Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #21
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chat Thread ~ Nov 11th-17th

dp

Advertisement

Last edited by MrsCrafty; 11-12-2012 at 07:57 AM.
MrsCrafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt View Post
Yesterday I had a bridal shower, it was really fun, good food and I got a bunch of kitchen gear! It makes me feel so blessed our family gifting us with these parties and things we need for the house. DF was sick with a fever so I took both kids into the city with me and they did pretty good.
I'm trying not to get ahead of myself but I think I'm finally over the m/s. I actually went grocery shopping on Saturday, I only threw up once all weekend! I've been craving fresh fruits and veggies so today at work I have grapes, sliced apples, and veggies with ranch dip! Yum!
for showers! and more for hopefully being over the m/s!!! That's awesome!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
MamaBarton
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yesterday we went to babysrus to register, kinda fun but we didnt add that much to our registry. I was very disappointed in their selection. We were there forever! we did manage to pick out a infant carseat tho, but that was the only big thing we did! I was getting annoyed that they didnt have all of the carseats I wanted to look at, the lady that worked there couldnt tell me which cribs were solid wood and which were veneer and then looking at the shotty construction of the cribs and changing tables etc really annoyed me! I think a lot of my issue was the price of things! HOLY COW!!! I had a really hard time adding anything especially big stuff other than a car seat that was a big ticket item because I knew that I could buy it on consignment or at a thrift store for a ton less money. We are going to go to the bigger babysrus one day soon. the whole thing is just making question if I am bonding with this baby, like maybe thats part of my problem. ugh I dunno! Saturday I went to a meeting for a group that about 90% of my friends are in and we always have a great time, after the official meeting was over we were sitting around talking and laughing and carrying on and Mary Elizabeth was kicking like crazy! I'm sure she was like "Mom, these people are really loud and completely crazy can we go now?!?!" lol too funny!
with baby #1. Mary Elizabeth due April 2, 2013!
MamaBarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #24
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBarton View Post
I think a lot of my issue was the price of things! HOLY COW!!!
Umm... come up here, see our prices... then you'll be happy with the prices down there! Seriously. Our prices are often 2-3 times the US prices.

Are you planning/hoping to have more kids?
If you are, then consider that when looking at the price - you can keep these things and use them for the next baby, you'll get years and years of use out of them. That helps make the cost seem more manageable.
If you aren't, ask around to your friends (they likely would ask their friends, too) and see if anyone has these things that you could borrow, use, and return after you're done with them. The only thing I wouldn't do this with, like you mentioned, are car seats.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #25
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
I must be the only one here that likes a hospital birth! I like being catered to basically by DH and the nurses, they bring things and answer questions, one helped a lot with DS and I (major nursing issues with him). They had lactation consultants on hand to visit and help too. It was nice only having to lay back, recover, take care of DS with DH, watch TV, and have visitors. The only aspect I didn't like was the night waking, it didn't coincide with DS's waking so that was rough. I was so ready to go home by day 4 (yeah, emergency c-section, it was a tough hospital recovery due to HELLP syndrome).

The food on the maternity ward was really good too, they have their own food service for it, (SO much better than other hospital food I've had at the same hospital) and the bathroom shower was to die for. I dream of a shower like that. The maternity floor was awesome.
I love my doc and hospital, you're not alone! I think it doesn't get talked about as much because you don't have to fight the system when you're more mainstreamish
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #26
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
I must be the only one here that likes a hospital birth! I like being catered to basically by DH and the nurses, they bring things and answer questions, one helped a lot with DS and I (major nursing issues with him). They had lactation consultants on hand to visit and help too. It was nice only having to lay back, recover, take care of DS with DH, watch TV, and have visitors. The only aspect I didn't like was the night waking, it didn't coincide with DS's waking so that was rough. I was so ready to go home by day 4 (yeah, emergency c-section, it was a tough hospital recovery due to HELLP syndrome).

The food on the maternity ward was really good too, they have their own food service for it, (SO much better than other hospital food I've had at the same hospital) and the bathroom shower was to die for. I dream of a shower like that. The maternity floor was awesome.
Well, we have a gorgeous hospital. It's run well. BUT, I hate being confined to the bed, and I hate the beds in general. There is nothing comfortable about trying to sleep in a hospital bed. Also, I've never had very good food. They serve dumb things like cabbage soup or beans to new moms... yeah. My babies were all very fussy with foods like that. Tomatoes, fruit, onions, garlic, chocolate. All of it made them scream. So I'd much prefer having my own food.

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #27
MamaBarton
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
Umm... come up here, see our prices... then you'll be happy with the prices down there! Seriously. Our prices are often 2-3 times the US prices.

Are you planning/hoping to have more kids?
If you are, then consider that when looking at the price - you can keep these things and use them for the next baby, you'll get years and years of use out of them. That helps make the cost seem more manageable.
If you aren't, ask around to your friends (they likely would ask their friends, too) and see if anyone has these things that you could borrow, use, and return after you're done with them. The only thing I wouldn't do this with, like you mentioned, are car seats.
OMgosh I couldnt imagine prices any higher than they are here!
We are planning/hoping/praying to have more kids and God willing shortly after this one arrives. So I have been taking all that into account and the big ticket items (crib, stroller, carseats, swings etc) I am getting all gender neutral stuff or if I am getting girly making sure that I can make a cover for things like the high chair and car seats etc but its still bugging me that I know for a fact that I can get a like new or vguc item for half the price and it will still last through several children lol guess I just have a hard time asking people for things like that. oh well I will suck it up I guess! lol
Old 11-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #28
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
BUT, I hate being confined to the bed, and I hate the beds in general. There is nothing comfortable about trying to sleep in a hospital bed. Also, I've never had very good food.
I've not been confined to the bed in our hospital - with Levi's labor I chose to stay in bed, but it was early morning and I was tired. The nurse kept asking me if I wanted to get up or move around or anything and I chose not to.
Even with my induction I wasn't on constant monitoring and didn't have to be in the bed - maybe they would have preferred it, but I refused, lol.

to their food choices! OMGoodness, what dietician thought that was a good idea?!

Quote:
OMgosh I couldnt imagine prices any higher than they are here!
if I am getting girly making sure that I can make a cover for things like the high chair and car seats
Yup, they are.
For example, a normal graco infant seat I just found for $99.99 US... and $179.99 CAD

That's a good idea about the gender neutral or recovering girly stuff for a boy - but you shouldn't be planning to make anything for the car seat. Anything that isn't from the manufacturer, to be used with that seat, is not recommended and not tested, so you don't know for sure that it's safe, kwim? But you can very often (as in, always that I know of) buy a new seat cover from the manufacturer for not too much
Old 11-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #29
MamaBarton
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
I've not been confined to the bed in our hospital - with Levi's labor I chose to stay in bed, but it was early morning and I was tired. The nurse kept asking me if I wanted to get up or move around or anything and I chose not to.
Even with my induction I wasn't on constant monitoring and didn't have to be in the bed - maybe they would have preferred it, but I refused, lol.

to their food choices! OMGoodness, what dietician thought that was a good idea?!

Yup, they are.
For example, a normal graco infant seat I just found for $99.99 US... and $179.99 CAD

That's a good idea about the gender neutral or recovering girly stuff for a boy - but you shouldn't be planning to make anything for the car seat. Anything that isn't from the manufacturer, to be used with that seat, is not recommended and not tested, so you don't know for sure that it's safe, kwim? But you can very often (as in, always that I know of) buy a new seat cover from the manufacturer for not too much
even if its just the seat liner? it has no restraining power what-so-ever! what could possibly make it unsafe? something I never would have thought of! thanks!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #30
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
even if its just the seat liner? it has no restraining power what-so-ever! what could possibly make it unsafe? something I never would have thought of! thanks!
Yes. Anything that goes between baby and the harness, or baby and the seat (like the cover) should never be used unless it's from the manufacturer and for that specific seat.
This includes things like the "bundle me" bags (often see those used in winter) and having puffy snowsuits, coats, or sweaters as well.

You don't want anything in there that hasn't been crash tested with the seat. Anything else may be safe in a crash, but it also could compress and end up leaving the harness very loose on baby. I have seen photos of empty snowsuits in seats after crashes

ETA: Also, using anything like those with your seat would void any warranty with the manufacturer.
People also use the flame retardant-ness of the fabrics as a reason too - but that can wear off over time and with washing, and I know I wash my seat cover before baby ever goes in the seat, so I don't count that as a reason.

Last edited by canadianbakers; 11-12-2012 at 11:57 AM.