Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
KatesCakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Placenta Previa C-section

So, I just had my 20 week ultrasound and the tech and doctor said I have full placenta previa. I had a partial one with my last pregnancy and it moved...but I am pretty sure it will not cooperate like that this time.

I have had two vaginal deliveries prior to this pregnancy, so I know what that's all about. One w/epidural and the last one all natural.

I would just like some advice or any tips from all of you mamas who have gone through this. I am very nervous and don't know what to expect...so any words will help.

Thank you in advance, this is the best website for mamas!

Updated info:

I had my 28 week ultrasound two weeks ago and it moved!!!!! It is still only 2cm away from the cervix, so they'll do another ultrasound in 2 more weeks to check it.
I am just thrilled I don't have to have a c-section! Thank you to all the mamas who supported me and helped me be more confident!!

Advertisement

Kate~SAHM to my two boys Elliot 2/19/09 and Alec 11/2/10 Expecting #3 Oct 12

Last edited by KatesCakes; 08-03-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: update
KatesCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ds1 was a cs due to previa. He ended up being born early bc of complications with the fluid level and his growth rate. We had planned to do the section at 37 weeks bc the drs didn't want me to go into labor. I was also put on pelvic rest for the 3rd trimester.

I think it was easy to mentally prepare for the cs since I knew ahead of time, also he was my first so I didn't know any different. And the risks of vaginal delivery are soooo high...

The surgery itself was no big deal. Dh held my hand the whole time until he had to follow ds to the nicu. I will say it's a really weird feeling to be awake during surgery. You can feel them tugging on you but it doesn't hurt. Recovery sucks a lot though, take the pain meds. I'd say I felt mostly back to normal after 3 weeks. If you have little ones I recommend getting some help. You don't need to be lifting them.

Anyway I hope some of what I said helps you. I'm happy to answer any questions.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
KatesCakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Placenta Previa C-section

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyria2 View Post
Ds1 was a cs due to previa. He ended up being born early bc of complications with the fluid level and his growth rate. We had planned to do the section at 37 weeks bc the drs didn't want me to go into labor. I was also put on pelvic rest for the 3rd trimester.

I think it was easy to mentally prepare for the cs since I knew ahead of time, also he was my first so I didn't know any different. And the risks of vaginal delivery are soooo high...

The surgery itself was no big deal. Dh held my hand the whole time until he had to follow ds to the nicu. I will say it's a really weird feeling to be awake during surgery. You can feel them tugging on you but it doesn't hurt. Recovery sucks a lot though, take the pain meds. I'd say I felt mostly back to normal after 3 weeks. If you have little ones I recommend getting some help. You don't need to be lifting them.

Anyway I hope some of what I said helps you. I'm happy to answer any questions.
Thank you, this does help! I think it makes it hard for me b/c I had 2 vaginal deliveries prior to this and I would love to do it again.
I think I'm most worried about the recovery from what I've read in my 'What to expect when you're expecting' book. Luckily my parents live in town and will be here during my 37th week and for a couple weeks after, and then after that my mother in law can visit and help.
I will take the pain meds, it sounds pretty painfull post-op, and it doesn't sounds like I should worry about them effecting my milk/colostrum.
Thank you for the advice! I will just keep reading up and planning.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's definitely still a good chance that it could move; the uterus still has a lot of growing to do. Is there a reason that you think that it won't move this time?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've only had c-sections so here is my point of view. You will be without your DH while you get the spinal/epi for surgery and the catheter put in. Then your DH will come in and be by your side. I had the anesthesiologist stay by my head and talk with me since I needed the distraction since surgery freaks me out. Baby is out pretty quickly, you will get to see him/her and your DH will be holding the baby within minutes. You will feel tugging and pulling, but nothing painful. Take the pain meds as the time allows (every 4hrs I believe for what I was taking) and with the nurses/family help get try and get up and stand then walk by 24hrs pp. The catheter will stay in until that point (removal never hurt me). The nurses had me do things like squeeze a pillow, turn my head and cough about every couple hours, so I did it. It wasn't painless, but they said it would help me in the long run. Remember to take the stool softeners in the hospital and days after when you are at home. I forgot this and that first stool was very, very, very painful!!! Also, have help at least for the first 2wks pp when you are at home. You are not suppost to lift anything more than your newborn so you will need help with your other LOs. I had a hard time laying flat on my back those first few weeks because it was still painful to use my stomach muscles to get up so I lived in a recliner so having that option might be nice. Keep your c-section area dry as possible. When you shower, pat dry and use gauze if you have a little belly flap that goes over the incision. If it gets wet it will smell, but that does not always mean an infection! Just have your DH or close family member look at it for you (or use a mirror) to make sure it hasn't opened up. My staples came out before I left the hospital, but I kept the butterfly bandages on until my 2wks pp appt. and my obgyn took them off (although she said I could have done that eariler). I would make sure you know what type of closure you will have before surgery (staples vs. glue vs. whatever else there is out there). Have big panties that go over the incision for the weeks after your surgery and have comfy pants/shorts/dresses as well. That is all I can think of right now...I pray if you do end up with a c-section you have a positive experience and painless recovery!!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
There's definitely still a good chance that it could move; the uterus still has a lot of growing to do. Is there a reason that you think that it won't move this time?
I'm curious why you are so sure it won't move? I was told by my MW that a good percentage of 20 wk u/s show previa- but most move away in plenty of time! I had a full previa with my last pg, and it moved completely by 28 weeks or so I think- I still had a c/s (for other reasons) and they were expecting to have to cut through placenta- turns out it had moved so far it wasn't necessary!

As far as recovery, I've had 3 c/s, my advice if you do need one- stay on top of the pain meds even if you don't think you need it. Go VERY slowly with food- ice chips, not too much- if you start to feel even the slightest bit sick call for anti neasea meds! When they give you solids, don't eat a lot until you know your bowels are moving. Get up and move around!!

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did not have a c/s but with my last lo I had full previa at my 18 wk. apt. that moved totally out of the way by the time I had a 30 wk. ultrasound to check it. My midwife said that it moves something like 90+% off the time
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
KatesCakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovinmama3 View Post
I've only had c-sections so here is my point of view. You will be without your DH while you get the spinal/epi for surgery and the catheter put in. Then your DH will come in and be by your side. I had the anesthesiologist stay by my head and talk with me since I needed the distraction since surgery freaks me out. Baby is out pretty quickly, you will get to see him/her and your DH will be holding the baby within minutes. You will feel tugging and pulling, but nothing painful. Take the pain meds as the time allows (every 4hrs I believe for what I was taking) and with the nurses/family help get try and get up and stand then walk by 24hrs pp. The catheter will stay in until that point (removal never hurt me). The nurses had me do things like squeeze a pillow, turn my head and cough about every couple hours, so I did it. It wasn't painless, but they said it would help me in the long run. Remember to take the stool softeners in the hospital and days after when you are at home. I forgot this and that first stool was very, very, very painful!!! Also, have help at least for the first 2wks pp when you are at home. You are not suppost to lift anything more than your newborn so you will need help with your other LOs. I had a hard time laying flat on my back those first few weeks because it was still painful to use my stomach muscles to get up so I lived in a recliner so having that option might be nice. Keep your c-section area dry as possible. When you shower, pat dry and use gauze if you have a little belly flap that goes over the incision. If it gets wet it will smell, but that does not always mean an infection! Just have your DH or close family member look at it for you (or use a mirror) to make sure it hasn't opened up. My staples came out before I left the hospital, but I kept the butterfly bandages on until my 2wks pp appt. and my obgyn took them off (although she said I could have done that eariler). I would make sure you know what type of closure you will have before surgery (staples vs. glue vs. whatever else there is out there). Have big panties that go over the incision for the weeks after your surgery and have comfy pants/shorts/dresses as well. That is all I can think of right now...I pray if you do end up with a c-section you have a positive experience and painless recovery!!
WOW, thank you so much for ALL the advice! I will refer to this a lot.
Hey- I sold you some trainers, hope they are working out for you and potty training is going good!

Last edited by KatesCakes; 05-31-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: adding
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
KatesCakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post

I don't know, maybe it's because when I had it with my last pregnancy it was only partial. And this time, it's fully over the cervix. And my doc. (diff. from last) didn't seem to sure it would move....not sure if I like her.
I guess it is good that I'm researching more about c-sections, that way if I have one, I am more prepared.
I do hope it moves, but like I said, the doc. wasn't very reasuring.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
tmwmommy
Registered Users
seller

I had complete placenta previa with my first pregnancy at 17 weeks. We rechecked it at about 23 weeks and it was completely out of the way. I was cleared for a vaginal birth but other unrelated complications arose and I had a c-section. The c-section recovery wasn't horrible for me but I do recommend arranging for as much help around the house as possible because you likely will not be feeling up to doing much for the first few weeks.
tmwmommy is offline   Reply With Quote