Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Vitamin D for babies?

My doctor told me all babies need extra vitamin D and specifically breastfed babies do. At the pharmacy they simply gave us a liquid multivitamin and Lo refuses to take it, he gags and spits up and cries. I stopped giving it to him and asked a few friends of mine. None of them have been told this and all of them breastfeed (one even has a preemie).

Is it that big of a deal that I don't give it to him? Surely it can't be that important if 5 other friends doctors never told them anything.

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Vitamin D for babies?

My doctor recommended it for all 3 of my kids but honestly, I didn't keep up on giving it to them.
essential1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil
My doctor told me all babies need extra vitamin D and specifically breastfed babies do. At the pharmacy they simply gave us a liquid multivitamin and Lo refuses to take it, he gags and spits up and cries. I stopped giving it to him and asked a few friends of mine. None of them have been told this and all of them breastfeed (one even has a preemie).

Is it that big of a deal that I don't give it to him? Surely it can't be that important if 5 other friends doctors never told them anything.
My LO was rx'ed vit d drops. We've been doing them for 2 yrs and she gets reg milk now. She loves them. I tasted it - kind of peach syrup. I don't know if they're rx only in OR or if the OTC kind are different.

I think it's a newer recommendation.

I was told they're beneficial for long term bone growth/calcium depositing. That being said I forget to give them to her all the time and she is certainly growing and hasn't shown signs of rickets
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
Gardyloo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The one I've used is just a single drop of liquid. I would put it on my nipple before feeding. But if you'd rather not do the supplement, I think you can just expose LO to a certain amount of sun each day. I can't remember exactly how much, maybe only like 10 minutes a day, IIRC. I'd have to look it up.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #5
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There's a difference between the Enfamil multivitamin drops and Vitamin D drops in taste. The multivitamin drops taste gross - my lo gagged on them too. He likes the Enfamil Vitamin D drops or the Vitamin A,C& D combo (also by Enfamil). In fact, he opens his mouth when I tell him it's time for his vitamin
Old 11-02-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I also give my babies and kids 1 drop of Vitamin D Drops. Under a certain age, it's one drop and over that age it's 2 drops. I do it in the winter though when they are not outside as much.

If your baby doesn't even want the 1 droplet, is there something you can eat in your diet that increases Vit D in your milk?
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope. You don't need it. Just make sure they are getting sunlight most days. If you live in a climate where they are constantly bundled up or raining for months, then yes I would do it.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee
Nope. You don't need it. Just make sure they are getting sunlight most days. If you live in a climate where they are constantly bundled up or raining for months, then yes I would do it.
I agree with this.
My ped actually told us that the Poly-vi-sol that is recommended by some is total poison.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

It is a new recommendation. It wasn't out yet when DD1 was born (she's 3), but was recommended for DD2 (22 months). My ped told me it was based on studies showing lower rates of forearm fractures in children and toddlers who had been receiving the supplement. These threads always turn into a debate about whether or nit we get enough vitamin D.

If you do want to do it, don't use the multivitamin, it tastes gross. We used the D-Vi-Sol instead of Poli-Vi-Sol, I could get it over the counter at Walmart. The D one tastes sweet and DD2 loved it.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

I was given a prescription for them with dd (age 4) but never used it. However, I've heard good things about Carlson drops which are colorless and tasteless. I am not sure if I will give them with this next baby or not. I don't think I will in the summer but not sure about the rest of the yr.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote