Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Your thoughts on tossing toddler in air?

No and my husband doesn't like it either. I would NEVER allow anyone to throw my daughter in the air. I think the people who do it only an inch out of their hands are fine. However the ones who throw high are taking such a risk.

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
sitesupporter
seller
seller

DH has done it once or twice, but I don't encourage it. I trust my husband, but anything can happen I don't mind him lifting, but launching and letting go isn't safe.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

ok, honest question. if you don't think it's safe, then why do it?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

My DH doesn't do this more than an inch or two, and it still makes me a touch nervous but I'm much more of a worry wort than he is. A friend has a photo on her FB page of her DH throwing their then approx 18 mo old up in the air and he was a good 10 - 12 feet off the ground. It was shocking to see the photo. I was really surprised she allowed him to throw their DS that high, and took a pic to top it off. Scary.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda
Because its a game both my dd and dh enjoy. Just because it makes me worry a little doesn't mean they shouldnt be able to do it. Hes never dropped her and doesn't throw her what I would consider too high.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Doesn't make me nervous at all.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #17
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Not sure if you meant me or just in general, but here I don't do it [not strong enough] and DH hasn't since I mentioned I wasn't crazy about it.

It seems like a "daddy" thing, daddy rough-housing, like a PP said. In my situation, I didn't want to freak out on him when I saw him do it and embarrass him. He's a parent as much as me.

I waited until we weren't around people to mention it and how I thought it was a bit unsafe. He hasn't done it since.

I can see why some people might agree it's unsafe but still allow it. I don't think swinging kids by the hands is all that safe either, and I don't allow that. People do it all the time though. I just have a personal experience that makes me adamant about it.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the responses! I really just wanted to try and get an honest response before I posted my thoughts.

I have no problem with dh tossing either of the kids. They are 15 months and 2.5 years. I don't think I'd be ok with anyone else doing it. DH does toss them pretty high sometimes and he's 6' 5". Here's the reason I was trying to get others' opinions...

I took a picture of DH tossing DD up (no I won't post it here) and emailed it to some family/friends along with some other photos. We're military and rarely get to see everyone so we all send regular emails/pictures back and forth. Most of the replies I got back were along the lines of "weeee", "cool picture" and "looks like fun". Except for my parents! They freaked out and told me that it was dangerous, we'd get in trouble, etc... I would consider them overly cautious NOW. I say now because 26 years ago when my sister and I were that age, my dad wouldn't have thought twice about doing the same and there are pics to prove it. I guess the picture did look kind of crazy. DH is 6'5" and I was sitting on the ground when I took the pic, so DD does look pretty high up.

Anyways, I guess I just wanted to see what others thought... Thanks!

Last edited by mrs_blazen; 11-04-2012 at 08:34 AM.
mrs_blazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh and I didn't mean that people who think this is unsafe are overly cautious! I was just saying my parents are way over cautious about EVERYTHING when it comes to grandbabies so I wanted to get an opinion from "normal" people.
mrs_blazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #20
leyash
Registered Users
seller

I hate it.

My youngest has had a brain injury/surgery/trauma... so anything to do with possible head injury scares the CRAP out of me.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote