Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Whooping cough .........

I just read an article the other day on Whooping Cough and it talked about how Vitamin C is your best bet. http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/20...-humphries-md/

Advertisement

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Veg's Dragonflies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
I just read an article the other day on Whooping Cough and it talked about how Vitamin C is your best bet. http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/20...-humphries-md/
Thanks for the article! Just called mom to pick up more fruit
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Veg's Dragonflies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numommy View Post
You are a brave woman.
I'm not an expert in anything, I mean that. But I had good results w fish oil for my daughters asthma exacerbations. ( i used western medicine as well- until i felt i she had enough reserve for me to try wo them) I got the liquid from Nordic Naturals.
I m sure you know about the benefits for fish oil. I couldn't imagine it could be any better than colostrum or breast milk.
I don't know about "brave" maybe just determined or stubborn. lol As for fish oil..... i didn't of all the benefits until about 7 months ago. It was a great product to help my dialation and contraction. That and tons of raw pineapple. Made my normal labor and delivery of 12 hours only take about 1 hour. Made it to the hospital with eight minutes to spare Fish oil is good stuff Raw coconut water has excellent benefits too.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #14
Veg's Dragonflies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Anymore advice mamas? He's holding steady, no more fevers and only coughing if he gets hungry or excited. But the cough is worse at that time. I can calm him within 2 minutes. H is actually alert and has sat up in his crib and played for arund 30 minutes at a time 2-3 times a day.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #15
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you are doing very well, Mama! I have another link to a great article on Vitamin C for whooping cough:

http://breadwithhoney.blogspot.com/2...vitamin-c.html

Mama- there is a lot of whooping cough in my area this year. If my baby (3 months right now) gets it- praying to the dear Lord she doesn't, but it is bad here- can I pm you? I've been trying to build up my arsenal as well- totally agree with you on the antibiotics!!!
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
Veg's Dragonflies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Of course you can pm me!
Just pulled up the article. I've been trying to read as much on vit c as I possibly can. Luckily I seem to have a lot of time to sit here with the laptop while holding my little man. Mom will be heading back to the health food store today to get vit c liquid. I tried to get him his vit c through food but I don't think he can eat enough of it. I think it also very important that I keep applying the garlic oil that my son made for him. I added eucalyptus essential oil to it and he seems to stay less congested. Therefore no vomiting from excessive coughing. I hope this made sense with my lack of sleep.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
need some diaps!
Registered Users
seller

Eucalyptus is amazing!! For whatever reason WC is my great fear. Just the sound of coughing makes me panic a little, so I have been watching this for any (hopefully unneeded) pointers and hoping your LO clears up soon
need some diaps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

I came across a recipe for Eucalyptus-Menthol Respiratory Salve today and thought of this thread. It's like Vick's Vapor Rub, but without the petrochemicals.

1 cup olive oil
1/4 cup beeswax
1/4 teaspoon menthol crystals
10-15 drops eucalyptus essential oil

In a double boiler (or glass dish in a pan of water) melt the oil and beeswax together. Add the menthol crystals just as the beeswax is melting. Add the essential oil and pour the mixture into a glass container. Allow to cool before using as needed.

To use, spread the salve on the chest and cover with a wet, warm washcloth. Recline so that the head is relaxed but above the chest to allow inhalation of the vapors. After 10 minutes, wipe off the salve with a clean cotton cloth. Repeat as needed. It's helpful with nasal congestion, coughing, and sore throat.

The recipe is from the book The Essential Herbal for Everyday Health by Holly Bellebuono. I paraphrased the instructions a bit, but that's the idea. Hopefully someone finds it helpful. Glad to hear your LO seems to be holding his own. Good luck!
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
MyNameIsMama
Registered Users
seller

My DH and I both had the whopping cough, you have to ride it out, antibiotics can only be helpful if you take them right away and most people don't know they have it until it is too late for the antibiotics. Humidifiers will help. Warm liquids, no cold air or drafts.
MyNameIsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #20
Veg's Dragonflies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
I came across a recipe for Eucalyptus-Menthol Respiratory Salve today and thought of this thread. It's like Vick's Vapor Rub, but without the petrochemicals.

1 cup olive oil
1/4 cup beeswax
1/4 teaspoon menthol crystals
10-15 drops eucalyptus essential oil

In a double boiler (or glass dish in a pan of water) melt the oil and beeswax together. Add the menthol crystals just as the beeswax is melting. Add the essential oil and pour the mixture into a glass container. Allow to cool before using as needed.

To use, spread the salve on the chest and cover with a wet, warm washcloth. Recline so that the head is relaxed but above the chest to allow inhalation of the vapors. After 10 minutes, wipe off the salve with a clean cotton cloth. Repeat as needed. It's helpful with nasal congestion, coughing, and sore throat.

The recipe is from the book The Essential Herbal for Everyday Health by Holly Bellebuono. I paraphrased the instructions a bit, but that's the idea. Hopefully someone finds it helpful. Glad to hear your LO seems to be holding his own. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I may try to get these ingredients, but he is doing so well, I am hoping it is almost over with.