Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Detailed and thorough kindergarten curriculum

I too would choose ABeka. It is laid out well and covers everything you have listed. If your child makes it though the whole year, he/she will be reading quite well!

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with most all the pps. We use MFW and absolutely love it for our family. It's a great fit for us. But there is 0% possibility my kids will go to school next year. We can take things at our own pace and leave time for the fun stuff and not worry too much. If I thought they might go to school next year, I would be more concerned with keeping the same level as PS. Abecka would definatly fit the bill. It's a lot more sit down worksheetish type, and my kids would not enjoy it the way they do MFW, but it is very thorough Christian based program. It's what our local Christian school uses. Your only problem there would be that your LO may surpass his peers if he goes to public school next year.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I agree with most all the pps. We use MFW and absolutely love it for our family. It's a great fit for us. But there is 0% possibility my kids will go to school next year. We can take things at our own pace and leave time for the fun stuff and not worry too much. If I thought they might go to school next year, I would be more concerned with keeping the same level as PS. Abecka would definatly fit the bill. It's a lot more sit down worksheetish type, and my kids would not enjoy it the way they do MFW, but it is very thorough Christian based program. It's what our local Christian school uses. Your only problem there would be that your LO may surpass his peers if he goes to public school next year.
Good point! A Beka is advanced and a very strong program. He very well may be above his peers if he uses it.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #14
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

It isn't a complete curriculum but you can buy all the pieces separately but we love McRuffy. We started with the kindergarten math and it is so easily laid out. It tells me what to do each day and even scripts of what I should say if I choose to use the scripts. We just started the 1st grade phonics and love it as well. I think it is challenging but not overly so and my daughter does well with the spiral math approach.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

We used explode the code and hooked on phonics for k reading then did Bob book readers for three months after that and my dd was very advanced for reading. She was about 6 months ahead of 1st grade here in the FL public school system which is pretty poor after K. She was accepted into a very advanced private school for 1 st grade and they said she tested great for that grade and has done superb in it so far, all A's. For math I used cuisinaire rod work and followed the Miquon Math curriculum and basic workbooks and did FIAR and unit studies of what she liked like ocean animals, etc. We played tons of card and dice games and did puzzles, tangrams, and geoboards and crafts and field trips. I read library books to her and did the Rod and Staff bible coloring book guide. We had a lot of fun and took it very slow and easy. I couldn't believe she placed so high when tested. I thought she'd do poorly because I felt we did so little work but the work we did do must have sunk in. That's why I support taking it slow and making it fun and interesting! Especially at that age. She didn't do well in writing or reading in the beginning so I just didn't do it for awhile and tried later, then it was easy for her. You have to make sure they are cognitively ready. Anyway, have a fun year and follow her interests. You'll be surprised at how well it all works out. I hear rave reviews for SING , WRITE, READ AND SPELL if that's the right name. The school we are in use it for K and the kids are very advanced. They use Abeka after that and it is very rigorous. It wears me out even! It works well though and my daughter can read almost anything now at age 6! Good luck finding your niche!