Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
eileenAKAmommy
Mommy to 2 special boys
seller

My Mood:
Weighted blanket, weighted vest, weighted lap pad... Help!

I want to try one with DS1, but they are all pricey. I would rather try one first to see if it will help at all. IS there anyplace where I can "rent" one? LOL. SOunds stupid I know.

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Weighted blanket, weighted vest, weighted lap pad... Help!

I don't know if there is a place. Sorry. I didn't want to invest without knowing whether it would work either, so I sewed some pockets on a piece of fleece and put a few dried beans in each pocket. The weighted blankets are very soothing to lots of kiddos (including mine), so maybe an experiment like that if you can sew? Or maybe use an extra heavy quilt or doubled blanket and compare to how you LO likes that vs. a lightweight blanket. If you have any friends/family who own a weighted blanket I would see if you can pry it away from them for a few days.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our school had some lap pads. Ben's OT also had items we could have tried out.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I don't know if there is a place. Sorry. I didn't want to invest without knowing whether it would work either, so I sewed some pockets on a piece of fleece and put a few dried beans in each pocket. The weighted blankets are very soothing to lots of kiddos (including mine), so maybe an experiment like that if you can sew? Or maybe use an extra heavy quilt or doubled blanket and compare to how you LO likes that vs. a lightweight blanket. If you have any friends/family who own a weighted blanket I would see if you can pry it away from them for a few days.
^^ This is what we did. We found an extra thick comforter and doubled it. He likes that a lot! We also found a weight loss/weight lifters? vest that came with pockets filled with weights, so you can adjust how much is in the vest, second hand for $3. We also found some anklets and wrist weights second hand that he likes to hold and wear. I made a couple of very large, rice filled, heat bags for family one Christmas, and he loved them (like weighted lap pad): they were about 1 foot by 2 feet with channels sewn about every 2 inches across to keep the rice evenly distributed throughout the bag. Turned out to be pretty heavy! There are lots of options out there for weighted items that are not expensive.
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
rileykidmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know about renting, but I know dd's school has them for the kiddos who need them. If ds is in public school and has an IEP, ask his teacher of record or call the special ed district. I worked with a kiddo last year that needed one and it seemed pretty easy to get; it really worked, too.

Some kids respond to carrying a crate laden with books or a backpack weighed down on their shoulders. The kiddo I mentioned above did both of these and the vest, not all at once mind you, but one at a time throughout the school day. Hope this helps!

Last edited by rileykidmama; 11-11-2012 at 04:54 PM.
rileykidmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
CJNeeley
Registered Users
seller

We were able to borrow (free, not rented) from the OT for a 4 day weekend to test run and be sure the weight would be correct.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Be careful. The weight has to be appropriate for the weight of the child. Weights and compression work by dumping serotonin in the brain. Too much will have an opposing effect.

A weighted vest should be worn for 2 hours max then 2 off. A compression vest can be worn all day.

Heavy work (back packs, crates etc) should be done every 2 hours for 10-15 min.

I believe it is 1 pound per 10 pounds of weight. So a 30 pound child needs 3 pounds.

As far as renting I dont know anyone that does. But if you have an OT they may be able to let you borrow one to try.

We get our weighted items from fun and function and they have a return policy.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been wondering the same. Our OT has recommended a weighted vest for my son or a compression shirt/vest. They had mentioned even using a rash guard since we own one already but Luke gets overheated & oddly sweaty & thirsty so easily that I was afraid the rash guard would over heat him.

mom to 1 little guy (12/09) & 3 big girls ('02, '99 & '94)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
krys_mathews
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is useing a "bear hug" vest in school. His school got it through the ISD. Try getting ahold of the local ISD

My ISO http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1298123
krys_mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
kayleesmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How many lbs would work on a child who is like 38 lbs?
kayleesmom is offline   Reply With Quote