Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you use flats/PF in grovia shell- do you really haveto change shell? UPDATE PG 2

okay for those that have been using flats/pf's in your grovia shells, do you have to change the shell each time as well? Because mesh gets pee and this would equal stink? That would get to be an expensive system.

The only reason I am considering these, is I have gone to flats and prefolds, instead of fitteds, and I am just a full time wool longies and shorties user, but we newborn breast fed poop, it is escaping onto wool and just getting to much to clean, plus our 13 month old. So I thought this would be something quick and easy and keep escapes at bay especially when on car trips. Can not take 4 outfits of wool with me. I never never thought I would even consider a pull cover again as I am very pro pro wool. But I need something easier to clean. And wanted trim between legs so it fits tight to keep leaks in. My kiddos are not big. Also then the pull is not directly touching. But if it needs changing with every change because it is wet. Well that just does not makes sense for it being a cover then?

Then does it not just because an AIO, really?

Please help. I need a good fit, and not to plasticy? We tend to get stink with syntheics in the past.

Love my Grovia pail liner, they do hold up.

And I need quality. Needs to last.

Thanks

Advertisement

Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)

Last edited by 7arrows4God; 11-14-2012 at 05:25 PM.
7arrows4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you use flats/PF in grovia shell- do you really haveto change shell? ouch?

Also would love action shots of little ones in their grovia shells, help me seeing the colors and patterns in action?

Any action shot of the cosmos in action?
Is it to light in color and stain easier.

Also does the breast poop still escape from the flats onto cover and cannot wipe?

Flip seems to wide and will stetch out to soon? More flimsy.
Canadian mama to 13 blessings ds(18), ds(17), ds(15.5), ds(13.5), dd(11.75), ds(10), ds(8.5), ds(6.5), dd(5.5), dd(3.5), dd(2.5) , ds(15 months) and #13 due end of AUGUST. And yes that is while nursing night and day. :O)
Old 11-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you use flats/PF in grovia shell- do you really haveto change shell? ouch?

I have an 11 month old who is still predominatly BF = not solid poo. I take out three covers per day, two to rotate between changes and one that will go into the basket as soon as he poos. I just rotate between the two for wet diapers and they do not get smelly. We use prefolds. GroVia is TPU as opposed to PUL. Love the covers.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

I use padfolded flats in Grovias and will reuse a cover until it gets poopy, which is sometimes once and sometimes 10 times, literally. It never ever smells, unless it gets used overnight and the wetness is against the mesh for 10-12 hours. The covers seem well made, comparable to Flips, but much much trimmer. I have had some for about a year and the elastic is getting a little loose but that has been my experience in virtually every cover I have ever tried, and I don't wash differently than others seem to, so I guess it is just me.

Yes, a big poop will get on the mesh if you padfold, but little poops don't because it is so trim that it holds the flat tight against the baby, if that makes sense. One downside to the trimness is that big poos, especially EBF poos, will "seep" around the cover between the legs. Which is incredibly annoying. But again, others don't seem to have that problem, just me. So take it with a grain of salt
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacat View Post
I have an 11 month old who is still predominatly BF = not solid poo. I take out three covers per day, two to rotate between changes and one that will go into the basket as soon as he poos. I just rotate between the two for wet diapers and they do not get smelly. We use prefolds. GroVia is TPU as opposed to PUL. Love the covers.
What is TPU?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
MomBecks
Registered Users

TPU refers to how the urethane is bonded to the polyester. TPU uses heat (thermo) whereas PULL uses a chemical solvent. They seem to be the same as far as wear goes IMO. Could you maybe invest in some fitteds for better poo containment? I love my GroVia covers with flats, but they do get poo on them. I'd go through about 4 a day which isn't bad
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
cajsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My grovia shells do hold pee smell after a few uses. You cannot wipe them clean after poos. What about capri size 1 covers? They are a quaility, wipe clean cover with gussets. The flaps keep most of the stick PUL away from baby's skin. They also come in cute prints. The only downside is they are 2 size instead of 1..and hard to find in Canada still. I purchased mine from Kissed by the Moon.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

I use the shells and padfolded flats some, and I can rotate through the same two covers for two days before they smell at all like pee.

My dd is 14 months and I haven't had poop get on a Grovia shell since I started using them in July.

If I want to use them again and I feel like they need a wash first I toss them in with whatever I am washing or wash them in the sink quickly. They dry in under an hour outside.

I think it would be a great full time system. I feel like if that's all I used I could get away with 4-5 covers and be fine.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
7arrows4God
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajsmommy View Post
My grovia shells do hold pee smell after a few uses. You cannot wipe them clean after poos. What about capri size 1 covers? They are a quaility, wipe clean cover with gussets. The flaps keep most of the stick PUL away from baby's skin. They also come in cute prints. The only downside is they are 2 size instead of 1..and hard to find in Canada still. I purchased mine from Kissed by the Moon.
Do you have a link, I can't find it on her site.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #10
QHoneyB
Registered Users
seller

I am using Grovia shells with flats/prefolds trifolded in them for my almost 7 week old. If she has a big poop it will escape the trifold and I have to wash the cover, but for smaller poops I can reuse it. I change her often, so I never have the cover smelling like pee. I can use the same cover all day if poo doesn't get on it.

I also have Capri covers. I like them, but I feel like the Grovia are more gentle and I like the hook/loop on the Grovia better. Either one will leak poo onto the cover if it's a big one and cannot just be wiped out