Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:
Shipping cost differences on eBay?

Any idea why the shipping cost of one item from US to Canada would be over $17 using USPS First Class Mail International, when the cost of shipping for similar items ranges from $4-$7? Is this a scam to hide item cost? I've never sold on eBay, so I don't know how shipping prices are established.

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Re: Shipping cost differences on eBay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My_Tree_Grows View Post
Any idea why the shipping cost of one item from US to Canada would be over $17 using USPS First Class Mail International, when the cost of shipping for similar items ranges from $4-$7? Is this a scam to hide item cost? I've never sold on eBay, so I don't know how shipping prices are established.
What do you mean by "similar"? Similar in weight? Size?

There can be a big difference shipping costs if the weight of the item goes over a certain tier. Or if it can fit into a flat rate package vs not.

And the shipping class makes a very big difference. International first-class is much cheaper than priority. If the seller is only offering priority shipping - since that's the only class that offers delivery confirmation for international - then it'll be much more expensive than first-class for the same item.

Having said that, some sellers do indeed jack up shipping costs, hoping to deceive buyers into thinking they're getting a good deal, yes.

Last edited by expaik; 11-09-2012 at 02:27 PM.
expaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm looking at 4 dresses, all similar styles and the samematerial, so their weight should be close, I'd think. They all say under shipping USPS First Class Mail International. Should these be closer in price, then, based on what you're saying? Is there a polite way to challenge shipping costs or should I avoid that item?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
expaik
Registered Users
seller

I'm surprised that any one of them would be only $4 for shipping from US to Canada. I doubt it would be so low...

Approximately how much do you think each one weighs? A 1-pound package from US to Canada is only like $6 or $7 so, I believe. They might be inflating a bit to account for insurance (I usually add around $2 for international insurance because first-class doesn't offer tracking) or maybe paypal currency conversion.

However, some sellers just put one flat worldwide shipping price (that would be the same to Canada, to India, to Russia, etc.) They're basically too lazy to figure separate costs for different countries. Shipping to those farther destinations is definitely most expensive (possibly twice the amount it takes to ship to Canada).

You are definitely within your rights to send them a message, saying you're in Canada, and since shipping to there is much cheaper, would they be willing to discount the shipping cost. A good seller will be more than happy to do so.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

If a seller in the US wants to be protected, they have to ship it at a much more expensive rate to get delivery confirmation/signature. I can't remember exact prices but it is a huge difference in price. This is the reason many people don't want to ship out of the US. If you mail it at a reasonable rate... you have no protection as a seller.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
expaik
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
If a seller in the US wants to be protected, they have to ship it at a much more expensive rate to get delivery confirmation/signature. I can't remember exact prices but it is a huge difference in price. This is the reason many people don't want to ship out of the US. If you mail it at a reasonable rate... you have no protection as a seller.
To reiterate, this isn't entirely true. You can mail first-class and purchase insurance for the shipment. Insurance to Canada is only 1.15 through U-pic. So if the buyer claims it got lost, you can file a claim and be covered for the value.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I meant paypal/ebay protections. The buyer can claim it was not received and you would have no recourse but to refund.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I asked about the shipping difference and received a somewhat rude reply. To be fair, I asked one question before bidding (never answered) and the other about shipping after bidding, so I was already committed to buy.

The package arrived today and it says the postage was $8.30. I originally paid postage of $17.20. The seller later refunded $5.00 "for being rude," but I think it was because of the issue I found when I received the dress: the top layer of material is entirely torn away from the lining at the bust line, and frayed so it cannot be easily repaired.

I messaged the seller about this undisclosed issue, and she said she hadn't noticed the giant tear at the front top of the dress. She said to send it back and she'd refund the purchase price. That was only $3, whereas I paid $12.20 after refund for shipping.

Do I have any recourse here? If I pay for return shipping, then I'll be out over $20 for nothing. She's already made a small profit disguised as shipping fees, so she'd get the dress back AND be up by $3.90. I know these aren't large amounts, but the principle of it is really grinding on me. Can I ask for shipping fees back and/or return shipping paid? Is negative feedback an option, given that she's offered a form of resolution?

Last edited by My_Tree_Grows; 11-21-2012 at 10:48 PM.
My_Tree_Grows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

With eBay you can file a case and state that her offer for resolving it is unacceptable to you.
As the seller she is responsible for the condition of the item, and if it came with tears/defects that weren't disclosed then she is in the wrong. I'd file a case with eBay or maybe Paypal.

I think the way it works is you'd be responsible for return shipping, but eBay & PayPal would both make her refund your purchase price AND original shipping amount. So if she already gave you a partial refund then she'd just owe you the balance.

I'd even go so far as to expect her to reimburse you for return shipping bc she sent a damaged item. Get pictures of the item and see if you can send them to an eBay person.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

And as far as I know, even if/when eBay sides with you and you get a refund, you CAN still leave negative feedback. I would personally, after all that drama. If a buyer told me they found a tear like that I'd jump all over helping them return it and refunding their original payment (still expect them to pay return shipping per eBay and PayPal rules tho). Even if I thought the buyer was scamming me! As a seller I'm much more concerned about customer satisfaction and protecting my rating than making $4.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote