Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Flu shot?

I don't want this to turn into a vaccination debate but the pediatrician mentioned flu shots. We are a family that vaccinates on our own schedule. But have never given the flu shot...mainly because I have always gotten much sicker after getting one.

What are your feelings? Worth it with school age kids?

Advertisement

knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flu shot?

DD is in gr2 and DS is in Kindergarten. Neither have had the flu shot ever and DD is the only one who ever gets stomach bugs. But it's never the flu, more of a 24hr virus. I've never had one either and have had the flu once in my life The resident at our Ped's office told me we were lucky we've never been sick. I wanted to kick her lol.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
mekat
Registered Users

Do I think people are safer getting the flu shot? In general yes. Do I think those who aren't at risk should get it? Ehh! 6-1 one way, half a dozen the other way. I play the odds when I make medical decisions. I always try to stack the odds in my family's favor. If you think odds are more likely they will have a reaction then get a benefit you have your answer if you think odds are more likely they will benefit then have a reaction you also have your answer.

The only time I consider it a no brainer is if the person in question falls in a high risk category then IMO everyone in the household that can be safely vaccinated should. Just for the record I do get the flu shot along with the rest of the family members in my household. Nobody has had a negative reaction and we have noticed a huge difference in winter illnesses and outcomes but in all fairness we have two high risk individuals.

My son has faulty Natural Killer Cells which play a key role in fighting tumors and virally infected cells. Because he doesn't have good capability of fighting off a virus infection he would come home sick and then pass it on to everyone else. I actually have a pretty awesome immune system but it is next to impossible not to get sick when you are caring for a young child that doesn't understand personal hygiene precautions ie. when you comfort a crying child and they sneeze or slobber directly in your face. Basically it was a huge mess and we both suffered by skipping the flu shot.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

My family never got the flu shot. I never got the flu shot while pregnant/nursing even though it was highly recommended.
Now DH does get the flu shot because 1) he believes it works, and 2) he is an EMT and at a higher exposure than anyone else in the family. We've never had the flu.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post
DD is in gr2 and DS is in Kindergarten. Neither have had the flu shot ever and DD is the only one who ever gets stomach bugs. But it's never the flu, more of a 24hr virus. I've never had one either and have had the flu once in my life The resident at our Ped's office told me we were lucky we've never been sick. I wanted to kick her lol.
There is no vaccination for the stomach flu. Influenza is a respiratory disease, not a tummy bug.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've never had a flu shot, and I rarely get sick. At our recent checkup, the nurse was quite alarmed that I was declining the flu shot, especially because I'm pregnant. She went over all the life-threatening reasons why I'm going to die any day now if I don't get the vaccine. The actual doctor came in, listened to my reasoning and said that it sounded good and that I shouldn't worry about it - I'll be fine. I guess it all depends on who you ask because opinions are going to vary.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids

There is no vaccination for the stomach flu. Influenza is a respiratory disease, not a tummy bug.
This'
Old 11-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you both for pointing that out. I am well aware of that and certainly didn't mean to imply that a stomach bug and influenza were remotely the same thing.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
yanyan
Registered Users

I work in a hospital and I am forced to get the flu shot or wear a mask all day for 5 months. This just started last year but it seems like a lot of hospitals are going this way.
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
OneFishTwoFish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We delay some shots as well. We never got flu shots until the last year or so. When I was pregnant with DS2, my midwife who I LOVED and TRUSTED shared with me a story of her handicapped brother and how it was a result of her mother getting sick while pregnant. Swine flu was at it's height and I got the shot.

I don't think any of us got it last year. DS2 (who was 6 months or so) came down with a cold that turned into a chest infection and had to be treated with a nebulizer and all that. I don't think the flu shot would have helped, but the ordeal sucked anyway!

Now this year DS1 is in preschool, DS2 is out and about much more than DS1 was at his age. So we all got the shots. For me, it's really cause of the youngest (15 months) he had such trouble breathing last year!!! As they get older I will probably go back to not getting it.