Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
CaylaEP
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quiet Time Bins??!

Now that cold weather is approaching and it isn't so easy to just go outside and play for hours I'm thinking of starting some quiet time bins for my 2&1/2 yr old. He still takes naps but the length of them in unpredictable and I need some more time to get all my school work done, plus it will break him into the idea of having "quiet time" every day for when he decides to stop napping. Do any of you do this? Any information, links, pictures, blogs, ideas would be awesome! How many "bins" do you have? Whats in them? Do you have quiet time daily? For how long? Etc! Thank you!

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Re: Quiet Time Bins??!

I have 4 kids (3 of whom are boys... 5,4, and 2-1/2). We don't exactly do bins, but we are setting up rotation stations for the winter weather, daily. I will still throw them outside if the weather is cold, but not damp and if they are feeling good; but they never last as long as they do in the warm weather so the rotation stations is to replace that time that is extra. One station is playdough and all the accessories. Another is water play at the kitchen sink with pourers, measuring cups, containers. The other is book station on the couch. And another is do-a-dot markers/crayons for coloring. 20 minutes at each station and then rotate time.

Other rotations will be: a craft with mama, linking cubes (those squares that fit together and they can build with), legos, magnets, box of beans, shape builders, and puppets.

I would also love more ideas!

Last edited by raisingcropsandbabies; 11-11-2012 at 11:12 AM.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

A friend lent us her bin of Mr. Potato Heads and all the pieces (she had a bunch, all different sizes) and that has inspired me to either do a toy swap or start my own collection! That would be another good quiet box.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never thought about this, but it's a great idea! I assume this would be stuff/activities only brought out at that certain time of each day, not just available all the time?

Mr Potato heads are awesome for a good chunk of quiet time - although, expect some giggling and "mommy, look!" with it - but lots of fun!
PlayDoh keeps my kids entertained for over an hour, usually.
Special coloring "work" (especially if mommy is working during that time, kwim?) with special stickers or stamps.
When DD was little we only pulled her dollhouse out when wanted, not out all the time, so that worked to entertain her for a long time when we brought it out.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/2...usy-boxes.html Like these?
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
Brits
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Here's a link to a blog post about quiet time bins, it has a few links to other blogs at the bottom as well.
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/...ttle-ones.html

I've been wanting to do these for my lo!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #7
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Loved the links!

I forgot how clothespins keep my 2 yr. old entertained... love the idea of having him put them all around the container.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #8
CaylaEP
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for all the ideas! I've been "pinning" ideas like crazy on pinterest and hope I can start getting the boxes set up this weekend. I'm going to do 7 boxes aNd rotate them and also change the stuff inside every couple weeks. A good idea I saw was to get a few library books each week and put one with each box so that would change weekly. DS loves reading & books so for us it's a great idea. I think I'm gonna shy away from some of the too messy crafts ideas like a watercolor box bc I want this to be independent play in his own Space. I'm going to put a few activities in each box and separate them in bags or something. A few ideas I like right now are those little glitter Pom Poms with tweezer to pick up and sort, counting bears with cups, noodles and shoe laces for "beading", a foam board with golf tees and a toy hammer, duplo Legos with a sequencing card to build them, bingo dotters/circle stickers with alphabet work sheets. I'm getting so excited to start them and go from there. I'm gonna look through the dollar store and the dollar section of many stores for some fun stuff too!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
I have 4 kids (3 of whom are boys... 5,4, and 2-1/2). We don't exactly do bins, but we are setting up rotation stations for the winter weather, daily. I will still throw them outside if the weather is cold, but not damp and if they are feeling good; but they never last as long as they do in the warm weather so the rotation stations is to replace that time that is extra. One station is playdough and all the accessories. Another is water play at the kitchen sink with pourers, measuring cups, containers. The other is book station on the couch. And another is do-a-dot markers/crayons for coloring. 20 minutes at each station and then rotate time.

Other rotations will be: a craft with mama, linking cubes (those squares that fit together and they can build with), legos, magnets, box of beans, shape builders, and puppets.

I would also love more ideas!
This is genius!! Maybe a Simon says station where the 5 year old leads? Get some wiggles out?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

I set up one bin for travel time, but the same idea - quiet toys they can use to entertain themselves. If you search 'fidget toys' on Amazon, you get really great ideas. Some of the ones in my box are Wooly Willy, Pin art, Tangles, gel/squish balls, kaleidoscope, Jacob's Ladder, Glow slate, mini magna doodles, magnifying glass, mini flashlights, water drop toys.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote