Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We don't do flu shots here. IMO the risks outweigh the possible benefits
This was just further reinforced when my cousin developed guillain barre after having hers.
Scary!

Advertisement

mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
kathryn4433
Registered Users
seller

Re: Flu shot?

DD is only 9 months but we are doing the flu shot this year and will continue. Both DH and I work in healthcare and come into contact with all sorts of things...want DD to be protected
kathryn4433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #13
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
No we don't and we never have. I work in a school and the kids are in school so we all have plenty of exposure and everyone is fine. When I was pregnant with DS I didn't get it and was sick but the flu shot wouldn't have helped my sinus infection anyway.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

I got the flu when I was pregnant with my odd. I spent a week in the hospital with it. It was a horrible time and I was worried about the baby the whole rest of my pregnancy. A few years ago I started teaching preschool. I get the flu shot every year now.
thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
makclair
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids

There is no vaccination for the stomach flu. Influenza is a respiratory disease, not a tummy bug.
Thank you .
makclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #16
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn4433 View Post
DD is only 9 months but we are doing the flu shot this year and will continue. Both DH and I work in healthcare and come into contact with all sorts of things...want DD to be protected
There is a study that shows the flu shot wasn't any more effective than a placebo for children under 2 years old. Just FYI.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used to work in a hospital and had to have one every year so I still get one because I haven't encountered any bad side effects. After DS was born I opted to get his at 6 months because we were going on an airplane in winter and wanted to be safe. He didn't have any effects. I skipped it the next 2 years but had him get it this year because he started being in a MDO program around other kids and I am having a baby in Feb. I just don't want to risk something being brought home. I may skip again next year. Just depends on the circumstances for us.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH is a teacher, the older kids are all in school.
We have never gotten the flu shot for any of us. We have gotten the flu (the real one, lol) a few times over the years, but we all must be fairly healthy otherwise because we made it through fine without meds or hospitalization or Dr appts.
I'd rather get the flu and build up a natural immunity to it, personally.

If we ever had a family member with risk factors, then we would look into it further, reconsider, and make a decision based on those factors.

ETA: I always have found it odd that so many Drs recommend the flu shot during pregnancy. My mom works in a couple Dr offices and gives flu shots to patients. She has read all the info sheets in the package - and it says on them that flu shots are not recommended for use during pregnancy.
I guess these Drs are recommending it based on their own opinions of risk vs. benefit, but I think they should be informing the mothers that the manufacturers themselves don't recommend it.

Last edited by canadianbakers; 11-12-2012 at 08:37 AM.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
Angel89411
Banned

We typically don't. Ds1 got one because he was 6 months old when the time came so that was a no brainer for us. We got DS2 his, with much debate and hesitation, on Thursday. He has been off and under the weather since and is now sick. He will not be getting the booster. We fully vax, if it matters. DH and I just see no point in the flu shot unless you are at risk. Like very young or old, sick, immuno compromised.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

We fully vaccinate, but delay some vaccines. Everyone in our family gets the flu vaccine every year and we've never had a problem with it. I'm considered high-risk because of asthma and my two youngest are high-risk because of being infants who were preemies. DH doesn't have a choice in the military. The four of us all got the shot this year. DD1 got the flu mist for the first time this year, which is actually more effective than the shot because it's a live virus. She did great with it, so we plan to continue getting that in future years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
ETA: I always have found it odd that so many Drs recommend the flu shot during pregnancy. My mom works in a couple Dr offices and gives flu shots to patients. She has read all the info sheets in the package - and it says on them that flu shots are not recommended for use during pregnancy.
I guess these Drs are recommending it based on their own opinions of risk vs. benefit, but I think they should be informing the mothers that the manufacturers themselves don't recommend it.
Most flu shots contain thimerosol, which is not recommended during pregnancy. Your mom is most likely looking at info sheets for flu shots that contain thimerosol. There is a thimerosol-free version that is given to young children and pregnant women.

Last edited by CASMama711; 11-12-2012 at 11:57 AM.
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote