Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'd call the company - that shouldn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DS broke my stovetop :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
I would see if it was under warranty

and I would not ask a 6yo to pay for a stove top he accidentally dropped a glass on....my 6yo would not be able to reach a glass in a cabinet on top of a stove....how did he even have a glass up high enough to drop and break a glass stove top?
The two older kids get out their own breakfast dishes. He uses a stool to get on the counter. It's next to the stove. After this incident and typing this reply...it would seem that this isn't the best idea, lol!

To the Mama who said check the warranty--believe me, we are! But I don't think they are going to cover it. It wasn't a manufactuer error or anything. We bought the extended warranty too, but I don't think it's going to cover it either.

And to the Mama who's dropped stuff on her glasstop stove that didn't break--I wish I was you!! It was a very thick drinking glass that he dropped, and it hit it at an angle. Surprisingly enough, the drinking glass is fine. I really, really wish the cup would have broken and not the stove!! DH checked on the stove part this morning and it is going to be a little over $300. Ouch.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
He is only six and it was an accident. I wouldn't make my kid pay for it. Now if he was throwing things and broke something that would be different.
I would agree with this unless you warned him plenty about it. My reason for making the child replace a window is because I told them not to do that because it could break a window. Then they would have to pay for his actions. If he didn't know, then it was just an accident. If he does it again, he pays.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim View Post
At 6, I wouldn't expect a kid to pay for any accidental breakage. A little too young, IMO. As they get older, I'd expect them to pitch in or pay for things broken during off limits activities like throwing a ball in the house, but not for an honest accident that anyone could have done.
I also agree.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 8yo and breaks fewer glasses than DH and I do. The only time I'd make a kid pay for something is if it was broken intentionally. IE, If they were throwing a baseball near a window when I told them not to.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't make him pay for it, it doesn't sound like he was misbehaving at all, more like it was just a bad combination of circumstances. DH broke ours a couple months ago, he set something on top of the fridge, then a few hours later opened the door and it flew off and landed on the stove and just shattered the top. Major bummer.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like something that could have happened to anyone. He didn't do it on purpose, so I would just fix it.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #18
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama*Kim
At 6, I wouldn't expect a kid to pay for any accidental breakage. A little too young, IMO. As they get older, I'd expect them to pitch in or pay for things broken during off limits activities like throwing a ball in the house, but not for an honest accident that anyone could have done.
This. How does a 6 year old earn money?
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
adjroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not make him pay for it, or make him worry about it at all. I would just get it fixed. It totally sucks that your stovetop is broken.
adjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #20
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have made my 6 yr old pay for something he broke while misbehaving. However, when something breaks purely by accident I have not made him pay for it. It was an accident. I know we make adults pay for accidents, but children need grace with this one so they have the opportunity to learn first.