Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ultrasound scheduled

What about the offices/countries where it is normal to get an u/s at every prenatal? That would be a heck of a lot more than 6 scans for the pregnancy.
Do they show higher incidences of the things that u/s supposedly causes?

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers
What about the offices/countries where it is normal to get an u/s at every prenatal? That would be a heck of a lot more than 6 scans for the pregnancy.
Do they show higher incidences of the things that u/s supposedly causes?
I've never heard of this except for high risk pregnancy...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I've never heard of this except for high risk pregnancy...
I have heard of it from some mamas in the US, and it's the norm in... I want to say Germany... but I could be wrong. I know there are some countries where it is the norm, though.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
andrea020611
Registered Users

Quote:

I have heard of it from some mamas in the US, and it's the norm in... I want to say Germany... but I could be wrong. I know there are some countries where it is the norm, though.
One if my friends who sees an OB here in Ontario is offered an ultrasound every visit. They have their own machine and take a quick look to make sure all is well.

My midwife doesn't have a machine and I've never seen an OB, so I don't know if her experience is normal.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

well, I only see the doctor once a month, so if I got an US every visit, that would still just be 9 (plus more if you go every week after 36 weeks).

so, still 8 ultrasounds by 22 weeks sounds like a lot. I mean, not excessive - it'd only be about 2 more than the 'average'.

now I see a doctor every 6 weeks, so for me, it'd be even fewer than 9. But, in reality, I get just 2.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Interesting. I had a LOT my 1st pregnancy, but we were very high risk. I wouldn't want one every visit though.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #17
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra

All good points. Especially since you're wanting reassurance, I don't think you'll get it from a place that can't give you real medical advice if necessary that is accurate. Every place I go has a doc there to come in if there are problems.
Not looking for reassurance so much.. like I said I would treat it like a doppler, with a grain of salt. I am more looking for that... aha! moment. I had a hard time connecting with Joey, but the 20 week us did help. Everyone told me I just had to wait til he was born, but I still just couldn't connect. I had very bad ppd. I wasnt depressed but I had severe attachment issues with him. It was bad. And I am at high risk for it to happen again. So thats part of it.

The other part is that dh has yet to see this baby. He heard the doppler once, but couldn't come to any of my appts. Do he is going to come home from a deployment, have to move his family back home, prepare to move us to a new state, have a three year old who will most likely not let him help do anything related to his care, and a newborn he has never met in any way.

This is getting long but I am just kinda thinking out loud.

Quote:

I agree - it's dumb that they allow OBs to use them if they're so dangerous. Definitely mixed messages.
I wonder how much a part of that decision the OBs were themselves - more $$ for them if things are set up this way.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Thank you! Thats why i posted here with a vague title instead of the main forum. I knew everyone in our ddc (plus Laura - she knows I love her opinion!) would be happy to hear how it went if i decided to go or let me vent if i dont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I would avoid it. Normally, I'd say 'go ahead and have fun' but with already 6 ultrasounds? that's a lot to me.

I'm one of those paranoid folks though.

A friend of mine gets every one she can get. All the extra testing just to get them, other things that are necessary for her (echocardiogram or something)... but.. she's only had 3 so far and she's at 22 weeks, so that's not TOO TOO many.
So the first two were preconception (follicles). They all lasted less than two minutes except the first which was about five (measuring all my follicles). Funny thing is, i have turned down 2 more! My current ob offered another dating us and genetic testing one.

Quote:

Yeap, Germany. A good friend just moved from there. She was so disappointed to learn they didnt do them like that here!
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea020611 View Post
One if my friends who sees an OB here in Ontario is offered an ultrasound every visit. They have their own machine and take a quick look to make sure all is well.

My midwife doesn't have a machine and I've never seen an OB, so I don't know if her experience is normal.
My first OB did his own u/s, but the machine was over at the hospital not in office. We did have a few u/s with that pregnancy - hmm... I think 3, maybe 4, with my OB and then a quick one (with a not-so-high-tech, handheld u/s) when I had preterm labor.

The OBs here only have u/s equipment at the hospital, and we definitely don't get them at each appt. With Levi I ended up with 2 - the 20wk one, and then one done at 41+2 just to check everything with being overdue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
well, I only see the doctor once a month, so if I got an US every visit, that would still just be 9 (plus more if you go every week after 36 weeks).

so, still 8 ultrasounds by 22 weeks sounds like a lot. I mean, not excessive - it'd only be about 2 more than the 'average'.

now I see a doctor every 6 weeks, so for me, it'd be even fewer than 9. But, in reality, I get just 2.
Normal appt schedule is once every 4 weeks until 26wks, usually starting at, say, 6-8 weeks. Then every 2 weeks until 36 weeks, then every week until birth.
That would end up being... 5-6 (depending on when appts started and would possibly be another if needed for the anatomy scan) + 5 + 3 (assuming baby was born between 39-40 weeks) = 13-14.
Although I don't know what the appt schedule is like where the norm is u/s with each appt.

At any rate, it would end up being more than 6, and if that's the high range for safety, in order for the arguments about danger to the baby and u/s causing those things to stand, those countries/office/babies would have to show a higher incidence of those issues.

Not arguing here. Just thinking out loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
Not looking for reassurance so much.. like I said I would treat it like a doppler, with a grain of salt. I am more looking for that... aha! moment. I had a hard time connecting with Joey, but the 20 week us did help. Everyone told me I just had to wait til he was born, but I still just couldn't connect. I had very bad ppd. I wasnt depressed but I had severe attachment issues with him. It was bad. And I am at high risk for it to happen again. So thats part of it.

Thank you! Thats why i posted here with a vague title instead of the main forum. I knew everyone in our ddc (plus Laura - she knows I love her opinion!) would be happy to hear how it went if i decided to go or let me vent if i dont.

Yeap, Germany. A good friend just moved from there. She was so disappointed to learn they didnt do them like that here!
I TOTALLY understand the attachment issues. Especially with this pregnancy/baby. I have moments where I feel kinda attached, but for the most part I feel like an outside - I'm keeping my distance (yes, that sounds silly when it's in my body) so that I don't get as hurt when things go wrong. I should say if... but I can't yet.
I think my u/s may help with this. But I won't know until I'm at that point, kwim?
And no worries about posting here, or anywhere really - it's your body, your pregnancy, your baby - your choice. Asking about the possible risks/benefits is necessary to make the best, informed decision for you and your family. And only you can do that

I thought it was Germany, for some reason. I think there was a mama in or from (having had been pregnant there) Germany in my DDC with Levi.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Interesting. I really had no idea We were thinking about doing an elective u/s so the kids could be there. I've had 2 so far, 1 for dating and other because we couldn't find the heartbeat. I guess its something to think about