Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
RunawayBunny's Avatar
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,161
ultrasound scheduled

My 20 week ultrasound was scheduled today for dec 3 (21 weeks). I totally misunderstood stood him at my last appt and thought it would be done much earlier. I am pretty bummed. I am still feeling pretty detached from this baby and was really looking forward to it. Plus i was totally bummed that they wouldnt let me video tape the last few shots for ds (i mean i totally get it but i was hoping).

So I told my mom who called back an hour later saying she found a ultrasound center that does 3/4D US. DH said no 3/4D (he thinks they are creepy), but they offer a 2d package for cheap and my mom wants to gift it to us. We could skype with dh and everything. So I was psyched!

Then I glanced at a link they had talking about the safety aspect. So I am totally for the anatomy scan at 20 weeks, but i figured I should really do my own research about the safety. As it turns out those ultrasound centers are banned by the fda and operating illegally. Any ultrasound without a prescription is illegal, they just havent been prosecuting them. But all the articles i read talked about 3/4d elective ultrasounds, not elective 2d.

So now I am even more bummed. This babe has already had 6 ultrasounds from my fertility care. What to do! Anyone want to talk me in or out of the elective, 2d us next week?

Advertisement

__________________
Meg, Momma to Joey (Feb 2010)
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,975
I know it's hard, but I would wait. If these people aren't regulated you may get bad info from them, KWIM?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
canadianbakers's Avatar
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 9,221
My Mood:
Re: ultrasound scheduled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
My 20 week ultrasound was scheduled today for dec 3 (21 weeks). I totally misunderstood stood him at my last appt and thought it would be done much earlier. I am pretty bummed. I am still feeling pretty detached from this baby and was really looking forward to it. Plus i was totally bummed that they wouldnt let me video tape the last few shots for ds (i mean i totally get it but i was hoping).

So I told my mom who called back an hour later saying she found a ultrasound center that does 3/4D US. DH said no 3/4D (he thinks they are creepy), but they offer a 2d package for cheap and my mom wants to gift it to us. We could skype with dh and everything. So I was psyched!

Then I glanced at a link they had talking about the safety aspect. So I am totally for the anatomy scan at 20 weeks, but i figured I should really do my own research about the safety. As it turns out those ultrasound centers are banned by the fda and operating illegally. Any ultrasound without a prescription is illegal, they just havent been prosecuting them. But all the articles i read talked about 3/4d elective ultrasounds, not elective 2d.

So now I am even more bummed. This babe has already had 6 ultrasounds from my fertility care. What to do! Anyone want to talk me in or out of the elective, 2d us next week?
Well, I'm going to end up waiting until then (or very near) for u/s, so I'm all for just waiting.
But, I understand wanting to share it at least with DH if not other family... so I might go for the 2d earlier just for fun.
What, exactly, are they saying is wrong with those ones? Are they saying there's a danger to the baby, or just that there may be misinformation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I know it's hard, but I would wait. If these people aren't regulated you may get bad info from them, KWIM?
Do they usually give any information at those places? Like, are they supposed to be diagnostic scans?
I always assumed they were just for fun, just looking at baby and watching them on the screen, finding out gender if desired - but no anomalies looked for/at.
__________________
~Elena~
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
L J's Avatar
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 10,263
Ddc crashing.

I used an independent place (in Montgomery) for my first two. It was no different than an u/s in a doctors office. Same equipment and such.

They just don't have a dr on staff so they can't tell you if anything is wrong and such. They do ask for your drs info at the beginning and I am sure it is to forward them anything they find strange.

Of course, I think you should go for it.
__________________
Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07; Catherine 09.01.11
always missing Jack, 08.23.10
& newest addition Audrey, 04.15.14

Last edited by L J; 11-07-2012 at 07:07 PM.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
melilo's Avatar
melilo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 680
My Mood:
I would just wait. It sucks that he won't see it, but I wouldn't want the extra radiation on my babe. I know it would probably not hurt, but if you hadn't had the early ones I might feel differently. I don't believe that there is a set safe amount of ultrasound radiation that a fetus can be exposed to. Like alcohol, something that would be pretty unethical to study properly. So to me, the least amount is best.

Look at it as an early Christmas present... Most ppl get theirs around 20 weeks so it's not like you are waiting an unusual amount of time. I totally get needing to bond with your babe, I kind of have similar feelings and hope seeing him/her will help. I haven't seem babe at all and have to wait 20 weeks. You got to see the little gummy bear stage, cherish that.
__________________
The world would be so boring if everyone were the same...

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
RunawayBunny's Avatar
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,161
Re: ultrasound scheduled

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
What, exactly, are they saying is wrong with those ones? Are they saying there's a danger to the baby, or just that there may be misinformation?


Do they usually give any information at those places? Like, are they supposed to be diagnostic scans?
I always assumed they were just for fun, just looking at baby and watching them on the screen, finding out gender if desired - but no anomalies looked for/at.
The FDA thinks there are potential risks and therfore elective ultrasounds are not worth the risk, but medical ultrasounds are worth the risk (basically). Here's the FDA's link: http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandProcedures/MedicalImaging/ucm115357.htm

I read that in the 90's the FDA closed a bunch of the 3/4D ultrasound centers and made it illegal to have one done without a prescription. So they got around it by attaching to OB offices. My last OB office had a 3/4D ultrasound machine/room for $150 after you had your diagnostic US. I am not sure where the current law stands (I think it varies state to state). Its frustrating to me. They should either be outlawed or be ok, but having them in doctor's offices for "fun" gives mixed signals.

They are NOT supposed to give medical advice, but that's one of the debates. So one of these elective techs sees something wrong and says, "I think you need to go to the ER or to your doc, asap", but it was nothing. Or the mom doesn't get any bad news and thinks everything is fine when it is not ("because certainly the tech would have told me to get to a doc if she saw something"). It's the same reason the FDA recommends against home dopplers. Hearing the heart beat gives a false sense of security or not catching it gives undo stress. Certainly if I had one done I would use the same grain of salt I did with my doppler (which I dont' even have anymore).

Not sure what I will do yet, but DH was crazy (excited) when I told him about it...
__________________
Meg, Momma to Joey (Feb 2010)
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,975
Re: ultrasound scheduled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
The FDA thinks there are potential risks and therfore elective ultrasounds are not worth the risk, but medical ultrasounds are worth the risk (basically). Here's the FDA's link: http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandProcedures/MedicalImaging/ucm115357.htm

I read that in the 90's the FDA closed a bunch of the 3/4D ultrasound centers and made it illegal to have one done without a prescription. So they got around it by attaching to OB offices. My last OB office had a 3/4D ultrasound machine/room for $150 after you had your diagnostic US. I am not sure where the current law stands (I think it varies state to state). Its frustrating to me. They should either be outlawed or be ok, but having them in doctor's offices for "fun" gives mixed signals.

They are NOT supposed to give medical advice, but that's one of the debates. So one of these elective techs sees something wrong and says, "I think you need to go to the ER or to your doc, asap", but it was nothing. Or the mom doesn't get any bad news and thinks everything is fine when it is not ("because certainly the tech would have told me to get to a doc if she saw something"). It's the same reason the FDA recommends against home dopplers. Hearing the heart beat gives a false sense of security or not catching it gives undo stress. Certainly if I had one done I would use the same grain of salt I did with my doppler (which I dont' even have anymore).

Not sure what I will do yet, but DH was crazy (excited) when I told him about it...
All good points. Especially since you're wanting reassurance, I don't think you'll get it from a place that can't give you real medical advice if necessary that is accurate. Every place I go has a doc there to come in if there are problems.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
KelseyH's Avatar
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,233
I had one ultrasound at 7w4d for dating purposes since it was my first PP ovulation and I had no previous cycles to go off of to date the baby myself. We are not having any further ultrasounds unless there is something to indicate that there is a serious problem (excessive bleeding/hemorrhaging, no growth over several weeks, etc.).

US has been *definitely* linked to sinistrality, IUGR, and probably to autism, dsylexia, miscarriage, and preterm labor, among other issues. I have lots of info and studies on the subject if you are interested!

I would definitely be cautious about *any* more ultrasounds, especially since you have already had six. (That is often the "high" exposure threshold used in studies to determine the detrimental effects of ultrasound). Ultimately, you have to make the decision that is right for you and baby - and that takes into account your stress level (from not seeing the baby or worrying about xyz) and the level of risk you are comfortable with.

If I were you, after already having had so many ultrasounds, I would just have the doctor measure baby from the outside, since that is a better indicator of growth anyway, unless there is some specific issue you are expecting to deal with that you need to be prepared for at delivery (severe heart defect needing operation, etc). For *my* personal comfort level, there is too much risk, the potential for too much damage, as well as too many false diagnoses that U/S offers for it to be a worthy procedure for me to undergo. Please don't take that the wrong way. If it is what you want, go for it! That's just what I would (er... would not) do.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
canadianbakers's Avatar
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 9,221
My Mood:
Re: ultrasound scheduled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
Its frustrating to me. They should either be outlawed or be ok, but having them in doctor's offices for "fun" gives mixed signals.

Not sure what I will do yet, but DH was crazy (excited) when I told him about it...
I agree - it's dumb that they allow OBs to use them if they're so dangerous. Definitely mixed messages.
I wonder how much a part of that decision the OBs were themselves - more $$ for them if things are set up this way.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
__________________
~Elena~
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange's Avatar
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mountain Home, ID
Posts: 7,418
My Mood:
Re: ultrasound scheduled

I would avoid it. Normally, I'd say 'go ahead and have fun' but with already 6 ultrasounds? that's a lot to me.

I'm one of those paranoid folks though.

A friend of mine gets every one she can get. All the extra testing just to get them, other things that are necessary for her (echocardiogram or something)... but.. she's only had 3 so far and she's at 22 weeks, so that's not TOO TOO many.
__________________
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.