Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what should they get?

I hate the Radian because it is so dang heavy, and it cuts the hell out of your hand doing a seatbelt isntall. Mine come undone using LATCH in my Odyssey, DH's Accord, and my mom's Acadia (Diono sent out 2 extra belts and couldn't fix the problem). I own 3 and after their customer no-service at fixing my issues, I will never buy another one. There are also a lot of little things you have to remember when using it, like putting the safe stop on and off, and having to have the RF boot. I would not buy another one. We had to have them for 3 across in DH's car, and after the crap they gave me with the LATCH loosening, I wish I could trash them!

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
I love our radians! We have 5. I can get a good install with latch or seatbelt. It does have a learning curve though IMO.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #13
an_aurora
Registered Users

I have had 4 Radians and hate them. They are super heavy and awkward. I much prefer the True Fit or My Ride.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have never had a problem with my Radian. I don't use the LATCH very often but I have never had a problem with an install. I know there are compatibility issues with certain vehicles but I have not run across them. I have also never injured myself installing one, that usually happens with Dorel seats at seat checks.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch!910 View Post
My only complaints about Radian is that you need to tug-tug-tug the harness adjuster to tighten it, and the shoulder pads are very thick so can be awkward when your child is just about ready to move up to the next shoulder slot but isn't quite there and its far beneath shoulder level if that makes any sense.
I don't like the harness tightening either - I prefer just being able to pull once until it's tight - but I don't find we have to adjust the harness often anyways.
You don't have to use the shoulder pads - just remove them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I hate the Radian because it is so dang heavy, and it cuts the hell out of your hand doing a seatbelt isntall. Mine come undone using LATCH in my Odyssey, DH's Accord, and my mom's Acadia (Diono sent out 2 extra belts and couldn't fix the problem).
I've never had trouble with seatbelt install - what part hurt your hand?
about the LATCH. That's... weird. And definitely something that should have been figured out and fixed!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

The LATCH is a compatibility issue. SKJP did a horrible job of handling it. There are still a bunch of people out there that are angry about it. If they had acknowledged it was a compatibility issue rather than blaming the users it would have gone much differently.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

We love our Radians, too, but they install like a dream in my car and we rarely take them out, so the fact that they're heavy is irrelevant to me.

We have a MyRide, as well, it does the job but I don't love it. It has high sides, so it was hard for me to get a kid in it in my husband's car without bumping their head.

Do they have a price limit? Britax seats are generally easy to install, easy to use, fit well in most vehicles, and have high enough limits to last most kids quite awhile.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
The LATCH is a compatibility issue. SKJP did a horrible job of handling it. There are still a bunch of people out there that are angry about it. If they had acknowledged it was a compatibility issue rather than blaming the users it would have gone much differently.
Huh. Well that's stinky of them.
I'm glad we don't use LATCH, after reading about that (I didn't know about it before this thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2010 View Post
We love our Radians, too, but they install like a dream in my car and we rarely take them out, so the fact that they're heavy is irrelevant to me.
Good point! I was thinking while reading "yeah it's heavier, but it doesn't bother us" - then it clicked while reading your post that we don't move it between vehicles or anything, it only gets moved to clean the van. Der!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post

Good point! I was thinking while reading "yeah it's heavier, but it doesn't bother us" - then it clicked while reading your post that we don't move it between vehicles or anything, it only gets moved to clean the van. Der!
Where it becomes a problem is traveling. Trying to get a Radian through the airport with kiddo, stroller, carryons, and everything else is a PITA.

Where it cuts my hand is in the RF belt path trying to feed the belt through. I have 3, and it does it on all three.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #20
an_aurora
Registered Users

Yep, it happens to my hand too. The RF belt path is small and my hands are big.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote