Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Funnix Reading and Math - FreeDownload?

For those who have used or are using Funnix for reading and/or math how do your kids like it? Have you used anything else and how does it compare? We have tried Teach Your child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, MFW 1st grade (their phonics lessons), and Explode the Code. But my kids are still struggling to read at 8 and 9. We also are having some frustration with Math-U-See. We recently discovered a Hooked on Spelling computer game at the library and they love doing it. I am wondering if a computer based program will help with their reading and some fun math supplementation. Can those that have used it give me their opinions please?

I also remember reading on this forum one time that Funnix might offer a free download once a year. If anyone has done this can you give me an idea of when that might be? TIA

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Funnix Reading and Math - FreeDownload?

I have used both math and reading from funnix. I used the reading with both of my boys but only used the math with my youngest. My oldest did K at a charter school but still struggled with reading, after completing funnix his reading confidence has improved. He will always be a bit behind in reading comprehension because he is ASD and does not fully understand why people do the things they do, he also doesn't answer questions well, but he can read and understand at grade level even if he can't always answer the questions I ask him. He also really enjoyed Funnix (probably because it is computer based). My youngest has only ever used funnix and a bit of progressive phonics. Even without completing the program he was reading at a high 3rd grade level when I tested him last spring. The program worked very well and it is still working. He does not enjoy it though and I have to fight with him to get him to do it. However I have to fight with him to get him to do anything so that probably has far less to do with the program and more to do with him. He knows it is school work and I want him to do it so he isn't going to.

I also used the math program with Tharen but it is really basic, intended for K-1 I would guess. He never fully finished it because while he loved it in the beginning he is refusing to do all school work now and it wasn't worth the fight. We are doing all hands on math right now. It is a great program for K for a child who loves computers. It introduces number concepts, addition, subtraction and I think it eventually gets to early money and time but I'm not certain.

I downloaded both programs free and it does seem to come up free once a year (different times for both). I received my funnix reading in early January so it may come up again soon (it is usually available for a month). If you can wait it is worth watching for. The math is during the summer some time I think.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
cedavid2011
Registered Users
seller

Re: Funnix Reading and Math - FreeDownload?

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I will keep my eye on it for the free download.