Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

UPDATED: Tongue Tie?

UPDATE:

DD has a pretty severe lip tie and also a posterior tongue tie.

What should I know about treatment? Is it something that I should be proactive about, or can I just worry about it later if problems arise? She can nurse so there is no immediate danger. We can afford braces when she's older so that shouldn't be a concern at all, right? If she has difficulty with speech etc, that can be addressed later.

I guess I'm wanting to make sure I can pretend like I don't know about the ties for now. Or am I missing something important that I need to look into?

Thanks!

__________________________________________________ _____________
So I just saw a thread and mamas were talking about lo not being able to keep a paci in because of a tongue tie...

So dd is 12 weeks. She can't keep a paci in (not even for 2 seconds) and she chomps while nursing. I wasn't concerned because she's still very efficient at nursing (5 minutes a session) and is gaining weight well.

I looked at photos of tongue ties on google, and dd doesn't look like that. Her tie thing is 1-1.5 cm from the tip of her tongue. Do you just look at the underside of their tongue to determine whether it's a problem? I hear people suggest seeing a pediatrician or LLL to check for one. Can I not just tell?

Advertisement

Last edited by Bentley'sMomma; 11-11-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
auntievenom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tongue Tie?

Not always - here's an article that's good.
http://www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-d...-and-lip-ties/

If you aren't sore and you aren't experiencing weight gain issues in lo then it isn't necessarily a concern.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
cynhilly
Registered Users

My lo had a posterior tie, which is harder to diagnose. I looked at her tongue and didn't see anything wrong with it. I was in LOTS of pain while nursing though, so I knew there was something wrong. If you're not in pain I wouldn't worry, but weight gain and short nursing sessions don't necessarily mean everything's fine, mine was in the 100th percentile and was still tongue tied, she was just flourishing at my expense! Worth looking into if you're in pain!
cynhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntievenom View Post
Not always - here's an article that's good.
http://www.mommypotamus.com/how-to-d...-and-lip-ties/

If you aren't sore and you aren't experiencing weight gain issues in lo then it isn't necessarily a concern.
Thanks mama! I'll try those tricks when she wakes up from her nap.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynhilly View Post
My lo had a posterior tie, which is harder to diagnose. I looked at her tongue and didn't see anything wrong with it. I was in LOTS of pain while nursing though, so I knew there was something wrong. If you're not in pain I wouldn't worry, but weight gain and short nursing sessions don't necessarily mean everything's fine, mine was in the 100th percentile and was still tongue tied, she was just flourishing at my expense! Worth looking into if you're in pain!
I'm not in pain, but there is sometimes discomfort. My worry is that it will turn into pain when she gets teeth (and I can already see the bottom front under the gums... my babies get teeth early) since she bites my nipple instead of sucks.

I'm not sure I would do anything about it even if she had one...
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have no clue as far as what to look for. I didn't notice anything with DS2, but was told twice that he had "a bit of a tongue tie". But he nursed fine so there were no issues.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
cynhilly
Registered Users

Well I was told that although there isn't conclusive evidence, there have been many studies that link tongue tie to problems with sinuses, speech issues, and needing braces because since the tongue is anchored tightly to the bottom of the mouth, it can't lift up high enough to widen the baby's palette (which apparently it normally does), which affects the sinuses.

That being said, I've heard from many mothers that babies biting while nursing is very common when they have teeth coming in, because pressing their gums against the nipple feels good on their gums, so that might be all there is to this whole issue!

Good luck!
cynhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Updated in OP
Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Re: UPDATED: Tongue Tie?

there is a wonderful support group on FB that has great info. My son has a pretty strong upper lip tie and prob has a posterior tongue tie, but he nurses fine (he used to click) at 5 1/2 mo. The ped couldn't see it, but I know it's there.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: UPDATED: Tongue Tie?

My DD2 was diagnosed with both a lip tie & posterior tongue tie, around 2-4 weeks of age. Like yours, she was transferring milk well & gaining, so we ignored. She's now 10 mos old and sticks her tongue waaayyy out (of course, that is just one case, but I hope for similar results for you!).

I've heard conflicting things about the lip tie so I'm avoiding that until a problem arises; some dentist saying they will cause spaces and problems, other dentists saying they cause a space at a young age, then as the mouth grows the lip tie lifts higher and the adult teeth come together appropriately.