Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
crnchy_mama_lala
Registered Users
seller

Re: Getting kids to clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
He'll get angry and throw something down, then immediately go pick it up and put it back like he made his point but can't stand the mess. It's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post
Like, for every 10 toys you pick up (and he had to count as he did it, yay learning!) you get a sticker on your dinner chart. (Dinner chart was after 5 stickers he got to pick what we made for dinner or had for dessert one night.) Or on his game chart (where he could pick what family game we all played on Saturday).
I love this idea!

I agree with the pp's who said you aren't expecting too much. My 3 yr/o DD is expected to help clean around the house. I don't think there's a problem using a rewards system as long as they aren't disrespecting you when they don't receive a reward.

Advertisement

crnchy_mama_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I b watching. Extra bath time if like or something. I have 7. & 1 & expecting. Good lick candy as last resort. Hubby advice too?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a magnetic chore chart for our two year old. It's a framed piece of sheet metal with a line down the middle. On one side it says "To do" and on the other side it says "done". I have all kinds of chores printed on magnets, and put a few out each morning before she gets up (all have a picture and words).

Some are things she does anyways - get dressed, brush hair, brush teeth. Some are actual chores - help with dishwasher, empty garbage can, put laundry away, pick up toys, feed the puppy. As she finishes a chore, she can move it to the other side of the board (which she loves). At the end of the day, she gets a sticker if they are all done. We have been doing it for a couple of weeks now, and she really likes it! During the day, she will run to her board to see if anything needs to be done, and she is proud when she can move a magnet over.

Maybe something visual/kinesthetic like that would work?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My almost 8 yr old is pretty good at cleaning up, always has been. She's a rule follower so we always said its the rule that you pick up and she would.

Dd2 gets overwelmed easily with pick up. So we always would tell her specifically what to pick up - ie. pick up the littlest pet shop animals and put them here. When that is done we give her a new task.

Ds is 3 and some days picks up great and somedays not so much.

What ultimately has helped the most is to restrict toys. Everything is sorted into bins. Unless they have permission otherwise each child can only get 1 bin out at a time. To get more toys out they must put the first bin away. They've been told that if I catch then getting too many bins out all bins will be put out of their reach and they'll have to ask to get any toys out. So far they haven't questioned that threat. I do keep their legos and a handful of open ended stuff out and easilly accessable for them all the time. But very little isn't in a bin. Our house is 1000 times easier for everyone to clean up now and the kids are all much better at picking up with little prompting.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote