Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
newcdmommy29
Registered Users
seller

Doula or not

DH and I are discussing having a doula this time. He says that we are going to be at a birthing center so we won't need one because the midwife will be there. I think at it would be a good idea because if there are other labors going on then the midwife will be in and out. So...what do you guys think? We've had a baby already in a hospital setting and I got medicine that I didn't REALLY want. Another reason I'm voting for a doula. DH was great but he and I both needed additional support I think.

Advertisement

newcdmommy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
fwm0615
Registered Users
seller

Re: Doula or not

I'm no expert in this but I had doula with my hospital birth. My midwife, who said they normally only have 2 or so women in labor at one time, had 5 women in labor. Two of us were attempting for natural child birth. She was totally swamped! We were glad we had our doula. I'm not sure about in a birthing center, it may be a little more lax, but remember that doulas cannot give you medical advice. I loved my doula because she worked so hard to make me comfortable but also keep labor moving. She also talked to our midwife when dh and I were in the midst of transition aka totally focused. So that was nice because she could tell the MW things that neither one of us were able to communicate at that time. Good luck!
fwm0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It depends on the center. My midwife runs a small birth center, but even at the homebirth she had another midwife and an assistant, so she doesn't usually work with doulas, although she's fine if a client hires one. It's just generally not necessary, because the birth assistant is also a trained doula and tends to fill that role.

If the birth center is busier and she is likely to have more clients, then I say a doula would be very helpful.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just had one for my homebirth & I would recommend one no matter where you birth... & this was our 1st doula ever, 4th birth... even DH was so grateful... we did a newspaper interview about having a doula recently & DH chimed in that having a doula gave peace of mind... & HE was my support person saying that... we adored ours & she was amazing w/me, our older DC, etc. I say if you can afford one, go for it!! Mine was a volunteer because she is just getting her certifications & wanting to build her business. We could not have afforded one otherwise, especially since we had to pay 100% OOP for our birth. HTH!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm planning on having a Doula this time, which will be my second homebirth, and I'm a Doula myself. For me I want that extra emotional/physical support. While MWs offer emotional/physical support as well, it's nice to have someone solely for that too.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcdmommy29
DH and I are discussing having a doula this time. He says that we are going to be at a birthing center so we won't need one because the midwife will be there. I think at it would be a good idea because if there are other labors going on then the midwife will be in and out. So...what do you guys think? We've had a baby already in a hospital setting and I got medicine that I didn't REALLY want. Another reason I'm voting for a doula. DH was great but he and I both needed additional support I think.
Depends. My birthing center can have 3 moms birth at the same time. The midwife would be servicing the birth process. Not necessarily holding my hand. A doula and a midwife are not interchangeable in all settings. I would discuss this with your midwife- doula is highly recommended at my birthing center. I would NOT expect your midwife to sit by your side without asking her if that's the plan. And I know I need my support person right there. Nonstop!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I'm planning on having a Doula this time, which will be my second homebirth, and I'm a Doula myself. For me I want that extra emotional/physical support. While MWs offer emotional/physical support as well, it's nice to have someone solely for that too.
Interesting! I am a doula, but didn't have a doula at either of my births. I had planned one for the first one, but it went so quickly that she just met us at the hospital for the last 20 minutes, and then the second time I knew that I was fine without one. I think that lots of women really can benefit from a doula, but I understand when a woman doesn't feel that she needs one, either.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
Interesting! I am a doula, but didn't have a doula at either of my births. I had planned one for the first one, but it went so quickly that she just met us at the hospital for the last 20 minutes, and then the second time I knew that I was fine without one. I think that lots of women really can benefit from a doula, but I understand when a woman doesn't feel that she needs one, either.
This is actually the first time I'm using a Doula. My first was a hospital birth, didn't use a Doula, but it was his birth that made me want to be one. Then I had my second at home and had a MW, a MW assistant (she was a student CNM), my mom and my DH. So didn't feel like I needed a Doula. But this time, eventhough I'm having another homebirth, I really want my friend who is a long time Doula present. I'm not sure why, but the moment I became pregnant I just felt like I needed her there.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
infojunqie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a doula and I believe you should definitely have a doula. There is so much evidence supporting their use--less interventions, reduced epidural and cesarean rates, better breastfeeding rates, happier mom and baby postpartum, less chance for PPD, etc. There is something about having someone with you 100% of the time that makes the difference, and that difference is something that your midwife cannot provide if she has to go to another birth. Having a doula also takes the pressure off of your husband to perform as a coach, and he can take on a more emotionally supportive role for you and be more involved in the labor process without "performance anxiety." If you want one, have one. I would hate for you to not have one and regret the decision later.
infojunqie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
ibenchu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go for a doula! I think the prep time ahead of the birth with your doula in getting ready mentally is priceless. In the birth process it's nice to have someone to call to ask labor questions too (I called my doula while in labor with my third asking absurd questions, even though I AM a doula and *know* the answers). Plus, following the birth it's nice to have someone to process what happened with and also check in with you emotionally throughout your PP period. I think doulas are invaluable and I've never had anyone regret hiring one.
Mama to DD #1 9/15/2006 and DD #2 6/2/2008: DS 8/5/2010 and DD 1/6/2013
CAPPA Doula for Metro Denver
ibenchu is offline   Reply With Quote