Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #61
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
That's the least of insurance shenanigans. Some insurances EXCLUDE PRENATAL CARE altogether. It's disgusting.
Our insurance is a little different than most, since it is a HDHP and we contribute to an HSA, but although all "preventive" care is covered 100%, such as teeth cleanings, physicals, annual exams, well baby visits, mammograms/colonoscopies/etc when applicable, NO prenatal/maternal care is covered until we reach our (in-network) annual deductible of $3100. (Out of network is $5200.)

It kind of sucks to have to absorb all of the expenses now, but when you consider we are paying $960 annually in premiums instead of $7,800 for a traditional health insurance policy (where we would still have to pay co-pays!) it makes it a little easier to swallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bai18176
With my first, I didn't wear mat clothes until 24 weeks,and no one ever had the nerve to ask if I was pregnant until my last month or so. Everyone is different
I am not alone! Yay! All of my maternity stuff is still laughably huge on me and didn't really fit last time, anyway, until the last couple months after I had gained an obscene amount of weight. I wish they made maternity stuff that was JUST bigger in the belly - my stuff *might* fit now if it weren't so big in the thigh/butt area! And it is all S/XS. looks like I will be living in leggings this winter... And dresses in the spring. :/ Please, people, don't hate me for complaining about this. It sucks! Nothing is comfortable at this point.

Advertisement

KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #62
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH

Our insurance is a little different than most, since it is a HDHP and we contribute to an HSA, but although all "preventive" care is covered 100%, such as teeth cleanings, physicals, annual exams, well baby visits, mammograms/colonoscopies/etc when applicable, NO prenatal/maternal care is covered until we reach our (in-network) annual deductible of $3100. (Out of network is $5200.)

It kind of sucks to have to absorb all of the expenses now, but when you consider we are paying $960 annually in premiums instead of $7,800 for a traditional health insurance policy (where we would still have to pay co-pays!) it makes it a little easier to swallow.
What's unfortunate is the people who have those plans but are paid so little they can't cover that out of pocket expense, or it's a hardship For us we've easily gotten our money's worth on insurance, after 2 surgeries on DD1 that would have totaled $100,000-150,000 dollars, an emergency C-section with 6 week NICU stay, OT for DD1, and 3 minor surgeries for DH. We have low copays and almost everything is covered, we feel very blessed.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #63
creative_catch
Registered Users

Re: Chat Thread ~ Nov 11th-17th

Thanks for the reassurance. And also glad to know other experience the can't fit normal clothes but too small for maternity clothes phase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bai18176 View Post
Hopefully you will feel baby soon! Do you know if it's a boy or girl, or are you finding out?
We just found out its a boy! We didn't know when we'd find out and so pleasantly surprised with the news, and ready to shop! My DH already set aside his slingshot in the "for my son box"... sigh

I don't know how to include another quote from another user- but insurance not covering Prenatal is crazy! All those lab tests.... it is A LOT to pay out of pocket- we had to until we sort stuff out with our health insurance, file claims, etc.

Have you all picked or thinking of baby names? I seem to have no trouble coming up with girls names, but stumped on boys names!
creative_catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #64
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
What's unfortunate is the people who have those plans but are paid so little they can't cover that out of pocket expense, or it's a hardship For us we've easily gotten our money's worth on insurance, after 2 surgeries on DD1 that would have totaled $100,000-150,000 dollars, an emergency C-section with 6 week NICU stay, OT for DD1, and 3 minor surgeries for DH. We have low copays and almost everything is covered, we feel very blessed.
Um... My husband makes quite a bit of money. We CHOSE to have that plan and it's not a hardship. From what I have seen with friends and family, paying $600-1200 or more for health insurance MONTHLY is MUCH more of a hardship than paying $80-150 a month and having all preventative care covered and being able to pay anything else with tax free dollars.

After we reach our deductible, certain things are covered 100% and everything else is covered 90/10 them/us until a certain dollar amount (around $100,000), then those items are also covered 100%. It's a much better deal, if you ask me.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #65
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative_catch

Have you all picked or thinking of baby names? I seem to have no trouble coming up with girls names, but stumped on boys names!
We had a girl name picked and were semi-settled on a boy name before we ever got pregnant... Baby fever much? Lol

Annie Grace - this name is very special to us. She is my great, great aunt who is going to be 101 years old this Christmas. She raised my grandfather and his brother after their mother died and also raised my mother and her brothers for a period of time. She is the most kind, loving, prayerful, and godly woman I think I will ever know. She told us after DH and I got married that she had been praying for him since I was a little girl.

Gideon - this is the boy name we have somewhat settled on. I love the strength of this name!! We would like to stick with the initials GEH - those are my DH's grandfather's initials - and we are thinking about Eli or Eugene (also DH's grandfather's middle name) for a middle name. DH mentioned a different name the other day, and making "G" the middle name, in which case I'd really like to use Galen, which was my grandfather's middle name.

Can you tell we are BIG on family names?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #66
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In NY I did not have a private room. Apparently it was a full moon and they had more mothers than usual, plus they were re-doing a maternity ward so half the hospital was under construction. Everywhere else I had a private room. I was fine either way. It would have been better if I was with a DS momma--now that would be fun! I had someone though only for 1 day.

Other than that--I had a massive headache yesterday! Finally caved and took tylenol. Not the norm for me but after 16 hrs of pure pounding I caved!

Feel much better today. I feel this week is going so slow. I think it is bc friday I get my hair done (it has been AWHILE), monday we find out gender (WOO-HOO) and tuesday we head to NJ BABY!!!! For thanksgiving, which we should arrive by wednesday.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #67
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

I really cant complain about my insurance and what they cover. The shared room thing is really the only downside. Even at my last assignment when I delivered on base they even only had private rooms.

No names for us. We have an awfully hard time deciding!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #68
KendallMarie
Registered Users
seller

Private rooms are pretty much not even an option here. There are a small number on the maternity the wards but they are used for women with "special circumstanses" women who've had a still birth are apprently top priority for these I would suspect someone with healthy multiples would be pretty high up the lists too. My specific hospital does have two "theme" rooms you can pay $90/night for but they are first come first serve so it's just pure luck if you happen to get one.

Actually given that I'm just due just week behind the anual "Stampede Baby Boom" I expect I will be lucky to get a delivery room much less a maternity ward room. But I hate hospitals in general so really I'm fine with the idea of being sent home early.

ISO: Fuzzibunz Elite OS, Lg Boy-ish G-diapers, MEAF M, ML, L
IHA: Sm G-diapers, pouches, g-cloth, NB Alvas, NB Sandies, NB Prefolds, NB Bummis covers
KendallMarie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #69
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bai18176 View Post
AFM: Lots of little movements, which makes me very happy And my two littlest are finally almost well!
for movements and for well families too! Sick kids are the worst! Second only to sick DHs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH View Post
Please, people, don't hate me for complaining about this. It sucks! Nothing is comfortable at this point.
I don't hate you for it - I love my big belly!
I do know the phase you're talking about, but it happens really early on for me and doesn't last very long. I can't imagine having to deal with it for weeks or months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative_catch View Post
I don't know how to include another quote from another user

multi-quote: hit the '+' button at the bottom right corner of each post you want to quote, then hit the 'quote' button on the last post. They should all come up in the reply box

Nope, no name picking here. To be honest, we haven't talked about names, and don't talk about the pregnancy or baby much at all. Things are different for us this time.
I don't know if we'll get more comfortable talking about name possibilities maybe after an u/s? I haven't even thought much about names. When they come into my head, I just feel like I can't think or imagine that far ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
I feel this week is going so slow. I think it is bc friday I get my hair done (it has been AWHILE), monday we find out gender (WOO-HOO) and tuesday we head to NJ BABY!!!! For thanksgiving, which we should arrive by wednesday.
I kwym - it feels slow to me too. Possibly because all the bday stuff is done and now I'm just waiting on Christmas?
Part I'm sure is because I told myself I would get to the Dr after DD's birthday was over... and it is... and I'm having a tough time convincing myself to get to the office. See... in a way, it feels like that office was the beginning of the end with Elliana... and I don't want to go through that again. Just having a hard time facing that. I'm not sure that I can do it without DH too... and I'm not sure how/if that will work with his schedule.

Have fun with your hair! for gender! and have a good, fun, and safe trip!

AFM: DH went in this morning to take the car to insurance. they'll cover this fix. Otherwise we're really going to be down to no $$... and Christmas still coming
We've been wanting to get to the city for a night together (and some Christmas shopping) but haven't been able to get a weekend free to go. For the past couple weeks we'd been hoping/planning to go this weekend... but now we have to wait and see what's happening with the car. Oy.

Like I said above, I told myself I'd get to the Dr office after DD's birthday... which was last week... but am having a hard time actually making myself go. I plan to talk with DH tonight and see what he's thinking about it and if he'll be able to come with me - may need someone to hold my hand!
I'm definitely not going to do any "real" prenatal-y stuff until after an u/s, though. And even then I won't be doing a lot of it - no physical, no vag exams, no pap or std screening. Just my bp, weight, fundal height, and blood work. And Hiccup's hr. That's all that I'll go for.

For the most part I'm absolutely terrified to go for an appt and get things going (like the u/s referral). And actually going for the u/s is going to be so damn hard. A small part of me just wants to get it all over with, though, so we have a better idea what we're facing this time. I know things may well be just fine and there may be nothing wrong... which I think would change a lot of things for us as far as our attachment to and outlook with this pregnancy. But I've also been on the other side of things... and so recently... it's just terrifying.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #70
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallMarie View Post
Private rooms are pretty much not even an option here. There are a small number on the maternity the wards but they are used for women with "special circumstanses" women who've had a still birth are apprently top priority for these I would suspect someone with healthy multiples would be pretty high up the lists too. My specific hospital does have two "theme" rooms you can pay $90/night for but they are first come first serve so it's just pure luck if you happen to get one.

Actually given that I'm just due just week behind the anual "Stampede Baby Boom" I expect I will be lucky to get a delivery room much less a maternity ward room. But I hate hospitals in general so really I'm fine with the idea of being sent home early.
Seriously. I hate that. Single rooms are a MUST for mat!

Do you have separate rooms/areas for labor/delivery and then mat?
It was that way where we had DD - in fact, they were on totally different floors - but here you labor and birth and stay all in the one room. Unless you have a c-sec, obviously.

AFM: Sliver lining to my previous post there - 4 months along today
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote