Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Judy4all
Registered Users
seller

Newbie... want to CD but live in an apt.. need advise

Hi everyone,

I just joined and still excited about reading all the info on here.

Expecting my first in dec... i want to CD using prefolds and covers only... but i dont have a washer/dryer in my apt... we have one on d building though.... washing/drying costs 3.50

I plan to have 48 prefolds and 12 thirsties duos.... 9 snappis.... do you think that's enough? I plan to wash hopefully 2x a week to keep costs down.. any advise/tips are very welcome.

Advertisement

Judy4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Newbie... want to CD but live in an apt.. need advise

U can get small washer or tub& plunger.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Judy4all
Registered Users
seller

Problem is there is no space in my apt for a washer of any size.. Will have to deal with the costs until we move... I figure I'll be washing so many onesies anyway, I'm better off CD'ing.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
traciemwilliams
Registered Users

Babies are messy....diapers, blowouts, spit ups, sheets, blankets, etc.....I think you will be doing a lot of washing. I cut my wash routine to a rinse cycle with the diapers and then I throw in all the clothes and wash with the detergent. This cuts down on washer time and number of washes.
traciemwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
Judy4all
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by traciemwilliams View Post
Babies are messy....diapers, blowouts, spit ups, sheets, blankets, etc.....I think you will be doing a lot of washing. I cut my wash routine to a rinse cycle with the diapers and then I throw in all the clothes and wash with the detergent. This cuts down on washer time and number of washes.
Thanks... I'm thinking maybe cold rinse by hand.... wash with other baby things laundry and dry normally...
Old 11-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Please do not wash diapers and covers with other baby things. Regardless of rinsing the. In the tub or sink, it is human waste. You may find you will get stink issues with doing only 2 loads a week. Just my opinion but after cd'ing 3 kiddos...
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Love4leon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just do it. I did it for our daughters first year- it seems a bit daunting at first but once you are in it it just becomes routine- it really isn't a big deal. We just used the laundry machines in another building- I just wore my daughter and did laundry. It is still a very fond memory actually. I have no regrets! You will do fine!
Love4leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Judy4all
Registered Users
seller

Thanks much for the tip... I guess I'll just try different methods to see the ones that work best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeneely View Post
Please do not wash diapers and covers with other baby things. Regardless of rinsing the. In the tub or sink, it is human waste. You may find you will get stink issues with doing only 2 loads a week. Just my opinion but after cd'ing 3 kiddos...
Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
Judy4all
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4leon View Post
Just do it. I did it for our daughters first year- it seems a bit daunting at first but once you are in it it just becomes routine- it really isn't a big deal. We just used the laundry machines in another building- I just wore my daughter and did laundry. It is still a very fond memory actually. I have no regrets! You will do fine!
@Love4leon

How often did you do it? How did you save cost? What was your washing method?

The washers/dryers in our building cost $1.75 a pop... 2ce a week almost $30 a month... Doing it more one more time is almost 45 a month (cost of disposables). And this is via 1 wash/1 dry... (without cold pre-rinse, extra rinse after)... I can do all the washing by hand, but I'm afraid that I cant squeeze the water out enough like a washer to get it to dry under one cycle...

I have to do some things by hand ... at least the cold pre-rinse... maybe wash with tide and pull it out after the wash cycle.

OR completely pre-rinse and wash by hand, run it thru the washer for extra rinse, and dry in the dryer...

I need help figuring this out...
Old 11-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller