Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #31
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do your children call other adults?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
Mr. and Mrs. Last name. A few very close friends are Mr. and Ms. First name. Yes ma'am, no sir are also expected.

I don't see other kids doing that. He is 10 (will be in a few days) and this has been the rule. For family it is grandma, grandpa, aunt first name, uncle first name. We live in the pacific northwest... he is the exception to the rule. However, he visits family in the South every summer. In the south that sorta politeness is expected. I do think it is regional.

My son is also expected to "hold the door open". He has to wait to eat till grace is said. And say "please", "thank you", and not interrupt if 2 adults are talking.

Advertisement

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #32
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our kids do Mr./Mrs./Miss First Name. Unless it is someone quite a bit older or someone we don't know very well and then it is Mr./Mrs./Miss Last Name. We don't do aunt/uncle, they are very close and called by their first names.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #33
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

Usually just first names. I prefer to just be called by my first name, not Miss FirstName.
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #34
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

we do mr miss first name. Then their friends got older and in ps and started "mrs. taylor"-ing me and I told them to cut it out. Miss Julie or Julie works for me
my kids call my sibs by their 1st name and sometimes add an aunt or uncle in front of that but usually only when referring to them not talking to them directly.

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 11-11-2012 at 02:48 PM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #35
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

We do Mr./Mrs. Last Name unless told to do otherwise. A few of our close friends are Uncle, Aunt, and a few close friends of our parents are Granny and Grandpa. After those folks, its about half and half with first name and last name. But the kids know to always start out with the last names.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #36
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My children use Miss/Mr/Mrs toward any adult out side of our family and with family they use proper titles (Ex Uncle John & Aunt Jennifer ) They refer to our best friends as Mrs (first name) and Mr(first name) . Our children also answer questions with yes sir and yes ma'am . They are also not allowed to say "What" when they don't hear us. They are to say Ma'am or Sir in question form.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #37
cyanotype
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Very close friends of DH & I are Aunt/Uncle. I started with the Mr/Mrs/Ms last name and nobody liked it, so we do first names. :P If someone was more comfortable with Mr/Mrs/Ms, that's what the kids would call them.

My phone thinks it smarter than me. Please pardon any mistakes.
cyanotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #38
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids are taught to call people miss/mrs/mr first name unless they are very close friends. DH's best friend is Uncle P and my BFF and her husband are Aunt M and Uncle C to our DS. My DDs called them Aunt and Uncle when they were younger but don't anymore. They just call them by their first names now.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #39
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It really depends on how we know the person. We have an eclectic group of friends and aquaintances and the boys associate more commonly with adults than with kids their own age so they tend to have people of all ages who they consider to be their friends.

First we have our friends from our hobby group. Dh and I have known most of them for 4+ years now and so the boys have grown up with them (Tharen doesn't remember not having these people in his life). It would be awkward for them to refer to any of them in a formal manner because they are more like family. C, who is over every single weekend and is our choice for guardian should any thing happen to us, is more like an older sibling/uncle than anything else. The boys call him by first name or sometimes Uncle. Our other friends aren't quite as close but the boys either call them by first name or sometimes Ms./Mr. first name. Then we have another friend in the same group who is like an extra grandmother for the boys and they call her Onna.

Then we have our TKD school and all of the adults there. It is a rule at the school that we refer to higher ranking students and adults as Mr./Ms. first name. The kids (all of them) sometimes slip as far between themselves but they all always refer to the adults with Mr. or Ms. Then we refer to our Master as Master first name. They often refer to all of the instructors as Master though only one has earned the title. TKD is more formal than most of us would normally be.

We also have derby friends and that is a whole different world. Everyone in derby has a derby name and it is expected that you will call a person by their derby name. I can't imagine what the guys would do if Tharen called them Mr. These guys are as much Tharen's friends as they are dh's (and probably more so than they are mine), it would be strange for him to be formal with them when they are not with him. This is just normal in derby culture. They are his teammates and friends.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #40
anrmom21
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Miss or Mister first name unless it is one of ny aunts then it is aunt whoever. No matter how well we know the person. I feel that it is the respectful thing to do.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DS Forum
anrmom21 is offline   Reply With Quote