Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell landlord?

I know this is kind of a lame question, but we rent-- are we supposed to somehow formally inform our landlords about my pregnancy?

I mean, we already have one child, who I was pregnant with when we moved in, so it's not like it's not allowed or something. (side note- I actually think I read somewhere that not allowing babies is illegal unless it's an owner occupied rental, then they have te right to say I don't want a baby in the house I live in too)

So I'm just wondering if there is some etiquette here I haven't considered, and when would be an appropriate time to throw that note in with the rent check?

Advertisement

marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

We never have.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell landlord?

We moved into this place when I was 4 months pregnant. We even had a homebirth and never told them. I don't know if they ever figured it out or not. I did wonder about it when we signed the renewal, since all of the occupants' names were supposed to be on it, but he wasn't born until later that month, so I really couldn't add him, either!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't know if it's standard but our last apartment didn't count an occupant until they were 2. Our lease said no more than X people in the apartment, but infants didn't count.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had to go in and add dd on the lease after she was born but I moved at 34 weeks pg so I didn't need to formally tell them, my belly did that for me

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
Sabra
Registered Users

You might want to check local ordinances about people per room, but with only two kids you will probably be fine. Every lease we have ever signed listed mine and my husband's names and just said "and their minor children" for the kids. I've never told a landlord I was pregnant or had had a baby, but we had enough trouble trying to find a place to move 'cause of people not wanting to rent to us because of having four kids (this is illegal, of course, but there's not much you can do about it), so I think it's a good idea to know your local laws and your rights.
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

my 2 cents - our landlord likes to know how many people are in the home in case of emergencies, like a fire. not sure if they could tell the firemen how many people might still be in the house faster than we could, but i can see how it might be good for them to know. i don't think we were required to tell them, but they did list all the people in the home when we first rented. so, we told them when the twins arrived.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Its in my tenant's lease that they tell me anyone who is staying in the house so I would expect them to.

Its not in our lease, but dh told our landlord as soon as we got it confirmed. They are our next door neighbors, though, and are honestly like friends.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesajane View Post
my 2 cents - our landlord likes to know how many people are in the home in case of emergencies, like a fire. not sure if they could tell the firemen how many people might still be in the house faster than we could, but i can see how it might be good for them to know. i don't think we were required to tell them, but they did list all the people in the home when we first rented. so, we told them when the twins arrived.
This exactly! I am a landlord. We require in our lease that we know of everyone living in the house or staying there long term and notice if anyone comes after the lease is signed. (Read yours, I bet it does too) I wouldn't care that you were pregnant, but once the baby is born, I want to know he/she is there. In an emergency, we need to know how many people may or may not be in the house. What if a neighbor calls us to tell us the house is on fire and when we get there, we don't tell the fire department about a baby and you can't because you are unconscious? You, hubby and your other child are out and we tell them that is everyone. How horrible! You need to let them know. Just my landlord
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can see the whole thing about the landlord needing to know in case of emergencies. That makes sense.
We've never informed any of our landlords about pregnancies or babies. We've never had to list occupants on the rental agreements, and, as far as I know, there are no restrictions on occupants per bdr like I've read/heard about on here.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote