Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Good vitamin D supplement?

I currently take DHA, essential fatty acids, B6, B12, Folic acid, sublingual zinc and a liquid iron. I don't take a prenatal vitamin because I think it's better to supplement myself for vitamins I know I need rather than just a whole boatload (I get enough calcium, vitamin C etc.). Not to mention some vitamins I'd need a higher dose or lower dose than what is in the prenatal (for example vitamin d in an average prenatal is only 400, recommendations are 2000-4000 from the study I read) I would like to find a "good" meaning easily absorbed Vitamin D supplement after reading that Vitamin D increases good pregnancy outcomes, decreases C sections, and decreases labor pain.

Does anyone have a recommendation for me? My mother buys me almost all of my vitamins because she's a health nut. If I ask her I know she'll go out and buy me one but I'd rather just get it myself. Just in case anyone wonders I will get the amount of vitamin D I want to take cleared through my midwife before I start taking it.

I always get a little overwhelmed in the supplement aisle because I know that some supplements are low quality and pretty much useless. I just never know which ones are good quality and which ones aren't and then their is all of this talk about vitamin D2 and D3 (some people think one is better). So anyone have a recommendation?

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
MyLovely
Registered Users

Re: Good vitamin D supplement?

Do you prefer liquid or capsule?

If you like liquid, the Bluebonnet D is AWESOME. It comes in a bottle like an essential oil, so you can control how many drops you put on the spoon to take. One drop is 100% DV, but most people do a couple drops.

If you're fine with capsules, the Garden of Life Raw D3 is the top of the line.

Oh, and bump up your folic acid to about twice of whatever you're taking now. Few people know that B12 eats up your folic acid supply.

If you want a cheat sheet of brands that are always trustworthy and high quality, here are my favorites...

-Solgar
-Bluebonnet
-Garden of Life
-Herbapharm
-NOW
-Nordic Naturals
-Source Naturals

Last edited by MyLovely; 11-10-2012 at 07:23 PM.
MyLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks a lot! I prefer liquids over capsules so I am excited that you recommended a liquid version. Also thanks for the list of trustworthy brands, that makes it a lot easier.

I didn't know about B12 decreasing the folic acid so I'll definitely up that.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I take fermented cod liver oil, cinnamon-flavored, by Green Pastures. Vitamins A and D work together, and are fat soluble, so taking them as the natural oil supplement works the best, imo. During pregnancy it's best to take extra, so I took as much as I could afford, about 3/4 tsp every other day.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just an update I went to the health food store and couldn't find the liquid D but I did buy Garden of Life raw D3. I was hoping to avoid having to ship anything but unfortunately the store didn't carry fermented cod liver oil. I did some research about fermented cod liver oil and it definitely seems worth it to take. Thanks for suggesting it.