Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #21
Registered Users
Re: Stealing her infancy...a worried momma

Mine are 21 months apart and I was SOOOOO worried about how the new arrival would impact DS. It turned out fine. Before DD was born, we started switching up our routine (I used the "I need to go check on ____. I'll be back to check on you" line from the No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers) to get DS used to me not being there constantly at bed time. After DD was born, I think DS was just excited because I let him watch more shows (a whole movie at a time, even) while I took care of little sis. We were still able to continue to nap together (all of us) and now they play together just fine most of the time.

Swagbucks is FUN!
aaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Stealing her infancy...a worried momma

Originally Posted by cdeweese View Post
My kids are just under 12 months apart. My DD LOVES her brother! She can't remember a time when he wasn't here. They are each others best friends (they even sit in time out w/ each other ). She had to adjust, but the baby is the priority in the beginning (food/changing wise). My DD wasn't even walking when DS was born and tried to help take care of him. In short, they'll figure it out. There will be times when she doesn't get what she wants right away and gets upset, but that's life. She'll still be a happy little girl with a sibling to love and care for
My first 2 are 13 months apart, and this has been exactly my experience. My oldest doesn't remember being an only child, so there has never been any jealously, or feeling of "losing" anything, since all he has known is what it's like to have a brother. And he loves it.

I was still nursing my oldest when my second was born, so they really bonded over tandem nursing. Basically, they got to be babies together, but my toddler also got to do special big brother things like bring me diapers or bounce the baby in his bouncer while I cooked dinner.

I was totally freaked out to find out I was pregnant when I still had a baby who couldn't even sit up yet, but it worked out so well in the end. It may not have been the way we planned it, but this plan was so much better than what we had in mind.

My kids do the sitting in time out thing together too, they hate to be apart, almost like what I experienced with my twin brothers. They've been together doing things with each other as long as they can remember.
Hi I'm Sara mommy to 4 little Mischief Makers
SaraElise is offline   Reply With Quote