Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Farrah Grace's beautiful homebirth

I started having contractions on my Older child's birthday (12-13) and I got really nervous that they would share a birthday. I didn't want that. I wanted them to each have their own day. I meditated all evening and thankfully the contractions stopped.

On 12-15, my EDD, I was having more contractions. They weren't painful or uncomfortable at all so I just ignored them. At about 3 pm they started to get noticeable. Again, not painful at all. They started getting regular, about every 6 minutes lasting a minute. I could still talk and laugh through them so I knew I had a while to go. At about 8 pm I called my midwife and doula to let them know I was having contractions and just wanted to give them a heads-up that I might be calling them in the middle of the night
My parents-in-law were watching our 2 year old at the time so we just told them to keep her until we called.

At 8:30 pm my doula arrived. I thought she was nuts for coming so early, I was watching The Hangover with my husband and laughing and having a great time. I took a shower and it felt good to run the warm water on my back.

Pretty soon I had to start moaning through the contractions. They still weren't painful yet so I figured I had hours of this to go. My husband started filling up the birth pool and I just kept thinking everyone was crazy and getting way ahead of themselves. All of a sudden I got very serious and my mind shifted into concentration mode. I blocked out everything around me and just labored and rested in between.

At 10:00 pm the birth pool was full and ready to go and by that time the contractions were getting pretty painful. I felt like I was going to vomit. My doula got me a bowl in case I did.

I crawled my way from the couch to the birth pool and stripped off my clothes slowly. I slid into the tub and it felt AWESOME! The water just relaxed my body.

I started to get the ''I can't do this!'' and yelling very loudly during contractions. I am so glad my 2 year old wasn't there because I know it would have scared her. I did originally want her there for the birth but it just happened that she was at my parents-in-law at the time and I'm glad it worked out that way.
A deep fear came over me. I don't know what it was about or even why I was scared, I was just filled with fear.
DH was doing counter pressure which felt pretty good.

I heard my doula on the phone with my Midwife asking her how long until she would get there and hurry up because I was going quickly and she thought the baby would be here really soon. I still thought she was crazy I had a 25 hour HARD labor with my first child.

My midwife's apprentice arrived. (She lives closer to me than my midwife)
and she started setting up and told me I was probably crowning at that point. She put her hand in the water and just felt around, not internally and said ''Yep. Baby's head is right there'' and I couldn't believe it.

Then the burning feeling came. My midwife had arrived by then. I felt a pop and knew my water broke. She told me to put my hand down there and feel my baby. I was scared. I resisted. Finally I gave in and put my hand down there and felt her head right there! It was so surreal. Then I felt her tiny little hair floating around in the water and I yelled ''I FEEL HAIR!!'' and everyone giggled.

I really didn't want to push. I don't know why. But then my body started doing it for me.

My midwife was trying to find the baby's heartbeat with a doppler and tried for about 20 minutes. She couldn't find it so she started getting out the Neonatal Resuscitation equipment that we had pre-set up. My husband freaked out. She kept it really quiet so I never even noticed.
Then her head was out! The cord was wrapped 3 times tightly around her neck and it ran up her back. My midwife told me I had to push as hard as I could and fast and do it for my baby. I did. I used every ounce of strength in my body and she came out quickly.
At 10:43 pm she was born.

Thank the Universe she was fine. Not even a hint of blue. She pinked right up and was crying. It was music to my ears. I finally got to meet the little person I grew and felt moving inside me for 40 weeks. I dreamed of this moment.
We didn't cut the cord for 25 hours after birth.
My favorite picture

Daddy held her while I pushed out the placenta. I tend to hemorrhage and have very low blood pressure so my midwife was watching me like a hawk. I did end up needing an injection of Pitocin.

First time she latched on about 30 minutes after birth

In my herb bath about 2 hours after birth. You can see the 'placenta package' all wrapped up on the edge of the tub.

With daddy, again the placenta package

Getting weighted

Farrah Grace
12/15/09
10:43 pm
8 lbs 8 oz
21 inches

Thanks for reading

Advertisement

Last edited by Edensmomma; 04-30-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Farrah Grace's beautiful homebirth

beautiful! I love all the photos. What a great gift for Farrah when she gets older.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

wait it (placenta) took 25hrs to stop pulsating?

AMAZING birth story by the way.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

great birth story and photos mama!!! congrats!!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
KaysieW003
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wonderful story and great photos...they pull you right in and make me feel like I was there! Who was taking the photos?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you everyone! It was truly amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eragsdale View Post
wait it (placenta) took 25hrs to stop pulsating?

AMAZING birth story by the way.
No it didn't. We did a lotus birth where you wait until the cord starts to dry up. It's physiological cord closure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaysieW003 View Post
Wonderful story and great photos...they pull you right in and make me feel like I was there! Who was taking the photos?
My doula
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
gotomakan
Registered Users
seller

Wow, awesome story!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
Revy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow! Congratulations mama. Awesome birth story and nice pics
Naturally for Her is the first company dedicated in providing the best organic and natural fertility management options like Lady-Comp and the Today Sponge FREE SHIPPING in the US! FREE 1 BOX of Natacare 100% Organic products in every purchase of Lady-Comp!
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
lavender dragonfly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What an amazing story.

Thank you so much for sharing. I am really craving a homebirth now
Old 05-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
BootyGold