Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I am on my second child that is a reluctant reader. I really like Phonics Pathways for us. It has worked wonders. The lessons are short but concise.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #32
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help

My oldest is 7 and still not reading fluently. He *can* do it. But he is slow and has to be helped a decent amount still. He isn't interested in reading. When I try to get him to practice more than just what we have to do for our curriculum, he complains. Today, I wanted him to reread the story we read for school yesterday. He had such a bad attitude about reading the "same thing again" that I had to give it up. Although, he isn't going to get away without reading it later this afternoon. I want him to read the same thing so he can practice fluency and the same sight words again. There is a method to my madness. But, maybe I'll pull out some BOB books instead of having him reread the same stuff again. My point is he isn't reading well (family thinks he can't read yet and is behind because he refuses to even read simple stuff. ) and he hates to practice. I'm trying hard not to push too much because I don't want him to hate or resent reading. But, I admit, I'm stressing over it a little. :/

Anyway, I would just keep trying. He is still "only" 6. I know it feels like he should be reading by now, but a lot of kids aren't, like mine.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #33
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

i am having trouble with my 6 year old daughter. she went to ps last year and i thought she was reading. turns out she was using the pictures and beginning letters of words to figure out the stories. she had memorized a few sight words too.
i started with 100 easy lessons but it was hard to figure out how to do it because she already knew some stuff. i found hooked on phonics for 1st grade at target, half price. i had her take the evaluation and realized she wasn't ready for it. so, i got the kindergarten level and now she is doing well. i also try to remind her to slow down, really look at the letters and sound them out. not just guess. she hasn't mastered it yet, but i think she is encouraged by seeing the progress she is making.
also, just my 2 cents, while it is hard to be patient, i wouldn't push. i think it's like potty training. they will do it when they are ready and they want to. my biggest worry is satisfying the state's requirements for homeschooling. i try to remember, as long as we are trying, there isn't too much they can do.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #34
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
The average age for learning to read is 8. So, don't stress, keep working at it, but take it slow, if that's what he needs. He will get it, I promise.
One of my friends has her master's degree in special education, and she had just mentioned recently that she learned in her classes that kids' brains really aren't designed to start reading until age 8. I know that's hard to believe because we're so used to our society's expectations that kids read earlier, but apparently this is what brain research shows. Interesting stuff!
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #35
oneduckstuck5
Registered Users

I wouldn't worry too much. I used to be a teacher and I now have 6 kids and they typically learn when their ready. I know that sounds like I'm oversimplifying, but that's how I see it. Oldest ds didn't really start reading until 8 or 9 (and he was my first so I did work with him more). My poor little ones are basically having to teach themselves, lol. No, I do work with them just not as much as I did with the older two. DD who is 6 is just starting to pick it up a little more fluently. It just has to click with them.

I would continue to work on letter sounds. I made up word families. For example, I would take the blend 'at' and put it on a card and than I would write different letters such as 'p', 'c', 'm', and have them slide the cards together to make a word. I stored different "families" in an envelope and they can just pull them out and work on it. I also like the program All About Spelling. Another really helpful thing is reading aloud to your child. Those are some things that have been helpful for us. And if he's really hating it, take a break and come back to it in a few weeks or so. I promise you won't ruin him if you do!

Mom to:
ds14, dd11, ds8, dd7, dd 2, & ds 1 (2nd reversal baby)' expecting #7 April 2014
oneduckstuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #36
TJR2119
Registered Users

My Mood:

I also agree with Hooked on Phonics! DS knew all of his letters and sounds, he just could not grasp the concept of blending them until he watched literally ONE video of HOP. Since then his reading has really taken off!
TJR2119 is offline   Reply With Quote