Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
hmurrant
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any unbiased opinions?

Thanks for the input! Sleep is one of those “hot button issues” with me and ds’ dad, so it’s hard for me to be objective sometimes and separate the once-in-a-while from the all-the-time. So I end up just getting the over-protective gene kicking into high gear anytime the issue comes up at all.
There is no court order or legal agreement - his dad came back on the scene a few years ago and we’ve been doing visiting arrangements by discussion, so I still feel like I’m the one who is ultimately responsible for the care of ds, even when he’s at his dad’s. As in, if his dad doesn’t make sure he sleeps enough, or puts down the remote, or does his homework, it’s me who’s at fault for not making sure that it happened.
I guess you’ve all helped point out that 1) one night of sleep won’t break the bank to get a fun experience and 2) I just need to let the single-parent die and let ds' dad take his own responsibility for his parenting actions, so I don’t overthink/overreact to the once in a while events (leave him to be responsible for his own ‘clean-up’ afterwards- ie. Trying to get a tired 6 year old back on track- instead of getting upset about it and worrying about having to do it myself)

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't make a big deal. We do stuff like that every once in awhile and the world doesn't end.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think
It's fine. He won't break.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

I would let him go. Not a school night and something special with dad seems like a good evening for him.
thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Let him go with his dad. Let his dad parent him. If the kid seems tired, hopefully dad will notice and leave, but either way, his choice. It is his weekend, after all.

I hope your kiddo has a blast. You still get to watch him perform, right? Very neat!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
megenic
Registered Users
seller

I would let him go but inside I would be dying a bit. Messing with sleep has always been one of my control freaky things and I have to try really hard to let it go sometimes. I would make a point of asking dad if he could make the next days bedtime a bit earlier though.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would let him go. It's his dad's night and so whether he was staying up for this or anything else he did with dad, it's fine.

plus you save an hour of gas and driving since he's going to come all the way to get him
Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It sounds like a pretty cool experience for a kid. I'd let him enjoy it as a special event with his dad.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #19
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Im a sleep nazi around here and i hate it when dd doesnt get enough sleep. Then its on me to deal with the consequences of the cranky. But dd us 1. At 6 i would let her go and not sweat 1 night.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #20
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Let him enjoy his special night!