Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Hand, foot & mouth.

dd1 has it. She's 8 which is a bit weird but I can't think of anything else that would give her little blisters in those 3 places.

She's not sick at all. Not even a little. The spots appeared on Thursday. When can I send her back to school? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

I was thinking when the spots on her hands were gone would be appropriate since the fluid in them can spread the virus - does anyone know how long this will last ?

Weirdly, I thinks she got it from ME. I thought I had burned my mouth and it blistered 3 days later (because I did burn my mouth badly) but now I'm thinking it was HFM. The actual toddler in the house does not seem to have it (yet).

Advertisement

isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Hand, foot & mouth.

My 1 year old had it for about 10 days. Besides the first day, she really didn't have any symptoms of discomfort and was fine running around and playing. But we stayed clear of others for a week and a half to 2 weeks. That's how long it took the dots to go away.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

According to the BC CDC info (pg 18):
-incubation period is 3-6 days
-person is contagious for 7-10 days
-child can attend school/childcare if they feel well enough to take part in activities; anything soiled by infected child's nose, throat, or stool should be carefully disposed of; common toys/surfaces should be disinfected

If it was my child, it would depend on their hygiene habits - does she use kleenexes well when blowing her nose, not wipe her nose on her sleeve/hand, cover her mouth when sneezing/coughing, wash hands regularly and well - if so, I would be comfortable sending her back to school once all the blisters are gone.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DH had HFM a month or so ago. He didn't even know what it was until he was basically over it. He was telling our Chiropractor how he'd had these weird spots on his hands and he looked at it and knew immediately. I guess he caught it from our toddlers, but the rest of us didn't get it.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

We just went through it - apparently the strains out this year are hitting older children/adults greater than usual.

From what I recall of my Drs advice it is possible the fluid in those spots/blisters might still come out, so there is a bit of a risk of contagion so long as the spots/blisters exist. We avoided all playgroups, etc for a week because of sores in the mouth in a baby/toddler who can't be guaranteed to get to a kleenex first when they sneeze/drool. Drove me batty!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Thx. That was what I was thinking - wait until the blisters are gone. Ugh. I hope either dd2 gets it NOW or doesn't get it at all or I'm going to be off work for weeks!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote