Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Frogmama
I sell Great Baby Carriers!:)
Formerly: tlfoster15
sitesupporter
seller

Re: How long to "froggy" a newborn?

I haven't heard of any recommendations changing about legs froggied- Just curious where you heard that? I checked with a few other babywearing vendors and they hadn't heard either...

Advertisement

Frogmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmama View Post
I haven't heard of any recommendations changing about legs froggied- Just curious where you heard that? I checked with a few other babywearing vendors and they hadn't heard either...
i guess i'm no real expert on this, but i've seen it discussed a fair amount on tbw. that's where i got my info from.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
Heather1583
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambelina
I think the new recommendation is legs out from birth or just make sure no pressure is on the legs and feet. My ds likes to be froggied. He's 4 weeks (tomorrow. YIkes!) I have seen other mamas roll up a receiving blanket and use it under the bum for more support. Maybe if you did that he wouldn't be able to push as much? I don't know. I just feel weird stretching little babies out at this point. But, if that's what he wants then I guess you have to honor that.
I used to do the receiving blanket too, or roll my MT waistband up once to make the body shorter. I've seen moms froggy just one leg and leave the other out, and I think the recommendations are still the same. I recall reading to make sure the pressure was on the bum and not the feet all along, and I've worn all 3 of my kids. I froggied them til I could get their legs to seem comfortable around my waist. Never had an issue.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just from an anthropological standpoint, I don't see why the "recommendations" would change much? I just try to wear my babies in a safe, secure way that seems comfortable to both of us. I have african friends who wear their newborns on their backs with their legs wrapped in.
But I'd really like to learn more about the evidence for not froggying the legs, since I sell mai tai carriers and I'd really like to have the correct information.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

i know i keep coming back to this but my understanding wasn't that it's recommended to NOT froggy now. froggying is still considered good, i've just been told that it's "ok" to do legs out, whereas before i always had the impression that you "had" to froggy until a certain point. i don't have any research or anything since i didn't pay attention from the begining to the froggying recommendations and i just did what was most comfortable for me and my babies. i didn't weigh in on these types of threads before because i felt like i wasn't doing the "recommended" practice (kind of like how my baby sleeps on her tummy so i don't comment on threads about people having trouble keeping their babies asleep on their backs......i know what my solution was and that i feel comfortable with my decision, but since it's not recommended i'm not going to tell other people to do it ) but when i started seeing other people (mainly on tbw, but not just one person and not just one incidence) saying that it was ok to leave legs out at birth, i felt it was ok to share what worked for me.

i've never seen anyone say that froggying is bad or not recommended.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote