Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
kmann14
Registered Users

LDS Adoption

We are LDS and looking to adopt though church services. Has anyone gone through the adoption process through the church? If so can you give me an overview of how the process worked for you?

Advertisement

kmann14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: LDS Adoption

I have not adopted through them - but i had a close friend who adopted her daughter through them and my sibling placed their baby with them - so i have seen how i works on both ends. Feel free to PM me if you want
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have three different friends who have adopted through lds family services. They are all very open about the process. If you pm me I can get you contact info
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
MommyKrista
Registered Users

My Mood:

Anyone have links to blogs or whatnot that discuss LDS services adoption (from either perspective)? We considered adopting through them last year but several things on the website turned me off. And technically, while my husband & I are able to conceive & carry children quite easily, delivering those babies in to the world doesn't happen as successfully for me (our last child died during birth). So for emotional/mental reasons (and because we have always planned to adopt anyways) we considered adoption but it seemed like you almost had to prove infertility to go through LDS Social Services? Is that correct?

I guess it's a moot point for us anyways, since if all goes well with my current pregnancy, we'll have 3 living children, which I believe also disqualifies us. Out of curiosity, I'd love to hear others experiences though!

Last edited by MommyKrista; 11-13-2012 at 10:56 PM.
MommyKrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKrista
Anyone have links to blogs or whatnot that discuss LDS services adoption (from either perspective)? We considered adopting through them last year but several things on the website turned me off. And technically, while my husband & I are able to conceive & carry children quite easily, delivering those babies in to the world doesn't happen as successfully for me (our last child died during birth). So for emotional/mental reasons (and because we have always planned to adopt anyways) we considered adoption but it seemed like you almost had to prove infertility to go through LDS Social Services? Is that correct?

I guess it's a moot point for us anyways, since if all goes well with my current pregnancy, we'll have 3 living children, which I believe also disqualifies us. Out of curiosity, I'd love to hear others experiences though!
Im so sorry for your loss. i dont have known fertility issues (dd was ntnp and we have been tta since) but i have seen that from a few agencies. There are plenty that dont have that stipulation and foster/adopt is a wonderful option for several reasons and that is what we decided in. I had a very traumatic birth and am blessed to have my dd. She has cerebral palsy and is a delight/a terror lol!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We adopted through LDS Family Services, but we ended up finding the girls' birth mother. She agreed to go through LDS Family Services since we were already working with them and it is what they call a designated adoption.

When we had applied there was not a stipulation regarding infertility. I know they had added one while we were still waiting, but I just looked at their website and did not see it on there anymore.

LDS Family Services has a lot of adoptive couples waiting/hoping to adopt and not very many expectant parents that choose to place for adoption. We were told that the average wait is two years. There are a lot of adoptive couples because the church subsidizes the cost of adoption so the fee to adopt through them is much lower than most adoptions through other agencies.

We didn't get a single expectant mom contact us through LDS Family Services, but our profile was looked at. We had a bad experience with our first case worker and asked to be switched after a year of waiting. Our second case worker was much better and really cared about us and getting to know us.

We sent out adoption pass along cards with our Christmas letter during the second year of waiting. It was one of those cards that got to the girls' birth mom. My friend told me she was passing it on and I hadn't heard anything until three weeks later. I had thought that the girls' birth mom wasn't interested since I hadn't heard anything and was pleasantly surprised/shocked to get the email from her asking if we were still interesting in taking her girls. Since it was a designated adoption, our caseworker didn't set up the meeting nor was she present when we first met the girls' birth mom. We were on our own, but I did talk to our caseworker before contacting the girls' birth mom to get some suggestions on what to talk about with her and such. After the girls' birth mom decided that she did want to place her twin girls with us and she went to LDS Family Services to get her own caseworker, our caseworker worked with her caseworker. Everything went smoothly even at the hospital. Her caseworker talked with us at the hospital and said that this was one of the smoothest adoption cases she's done.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I don't get here as often as I once did.