View Poll Results: Do you offer your nanny paid days off?
Yes 11 68.75%
No 4 25.00%
What's a paid day off? 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Do you offer your nanny paid days off?

And if so, how many?

If not, what do you do around the holidays when you need to cut their hours temporarily?

Advertisement

Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
mysticmomma1879
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was paid half for any day I was scheduled but they didn't need me.
mysticmomma1879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
PBPMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you offer your nanny paid days off?

I am not sure if this counts but my mom keeps my son for me. She quit a job to be available to keep him. She also has my nephew. I pay her a set amount each month and don't reduce the amount for the days when I am home with him. I have five weeks vacation, twelve paid holidays, two personal days and 10 sick days. I think she deserves paid time off too. I doubt I would do anything differently if it were a nanny instead. If I am entrusting them with the care of my child, I believe I should take care of them.
PBPMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
seacat
Registered Users
seller

We pay our nanny for every holiday, she gets two weeks paid vacation a year, we also pay a week of sick and if she is scheduled, but we don't need her she still gets paid. We guarantee 40 hours a week.

Basically we give her all our money.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Our nanny gets paid sick days, but not paid vacations or holidays. Its the exact same as the time off from my job in the public schools and I'm a professional with a master's degree. We explained the policy to her when she was hired and wrote it in her contract, so that she wouldn't be surprised when it happened.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have it set up as salary, so she is paid the same amount every month. If she is sick or there are holidays, we don't reduce her pay. We share our nanny with another family and both of us have one parent teaching in public schools, so our nanny gets two weeks at Christmas, spring break, Feb break all paid. For the summer we use her two days a week and pay 50% for the month of July (June and August are partially part time but we pay her full salary). Our nanny has kids in school and appreciates the time off. We appreciate her flexibility and the love she shows our kids.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #7
doodah
Registered Users
seller

I think you have a wonderful setup. You get what you pay for when it comes to childcare workers. If you are willing to provide some benefits, you are more likely to find and keep a long term quality nanny. I think some paid vacation is very common for quality childcare. I dont have a nanny but I am a childcare provider. I do offer quality care and part of my policies includes two weeks paid vacation plus paid holidays. I find that the parents willing to pay those extra are the ones that value me and my services, which is the foundation of a good working relationship.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Haleybailey
Registered Users
seller

I get 2 weeks PTO plus the 8 federal holidays. I am also gaurunteed 30 hrs/wk. For me it's important to have sick days because a lot of the times if I was sick I had to come in because I couldn't afford to not work. Than that unfortunately leads to a sick baby and sometimes parents! I am rarely sick, but mostly it's about feeling appreciated and realizing that I depend on my paycheck to support my family!
Hi I'm Haley, wife to Joel. TTC #1 With PCOS. Going through acupunctureand clomid to build our family! Cloth diapering, tandem baby wearing and signing Nanny to baby D & M (Sept 2012)
Haleybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Two weeks at Christmas, a few days at spring break, all stat holidays, and when we are away during the summer. ETA... If we don't need her for the day, we still pay.

Last edited by 33andunder; 11-23-2012 at 06:25 PM.
33andunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
friskykitty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Little man is in a prek setting. We pay a set fee every week. I am a teacher so I simply dropped enrollment June-Aug and left my deposit. They held his spot for fall. Otherwise I pay year round. I do get 1 week vacation that I don't have to pay.
Little Dude welcomed November 2013
friskykitty is offline   Reply With Quote