Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
adonairoi
Registered Users
seller

Re: UPDATED: Tongue Tie?

I was tongue tied as a kid, as well as both of my daughters. Mine was never corrected and I had to go through 3 years of speech therapy, and was not able to pronounce my own name correctly until I was 8 so I grew up with a lot of teasing.

My oldest daughter had endless problems nursing, but my pediatrician refused to hear my concerns. We finally went to a pediatric surgeon who diagnosed her tie as severe and performed a frenulonectomy under general anesthesia at 12 months, but not until well after we had to switch to bottlefeeding. She is now 6 with no speech problems whatsoever.

My youngest had her tie fixed in the doctor's office at 5 days old- breastfeeding was instantly easier.

While plenty of people have a tongue tie and have no long term problems, I just wanted to share my experiences with it. I recommend seeing a pediatric surgeon, as they are the best ones to judge the severity of the tie. Most ped's don't recommend correction simply out of rule, without necessarily judging each individual case. Repairing a tie as an infant requires two people, a piece of gauze and a pair of scissors, baby can be placed on the breast instantly and will forget what has happened within seconds. Waiting until after 7 months or so and then it requires a hospital procedure under anesthesia, and stitches. Not trying to scare you, but I thought you might want to be aware of this as you plan. :-)

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
adonairoi
Registered Users
seller

I would also like to add that according to the mommypotomus article that was posted above, we were dealing with the Type I- total tip form of tie with both of my girls. The posterior ones may not be as common for causing speech problems, so please keep that in consideration regarding my advice. If the tie didn't go most of the way to the tip of the tongue, and nursing was going well, I probably would have left it alone.
adonairoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that the posterior tongue tie can affect speech more so than the lip tie. So far we haven't clipped my son's lip tie, and his teeth do have a large gap in them (he's 7.5 months). I wish I had known about the lip tie before his teeth came in, because then I would have gotten it clipped. I am going to see if I can get a referral to a pediatric dentist to clip the lip tie when I go to his checkup next month. I will lose his insurance when he's 1 year, and I'd rather get it taken care of now than later.
His issues haven't affected his nursing or anything either, so it's really the future issues that have me more worried.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
cynhilly
Registered Users

As far as long term effects of the tongue tie, it seems to me that it would be easier for both baby and parents to prevent issues now rather than treat them down the road. I know of two different families who found out their child was tongue tied at school age because of so many speech problems. They had the tongue clipped after countless speech therapy sessions, and referrals to experts. In both cases, parents told me that the speech issues resolved themselves almost overnight, with very little speech therapy!

I never had braces growing up, but my husband and his sister both did, and both they and my in laws have very vivid memories of the pain of getting the braces put on/adjusted, etc. my DH said he wished his parents knew about and resolved his tongue tie to avoid all of that. It seems that just being able to afford the braces isn't the only issue.

If you're worried about the clipping procedure itself, it's really not that bad, my DD cried for a few seconds, nursed, and was fine! I did give her Tylenol that evening bc the anesthetic was wearing off and she was a little unhappy, but with that and a little homeopathic teething gel she was fine! After the procedure, you do have to stretch the tongue and lip a few times a day, which is not pleasant, but that too only made her cry for a few seconds and nursing was an instant comfort.

It's up to you to make what you think is the best choice, and you never know if it will definitely end up being a problem for her in the future, so I guess there's a chance that it could be unnecessary, but to me it seemed like an easier option to address it now and avoid all the other possible complications. Just my own opinion, you need to decide what's right for you and your baby!

Good luck!
cynhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

My DS had a SEVERE tongue tie. He never had any trouble nursing, but he did clamp down tight on the nipple when he nursed. He was EBF w/o any solids till around 13/14 mos. He was HUGE and loved breastmilk and nursing.

Around 15 mos I realized he wasn't speaking well. He made NO consonant sounds. Everything was "aaa" or "oooh" or "ooo" or "eee" He could say "mmmm"but that was all for consonants. Then when we started solids I noticed as he got to more textured foods, he would bite his tongue and the insides of his mouth severely - like to where he was bleeding pretty badly - at every meal.

We knew something was wrong. He was diagnosed with a *SEVERE* tongue tie at 16 mos and it was corrected via surgery at 17 mos. The ENT said it was the wost tongue tie he'd seen in over 20 yrs of practice. They actually removed his frenulum b/c it was so severe they expected it to grow back together if it could. He picked up a few words within just a couple weeks of the procedure and he continued to nurse fine but stopped clamping down as hard when nursing, he stopped biting himself when eating. It was like an instant change.

So, all of that is to say, sometimes a tongue tie won't cause problems initially. If it is severe enough, though, it can impede their speech and give them trouble trying to eat solid foods. After my experience with DS, I would have any tongue tie in my kids corrected b/c it is usually a quick procedure and it it better to be safe than sorry IMO.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote