Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vitamins ??

Do any of you give Poly-Vi-Sol ?? The Ped recommended that we give DD PVS for the vit D since she is EBF now and no longer supplementing.
She said that she never gave it to her kids, but she highly recommends it to other moms that may not get the baby out in the sun for 10mins everyday.

I got some today and gave it to her, but MAN that stuff stinks, smells like nasty half rotten veggies.
It says that its fruit flavored, but it sure dont taste like it, it tastes like lemon with LOTS of iron, kinda like blood would taste (not that I have ever purposely tasted blood).

Is there not another way to get the vit D that she needs without the PVS ?? Does she not get enough through me ?? We eat veggies all the time, I drink milk, eat yogurt etc.

We have lots of sun around here, but it rains a lot here as well.

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vitamins ??

We just use the Vitamin D drops (D-Vi-Sol or generic brand). I was told that babies don't need Poly-Vi-Sol or Tri-Vi-Sol unless there are other reasons for supplementing additional vitamins. Since breastmilk is only deficient in Vitamin D, you only need to supplement Vitamin D. HTH!

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Amanda2319
Registered Users

My Mood:

Our ped offered it, but never made a big deal over it. I told him Cassie is out a lot, (she is) and he wasn't concerned.

Amanda2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda2319 View Post
Our ped offered it, but never made a big deal over it. I told him Cassie is out a lot, (she is) and he wasn't concerned.
We're not out everyday, but we have a balcony that we can hang out on...Only their hands and face need to be exposed and even on a cloudy day, they get something...
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Yep I NEVER gave anything to my dd and she's fine. To tell the truth we weren't out much just here and there. She was an Aug. baby though so the sun was out when we were. KWIM? I don't think it's something that NEEDS given unless you are in ALL the time.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's also rice milk and soy milk that are fortified with vitamin D, which you can drink and she will get through your milk.

I think the vitamin D thing is an overrated concern, and I stay away from synthetic things that don't seem good. I also believe that nature blesses us with whatever we need, and that breastmilk is the perfect food for babies. For example, it doesn't have iron, but too much iron can be toxic and deadly to children.

Last edited by MamaLove; 05-03-2007 at 08:19 PM.
MamaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it matters where you live too though. They strongly recommend it here, especially in the winter when we have less than 7-8 hours of daylight every day. Plus it's too cold to take babies out with skin exposed to get the vitamin D from the sun.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:55 AM   #8
Amanda2319
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been wondering, if our breastmilk is lower in Vit D, maybe Mother Nature designed it that way because it's not needed as much as doctors think it is?

Amanda2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:19 AM   #9
renfairemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we dont do vitamins. I had tried it with my other kiddies and it was nasty!! We try to get out in the sunshine... and we are ok here. I think breastmilk is all good and gives baby exactly what they need!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You can read some about vitamin supplements on kellymom: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/index.html

From what I've read, it's more of a big deal in the extreme north where they don't get as much daylight.

Now, I did give Polyvisol because we had DJ's blood checked and he was anemic (he was also a preemie). The drops do smell awful but he never minded at all. He would take them straight, once he started solids I would mix them with a few bites of his food.

Good luck!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote