any day over morning sickness.