Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
benadryl and nursing - HELP

anyone take benadryl while nursing? I got stung twice by a horsefly and i am swelling up pretty good ...i know that a good antihistamine can sometimes help -does anyone have any experience with this?
tia

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: benadryl and nursing - HELP

no personal exp here but this is from www.kellymom.com

Mom's use of Benadryl and Chlor-Trimeton are generally regarded to be compatible with breastfeeding, but always double-check the active ingredients. Monitor your infant for possible drowsiness if you use an antihistamine. The non-sedating antihistamines (below) are generally preferred and are less likely to sedate baby.

Milk supply: A common concern is that antihistamines might lower milk supply but, per Dr. Thomas Hale, there is no current research supporting this belief. If you feel that your supply has decreased, it could simply be a byproduct of decreased nursing frequency or dehydration due to your illness.

If you feel that a medication is the cause of a sudden drop in milk supply, then stop taking (or decrease your use of) the medication - if the med is indeed the cause, then supply should increase again soon after you stop taking it. When using an antihistamine, it can be helpful to step up your fluid intake quite a bit. As with any medication, take it only as needed, and discontinue use as soon as you can.

http://kellymom.com/health/meds/cold...antihistamines

HTH!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mama! i am wondering more i guess if anyone has taken it and found that their milk supply really decreased?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

our ped says benadryl was safe while nursing, they said milk supply concerns were only if you use it regularly!
homeschoolingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
ST13031
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had an antihistamine prescribed to me for a cold last year, and my milk supply did noticeably drop.... I asked the dr if it was safe for nursing and he said yes, but failed to mention it could lower supply....... I have never had a good supply though, so I suppose if you have always had good supply, it may not effect you as badly. I noticed a big drop and wondered what was up, and called my LC, and she said yes, that it was an antihistamine and they can dry you up and advised to stop taking it. I had only taken a few of them too. Just my experince and
Old 05-11-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Diapersewingmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've never had supply issues. But I have used Benadryl safely while breastfeeding on occasion when I needed it. I hope you feel better.

New Innovative One Size Diaper
Diapersewingmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have taken benadryl, and epinephrine during breastfeeding (due to anaphalaxis) perfectly safe, and no noticable decrease in supply. If you do notice a drop, eat some oatmeal, or take some fenugreek, or drink mamma milk tea. Take care momma!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #8
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

I took benadryl on a regular basis to battle insomnia and my allergies and didn't notice a drop in my milk supply, however, I was also drinking milk thistle so I could pump regularly for back up supply, too.
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
prairieflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry you got bit! Ouch!

Could you try something topical, rather than taking an antihistamine? A company called Boerke & Tafel makes something called Sss Sting Stop:
http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDe...&pid=BAT-25397

There's also this:
http://www.quantumhealth.com/product...chandbite.html Sting Soothe-- near the bottom of the page.

I've used both of these in the past with good results. I love Quantum's Sting Soothe.

I'd double check to make sure all ingredients are safe while nursing, but something topical like this would bring you faster relief. There's also Benadryl lotion and stuff.

I've always used a paste of baking soda and water on bug bites, and done pretty well, too.

I hope you feel better soon! I was bitten once by a horsefly and hated it.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #10
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only problem you may have is that Benadryl dries up all your bodily fluids a bit s o just increase your fluid intake.
HTH,